Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Auris Ignition Coil Failure

majeeka1976

Hi

i wonder if you could help me .

i have an Auris 2008 1.6 78000 miles that last week started playing up with check engine light and poor performance no acceleration etc

i scanned the codes and diagnosed coil pack failure no 4 cylinder.

i had to wait 21/2 days for my local motor factor to get one and nowhere local had one in stock. This was  soonest I could get one.

Before it arrived I had to drive 40 miles as had no other transport for my job which I did extremely slowly.

I'm concerned that even though it's repaired now after replacement and drives fine I damaged the catalytic converter driving it and I'm in for more issues going forward.

Anyone have any experience or am I worrying for no reason?

Also is this a common fault?

Damian

Strangely enough a coil pack failed on my 1.6 Valvematic (which I think uses the same coils as the 1.6 vvt-i) only a few weeks ago. I needed the car back working asap and nowhere stocks them so I ended up paying over £130 for one from a main dealer:blink: I asked them if it was a common fault and the Toyota parts man said mine was the first one he could remember selling, so I guess not!

There's no reason to suspect it has necesarily damaged the cat, mine has shown no signs of it anyway. I think these engines can actually switch off fueling to the affected cylinder if the ECU detects a dead coil, there was no obvious petrol smell from the exhaust of mine even when I ran it briefly with one coil totally removed. 

Thanks for the reply its greatly appreciated.

It does seem rare enough having coil pack failure on these as the guy in the Motor  Factor said much the same thing as you said. I bought a spare to carry in the car anyway alongside the existing one i replaced.

Reassured by your comment on the injector being disabled.

All seems fine at this point although the coils are pattern copies they seem good enough .

Did you reset your ECU when you replaced your coil or just clear the fault codes ?

Damian

I was in two minds about buying a spare to keep in the car, but not at £130! I thought about ordering another cheaper one through eBay but it's a rare enough fault so I didn't bother with a spare in the end.

I cleared the fault codes, but just so I could see for certain if the fault code came back. It's not strictly necessary to do that or reset the ECU. I've put another 2000 miles or so on the car since and it seems fine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links