Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DIY Push Start Button

stephan2307

Hi,

I think my ignition switch is packing in. 

Does anyone know of any guide on how to install a push to start button on a 56 reg Aygo?

There is a video by Mighty Car Mods where they fit a Start button ignition to an old Diahatsu. However, you still needed the key to be in the barrel, as there is usually a chip inside the key to disable the immobiliser. Plus, you needed to move the key to the first position for the button to be any use.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

There is a video by Mighty Car Mods where they fit a Start button ignition to an old Diahatsu. However, you still needed the key to be in the barrel, as there is usually a chip inside the key to disable the immobiliser. Plus, you needed to move the key to the first position for the button to be any use.

Yes I am fully aware of the fact that the key still needs to be in the lock and on first position.

Is it difficult to replace the ignition switch and is one expensive? I couldn't figure out exactly what I need.

Flat Battery, jammed/jamming starter motor, loose earth!!!

From the fact you say you've checked Battery and alternator, and that the starter is relatively new? (In fact especially as you say the starter is new) check or get a professional to check the earth strap on the starter!!!

(I had an intermittent issues not dissimilar to this with a Daewoo Nexia years back... After the umpteenth call out, an AA patrolman nipped the earth strap tight, problem solved)

Starter motor and Battery were changed by a garage. Starter motor also had an extra earth wire fitted so don't think it's a loose earth.

One thing i realised is that when i put a Battery pack on the Battery the car starts right away.

Could it be that the alternator is faulty instead?

Or could it be that the Battery simply drains really slowly even if there is no key in the ignition?

put a multimeter set to DC volts and connect to the Battery 12v should be showing

start the car meter should be showing between 13.8v and 14.2v

turn on the heated rear screen,head lights on full blowers on full

check the reading it will of dropped now, increase the revs and hold,the reading should go back up

to the 13.8v - 14.2v range if it does then your alternator is fine.

• Like 2

Thanks, will do that tonight ,😁

OK put a voltmeter on the Battery when it wouldn't start.

Everything off 11.4 volts.
Position 1 down to 10.2 volts.
Position 2 ( starting ) down to 2 volts.

Video is attached.
This is doing my head in as the garage that is usually really really good hasn't got a real clue either.

VID_20170406_121040_CLIPCHAMP_480p.mp4

Did some more research and fond that 11.4 volts indicates pretty much a dead Battery

I attempted to start the car a couple of times so might have been a bit lower because I tried that before I took the video?

Will check voltage again once the car stood for a while.

Also, after driving it and then leaving it to stand for a short while, the car will usually start. even if it was just a half a mile trip. Surely this can't be far enough to get Battery charged up enough to get it started again.

if it is the original Battery i feel it is possibly time to buy a new Battery as 11 years is very good

for a Battery, at 6 years batteries can fail, i would fully charge the battery

and redo the multimeter test and check the alternator output as it maybe under charging

or over charging ,over charging can destroy your battery as it can buckle the plates

and allow the battery to discharge itself.

if the car starts easily once the battery is fully charged i would suspect either the battery or alternator.

Ouch, that Battery is fook'd, either that or you have a real bad short draining it somewhere....

Again an issue I've had experience with, got to the point with my pug, that every time I parked I would disconnect the Battery to preserve what charge I could... (also, parking on a hill helped a great deal too)... ;-)

eygo's right about Battery life, 11 years is awesome, 6 is good, with bad winters I've had batteries last as little as 2!!!

Edited by Plob
Change

Battery has only been changed 2 weeks ago. Previous one was only a few months in it before garage swapped it ( for free ). Current one is even bigger than previous one as they thought it might do the trick.

Will see if I can get a Battery charger from somewhere and try charging it over the weekend.

At home I did another check and checked the amps when everything is switched off and I couldn't get any reading but my kit only goes to 10A. but even on 200mA setting it measured nothing. ( I disconnected the negative connection and hooked it in between that ) But car started perfetly fine. Voltage was at 11.94 Volts. Not sure if the kit broken or not.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciated.

Just checked voltage with engine running. It's 13.9. am i right that this is a bit low and it should be between 14.2 and 14.7 ?

Checked voltage this morning at 8.25 and it was at 12.39 volts after driving last night for 2 miles and this morning about 6 miles.

Making sure that I am not using any heaters, radio etc. Will check voltage at lunch time before I attempt starting it and see what the voltage says then.

Latest update.

At 12:20 the voltage dropped down to 11.84 volts. thats in 4 hours.

Been told by a friend that it could be the diode in the alternator that is gone thus charging the Battery when engine runs but then draws electricity when engine is turned off.

Hi Stephan

It looks like this is driving you bonkers and as you have a new Battery, a new starter motor and have checked the earth lead, there is only one thing left.....I guess you know that's the alternator and they can give very funny faults.

Quite a few years ago, I had a car that was "eating" fan belts, after being in the garage for a few times and many belts, somebody said that it was the alternator, intermittantly charging at 24 volts and therefore seizing up and melting the belt. A change of alternator cured it and whilst this has nothing to do with your problem, it just shows that faults with alternators can drag on.

If I where you, after the expence that you've already had, I'd bite the bullet and spend a bit more by getting a new alternator fitted. I may be wrong but at least then, you would know that you have renewed everything and you might get a bit of enjoyment out of the car instead of all the frustration that you've had lately.

Sorry that I can't be of more help, I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for but it's all I've got.

Good luck and all the best! :smile:

P.S. Just another thought, you haven't got anything connected to the car that is draining the Battery have you?  Some Dash cams can be left on all the time, OBD2 transmitters (For the Torque app) can be, as can those "See how you are driving" snooper things that some insurance companies are giving out in exchange for a policy amount reduction......To be honest, I still think it's the alternator but you never know.

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes it is driving me crazy but I am determined not to spend any more unnecessary money as I have already spend money trying to "fix" the problem.

no nothing connected at all. Even decided to unplug the heating from rear window. Garage suggested to unplug the alternator fuse when parking it and seeing if the Battery is getting drained again.

Luckily I have a small Battery pack that I can use to quickly start the car when it wont start. 

Will see what happens. Not in a real rush as I only drive locally. But I have the feeling it is heading towards alternator replacement.

Thanks for your reply.

if the diode has failed in the alternator you can normally see the charging light glowing very dim

when the ignition is off ,it is easier to see at night when its dark this will drain your Battery

in a relatively short space of time, if you feel this is the case then you could ask a friend to

remove the alternator fuse whilst you look at the dash to see if the light goes out.

• Like 2

Toyota have always had an ignition switch issue. My old Mk1 had the problem years back, and it was easy to change for me. I changed the switch in around 15 minutes from first screw to starting the car. Also somebody did mention in the Avensis forum back then, somebody fitted a push button instead of changing the switch.

Since the Aygo is a joint venture with PSA, is the switch Toyota or not? 

On 07/04/2017 at 3:59 PM, eygo said:

if the diode has failed in the alternator you can normally see the charging light glowing very dim

when the ignition is off ,it is easier to see at night when its dark this will drain your battery

in a relatively short space of time, if you feel this is the case then you could ask a friend to

remove the alternator fuse whilst you look at the dash to see if the light goes out.

Thanks,

Where is the alternator fuse? tried to figure it out but failed. Just says "Fuse box in engine compartment (back side)". Not really sure what it means.

• 4 months later...

just found this article for you GEM85

this is for an avensis but i feel it will be the same for the aygo

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links