Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

spacesaver

mick holmwood

Hi all,

Just bought a 2007 Rav4 XTR D-4D and it has gunk instead of spare wheel . I am looking to get a spacesaver .

Tyres fitted to car are 235/65r17. Has anyone bought a spacesaver for this model and if so what size is needed.

Thanks , Mick.

A vehicle without a spare wheel!  Did you buy it from a dealer?  You need to go back to them if you did and kick their ankles while demanding the spare wheel.  Probably required under H&S rules these days incase you have a puncture on a motorway.

My spare wheel sits on the back door of my 4x4... fully insight and just where it should be. ^

Not sure you understood question. Rav4 2007 onwards did not have a spare they had a can of sealant and a electric air pump. 

This is not much good if you split the tyre or damage the sidewall, they do a full size steel wheel and tyre in a bag for about £300.

This takes up too much space so I want to use a spacesaver.

found size and part numbers on another part of forum so have ordered from toyota,

Thanks for the replies Mick.

How much Mick ?

That's pretty reasonable for a genuine Toyota one !!  May look into that myself, if it will fit my 2011 SR with 18" wheels.

Have you got the part numbers please ?

U42611-42470    WHEEL     X1        

U90942-01021    NUT        X4

T1658017CST17    TYRE   X1

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Mick.

3 hours ago, mick holmwood said:

U90942-01021    NUT        X4

daft question perhaps, but shouldn't that be x5? Doesn't the 2007 RAV4 use 5 wheel nuts? (& of course as it's a steel they should be different from the nuts to use on an alloy)

If you want to find a wheel s/h one from an Avensis (2009> or any 2.2 diesel, not pre 2009 petrols) should fit.

56 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

daft question perhaps, but shouldn't that be x5? Doesn't the 2007 RAV4 use 5 wheel nuts? (& of course as it's a steel they should be different from the nuts to use on an alloy)

If you want to find a wheel s/h one from an Avensis (2009> or any 2.2 diesel, not pre 2009 petrols) should fit.

I've no idea about the part numbers, but as you say a wheel that fits will need five 'nuts'! The standard spacesaver as supplied with my car is a 17" steel while the standard alloys are 18" (235 55 R18s). It doesn't come with different studs - you'd use the same ones as you use to fix the alloys. It doesn't have exactly the same rolling radius but it's close and you are limited to a maximum of 50 mph for a maximum of 50 miles. It's not a spare wheel per se but simply serves to get you out of trouble and to somewhere a 'proper' repair can be made ...

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

The standard spacesaver as supplied with my car is a 17" steel while the standard alloys are 18" (235 55 R18s). It doesn't come with different studs - you'd use the same ones as you use to fix the alloys.

Ideally it should but as an emergency only measure you can use the alloy nuts. Of course the spacesaver should be an "emergency only" fitment but some people keep them on longer than that ... :wacko:

Should read 5 nuts as you say.

part no for nuts are for steel wheel not alloy.

I do tend to find it's the nut holding the wheel causes the issue 😜

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, mick holmwood said:

Not sure you understood question. Rav4 2007 onwards did not have a spare they had a can of sealant and a electric air pump. 

This is not much good if you split the tyre or damage the sidewall, they do a full size steel wheel and tyre in a bag for about £300.

This takes up too much space so I want to use a spacesaver.

Oh I understand the question OK... I am amazed that you are all quite content to accept that you are buying vehicles without a spare wheel!  How did you all get brainwashed into accepting that scenario?  My granddaughter works in an office and blandly accepts that she only gets 30 minutes for lunch; when I was working... we had a civilised 'lunch hour'.  She fails to understand that she has lost something in her quality of life and accepts it as the 'norm'... (what you never had you never miss eh?)  same principle as losing the spare wheel on a modern car.  If Toyota tried to sell me a car without a spare wheel... it would be staying on the forecourt.  If all new owners refused to accept a car without a spare wheel or had to pay extra for it (wot!)... how long do you think it would be before manufactuers started finding a place for them?  Modern Rav4's are as big as garden sheds; no room for a spare wheel... poppycock!

It isn't that Rav4's have no room for spare wheels. In some markets the spare is included.

For some years manufacturers (Toyota, VAG, PSA, GM, Nissan, Ford, etc), for the vehicles they sell weithin the EU, to save weight and improve their official EU fuel consumption test results, deleted spares from the standard specification of some models. 

It isn't anything to do with customers being brainwashed. Toyota have since listened to their customers, and either reinstated the space saver spare in some models or made space saver kits available to purchase. So where a vehicle doesn't have a spare, it is the customer's choice to stay with the repair kit or order the spare wheel kit.

For example, when I ordered my Aygo, the order included the spare wheel kit.

All vehicles should have a spare wheel. No matter what manufacturer make's the vehicle it should have a spare wheel. Not a can of gunk or an option to purchase one or a pump to blow up a tyre. It's ridiculous that when you purchase a motor of any type it has not got this one basic requirement. Even space saver wheel's are a horrible looking - money saving effort by all manufacturer's. People pay an awful lot of money for their car's and it should have a proper size spare as standard. I totally agree with Dave. A spare wheel is an extra that that need's to be ordered = Madness.

Spacesaver is a misnomer.  It's really a weight-saver to, as stated above, minimise fuel consumption.

Whatever one's opinion, in the real world if manufacturers have to save weight to get better results in fuel consumption tests, then they'll save the weight. Whether it is a space saver that goes or something else. 

Saving weight is another reason why the inside areas of body shells which aren't in plain sight and engine bays, aren't finished in top coat or lacquer.

Half a cup of lacquer and top coat may help to prevent rust... I will suffer the 1/2 an ounce weight penalty for that, d'oh.  A better way to improve weight reduction would be to ditch all this digital/electronic crap, emission sensors, electric window winders, auto parking devices and on-board cameras and get back to basics with a car you can actually 'drive'.  Perhaps VW had the right idea... trick (did I say cheat?) the engine management s/ware into giving out the fuel consumption and emission figures that look good.  It's all smoke and mirrors, hype and garnish...

My next car will be a first series Defender or 1947 Land Rover LOL

VAG (VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi, etc) does exactly the same as regards top coat and lacquer - unseen areas of bodyshells don't have these - , deletion of spares, etc.

A spare wheel of some type is a basic need in any car. I find it amazing that u buy a lovely car and it has no spare.( End of rant )

For some a spare is a basic need. For others it isn't. Not every new car purchaser buys a spare wheel.

9 hours ago, daveh_rav4 said:

Half a cup of lacquer and top coat may help to prevent rust... I will suffer the 1/2 an ounce weight penalty for that, d'oh.  A better way to improve weight reduction would be to ditch all this digital/electronic crap, emission sensors, electric window winders, auto parking devices and on-board cameras and get back to basics with a car you can actually 'drive'.  Perhaps VW had the right idea... trick (did I say cheat?) the engine management s/ware into giving out the fuel consumption and emission figures that look good.  It's all smoke and mirrors, hype and garnish...

My next car will be a first series Defender or 1947 Land Rover LOL

Paint is heavier than you think - the US Army Airforce stopped painting its aircraft about 1944 because the weight saved made a real performance improvement.

As for electronic emission controls, I doubt they add weight, compared to the savings by not having a distributor and not having to carry the fuel around that they don't burn :wink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links