Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant temp.

mrpj

Has anyone with an OBD2 reader observed their engine cooling water temperature? 1.33 litre engine. I realise modern petrol engines are now quite efficient but after a 5 miles journey at mostly 50mph the temp. only reaches around 50 degC. After a 60/70mph motorway trip it does eventually attain 90deg.C. Ambient 11 degC.

The low temp. lamp does extinguish after a couple of miles but that looks to be set quite low, 30 degrees ish. 

I suspect it is normal but would appreciate confirmation.

Hi Peter,

That sounds about normal, for the cool weather. How much time does the short trips take?

If they are like mine that take less than 10 mins, then you can expect the engine still hasn't warmed up fully..

• 4 weeks later...

Generally speaking, an engine doesn't get up to temperature until about 10 minutes after start (under load, e.g. normal driving). Also, the water doesn't start circulating immediately, in order to allow the engine block to warm up, so there may be some delay there, too (I think the temp sensor is in the reservoir).