Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please, help!

foxtrot18

I need help, please. My Toyota Aygo will be 8 years old in June but only done 22,000 miles. Its an automatic. I could not start an engine so called out 2 Gether breakdown company as I have nationwide cover with home start with them. Egertons came and. charged the batteries up for 10 min and advised the alternator needs checking. Did not do any checks. Told he can't fix it and they can accompany me to the nearest garage. Found kwik fit can accept but can not do anything until Tuesday and new alternator would cost £265 at least. He said it only charging 12 valts instead of 13. Anyway, he advised not to drive and that the batteries are going to last for 10 min. Anyway the egertons gone after 15 min as he had another call.  I managed to move my car into my garage and just could not reverse back. Then could not start the car again. Car remote key fob stopped working. Yesterday I borrowed battery charger and left to charge the Battery  overnight. Today I started engine and its starting perfectly fine but car is not moving up and can't reverse. The lights are working but the indicators and whipers aren't. Car remote key fob isn't working. The display is on but I can see ! sign  twice on display.  The steering wheel is very heavy. Please can someone advise? Much appreciated. 

I'm really sorry to hear your problems, but I've had the alternator go on mine & the symptoms sound the same. Also the cost of replacement was similar. It could be charged but did only last fow 10 minutes or so.

I hope you can find someone to replace it for you over the Bank Holiday.

• Like 2

Hi Foxtrot18 and welcome to the board :smile:

I'm with Petesellit on this one, I'm afraid.....It sounds like the alternator to me.

Your Egerton's Guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has probably seen the problem before....It would have been nicer if he had spent a bit more time with you, just to explain things properly but these chaps are under pressure from "Above" and have to answer for themselves....To be fair, I bet he would have preferred to have a brew and a chat but he just couldn't.

Like Peter says, I too am sorry for your problems and hope that you get it sorted out...£265 does sound like a kick in the teeth but it looks to me as if that's the only way to get you back on the road.  Sorry about that. :sad:

Good luck and all the best. 

• Like 1

On the up side, swapping out an alternator really is a quick fix!!!

(You could even go down the DIY route if no one can fit you in?

Europarts have it on click and collect for today, under £180, I don't have a workshop manual for this but it's usually just 2-3 bolts, and an electrical connection or two?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plob said:

On the up side, swapping out an alternator really is a quick fix!!!

(You could even go down the DIY route if no one can fit you in?

Europarts have it on click and collect for today, under £180, I don't have a workshop manual for this but it's usually just 2-3 bolts, and an electrical connection or two?)

Plob is right it is a quick job to get done :smile: I left my car at The Garage after being towed there by AA & put keys in their letter box so they had it 1st thing. I gave them a ring in morning to confirm the problem & had the car back & running by 2.00pm.

-£260 odd but happy to be back on the road

It's worth noting that Euro Car Parts refund you £50 when you buy a new alternator from them and hand your old one in at the same time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links