Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'99 turn signal switch wearing out - workaround

Modano

Hi All,

my 1999 2.0 TD is starting to have the left indicator switch wearing out. (265k kms)

Since a couple of days, it is starting to "fail" more than half of the time, and this is worsening. By failing, I mean, the indicator ticks twice as fast (like for a blown bulb). No blown bulb, hazard lights are fine and right indicator is perfect (no relay issue I guess).

So I dismounted the switch assembly, and saw the usual 3 brass points, the center one being a little bit wearing, and the spring-pushed metal part also is starting to seriously getting worn.

Using a contact cleaner on the metal plate (pushed by the spring) didn't help...I tried to solder something, but I think the 60% stain isn't "soldering" there...then I thought of a bad trick : I prepared a small squared aluminium foil (bent several times) and positioned it on top of the center "brass point". It seems to work flawlessly...

My question : How much current goes through these brass connectors ? Is that only a signal, then relayed, or is there the whole indicator current going through these connectors ? I mean, is there a specific risk of using this aluminium foil there ? I careful not removed the dielectric grease, although a bit is gone in the cleaning. I don't want to mess anything.

Thanks ;)

Years back I had the same problem. If I can remember correctly, I dismantled the indicator switch and bent the contact for the left side a bit, to make better contact. I used contact cleaner and I think I turn and part of the contact around. It worked well after that. I then changed the whole switch a couple of years ago because the lights flickered when switched to main beam. I installed a phase two, face lift.

So if your car is a higher spec with front fogs, you can still use the later face lift Mk1, if you are not successful with the indicators. 

Hi Konrad,

thx for your reply.

The whole switch I have should be a MK1.PH1. It has front fogs, and it has a wire attached to a black box that fits on top of the steering wheel housing. No idea what it is used for, but on eBay I never saw a similar assembly. Do you confirm that a MK1. PH2 (FL) works the same ? Did they somehow replace this black wired housing into the switch ?

And any confirmation no big current or danger on using multiple alu foils in that place. Thanks

1 hour ago, Modano said:

Hi Konrad,

thx for your reply.

The whole switch I have should be a MK1.PH1. It has front fogs, and it has a wire attached to a black box that fits on top of the steering wheel housing. No idea what it is used for, but on ebay I never saw a similar assembly. Do you confirm that a MK1. PH2 (FL) works the same ? Did they somehow replace this black wired housing into the switch ?

And any confirmation no big current or danger on using multiple alu foils in that place. Thanks

Yes I can confirm that the phase 2 T22 with front fog switch will fit and work. Here is the post - 

Glad I found it as I would have to go through my archives to find the photos.:smile: