Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis vibrates a lot when I'm in drive and stopped at the lights. Smooth when driving along though

Avenis-auto-2006

I e had the fuel assembly cleaned and car serviced properly etc but shakes when in drive and stopped at a red light. Smoother if in neutral

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Post moved to the Avensis club.

Hi Peter, you might want to tell us what engine, which transmission (I am assume that it's an auto of some sort) & how many miles on it.

Maybe needs a transmission fluid change?

Yes it's 1.8 petrol auto gearbox with around 72000 miles. Hadn't thought of tranny oil change. It can clunk a tiny bit when shifting whilst car is in motion. So maybe oil change would help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 10:54 PM, Avenis-auto-2006 said:

Yes it's 1.8 petrol auto gearbox with around 72000 miles. Hadn't thought of tranny oil change. It can clunk a tiny bit when shifting whilst car is in motion. So maybe oil change would help.

My 1.8 VVTi petrol shakes at idle like a sh1tting dog. It also consumes a litre of oil every 650 miles - the engine's ******, probably like yours. 

• Like 1

his is a 2006 so shouldn't have the oil consumption issue.

12 minutes ago, Kind Panda said:

My 1.8 VVTi petrol shakes at idle like a sh1tting dog. It also consumes a litre of oil every 650 miles - the engine's ******, probably like yours. 

Wow, what a positive statement Kind Panda :biggrin:

Volvo does this. I take it out of drive at the lights

Its just the torque converter pressure

My 55 plate Avensis 1.8vvti auto didn't shake while stationary, irrespective of whether in gear or not.  Actually I've never had an auto shake while stationary (and I've owned/driven quite a few over the last 30 odd years, including a Volvo 440 with cvt).  If yours still shakes in neutral, albeit less, then I suggest the engine is running rough, not a problem with the gearbox.

Hi if your having vibration when stopped in gear you have a few reasons why 1) tickover is incorrect or software ecu issue not raising your tickover / mixture / timing to compensate load on engine 2) you have a running fault caused by misfire / valve clearance compression issue 3) the torque converter / stator has an issue stall test needed . It can be so many different things I suggest seeking the advice of a decent mechanic who you can show the fault you have . Good luck 

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links