Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine troubles 2003 140 celica

Lonewolf52nd

Hi there

im having problems with my 140bhp, 2003 celica. It's got a 2004 engine in with 60k miles on the clock and the radiator was changed over before the engine problems occurred (before then the engine ran fine, just had heating problems with the radiator leaking coolant). This has since been done, and now when you start her up, she doesn't idle very well. It'll hover around 500-800 rpm, and every few seconds go up to 1500, maybe 2000, then a second or two back down to 500 to 800. Same whilst revving. She'll rev, go to where you rev her two, but it'll cut out and go down, then go back up. 

The engine light is on but when I went to get the code it wouldn't speak to the ecu (or vice Versa?) not sure if electrical problem or not, any ideas? 

Really don't want to get rid of the car as I love it but if it's done for :( 

I've uploaded a video hope it helps to identify what's wrong? 

many thanks in advance 

Mike

IMG_5566.MOV

If you did not have the problems before changing the radiator, it has got something to do with that.

What I noticed is that there is no temperature indication on your gages.
At cold start there should be a digital temperature dial laying horizontal just like in this video: https://youtu.be/fRjiHjStN1Q?t=32

Did you do the radiator swap yourself ? Was the temperature sensor disconnected ?
Does the engine sound rough? Does it get better is the engine is warm? Is there enough coolant in the system?

Also the idle valve that regulates the amount of incoming air during idle is heated by the coolant. Check that all the air is out of the system.
If nothing helps, really do try to get the error code because there could be something different going on, unexpectedly .

• Like 1

I had a 2003 140 Celi before I changed to my current V6 Estima...brilliant car and never put a foot wrong in 2+years.:biggrin:

There is no reason why your codes can't be read...and that's the place to start.

It MAY be the two events are connected...but it's not a given.

e.g. Vacuum and MAF issues can give similar symptoms.

Guessing can be expensive...get the code.!

Neil

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 10:38 AM, Marco008 said:

If you did not have the problems before changing the radiator, it has got something to do with that.

What I noticed is that there is no temperature indication on your gages.
At cold start there should be a digital temperature dial laying horizontal just like in this video: https://youtu.be/fRjiHjStN1Q?t=32

Did you do the radiator swap yourself ? Was the temperature sensor disconnected ?
Does the engine sound rough? Does it get better is the engine is warm? Is there enough coolant in the system?

Also the idle valve that regulates the amount of incoming air during idle is heated by the coolant. Check that all the air is out of the system.
If nothing helps, really do try to get the error code because there could be something different going on, unexpectedly .

Heya

I didn't even notice that there wasn't a gauge where it should be, I didn't change the radiator myself but I know who did, they couldn't get it running right and they tried to get the engine code but it didn't speak to the ecu (apparently, it's a snap on reader but not sure if that makes a difference?) 

but yeah I'll definitely look into this when I'm back down where the car is! The coolant is above the minimal mark so I could always top it up a small bit (to the max) and see and I'll definitely check to make sure all the air is out; I don't think I there's an air lock but that temp gauge problem may be a big clue to what's going on! Any suggestions on a reader that should talk to the ecu? 

Many thanks!!! 

On 16/04/2017 at 10:41 AM, Marco008 said:

Problem solved itself i presume ?

Not yet sorry for the late replying! I'm in Birmingham and my cars 50 miles at my parents so it's a case of 'when I can get down there' I only just checked this today and seen your reply which is good so I'll be looking into it when I'm down! :) 

On 14/04/2017 at 1:51 PM, RUToyota said:

I had a 2003 140 Celi before I changed to my current V6 Estima...brilliant car and never put a foot wrong in 2+years.:biggrin:

There is no reason why your codes can't be read...and that's the place to start.

It MAY be the two events are connected...but it's not a given.

e.g. Vacuum and MAF issues can give similar symptoms.

Guessing can be expensive...get the code.!

Neil

Yeah definitely couod do with finding out the code for sure! I'm tempted to buy my own code reader and have a play to see what's going on, definitely going to look into the air flow and temperature gauge side of it though! I was thinking electrical / fuel pump / injector problems... 

thank you :)