Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Optimal tyre pressure and tyre brands.

DanSFriend76

Hello everybody. I own a 58 plate D4D T2 Avensis estate (2.0) I've been advised that, unladen, all four tyres should be at 35 psi. This seems low to me for a car of this size and weight. I use Good Year Efficient Grip, and also would welcome opinions about the best tyres to use that won't break the bank. Thanks for your help. Dan

The optimal tyre pressures would be those stated by the manufacturer on the tyre information plate - often found at the base of either C pillar or in the glovebox.

As regards tyres, one can look at published tests - eg http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-20162017

Bear in mind that, as Goodyear manufacture Dunlop tyres for the European market, both brands offer very similar tyres.

Otherwise it is very much a personal choice.

• Like 1

35psi I think is just a general industry standard. I'd say it's a good balance between fuel economy, tyre life and ride comfort for most cars.

My Yaris is rated at something like 35psi front, 32 psi rear, but I normally run 38-40 psi at the front and 35-36 psi at the rear as I find it gives better fuel economy and tyre wear at the expense of ride comfort.