• Review Your Toyota
      Review Your Toyota
    • Save Up To 15% Off For Members
      Save Up To 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • 1000's Of Toyota Cars For Sale
      1000's Of Toyota Cars For Sale
    • Huge Range of Toyota Parts
      Huge Range of Toyota Parts
    • Get Your Club Gear!
      Get Your Club Gear!


AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.


kokkios

Toyota Rav4 and Bmw engines

18 posts in this topic

Hello boys and girls. My first post here!!!

I am looking to buy the new 2017 2.0L Diesel Toyota Rav4  (143hp/320Nm) powered by the Bmw engine to replace my current Bmw e92. 

I am making this change because my 2008 BMW 320i petrol gave me nightmares reliability-wise. Imagine my horror when i found out that the my brand new Toyota already on order is using a BMW engine. Already started thinking about a possible change of my order in favor of the hybrid one (+3000 euros). However i don't want to rush into anything before i have all the facts.  

So i would like to ask if any of you fellow enthusiasts  knows which BMW engine is being used by Toyota. Is it the N47 or the B47? Any insides concerning reliability?

Thanks a lot!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Toyota are using the N47 diesel engine in the Verso and Auris (1.6), Avensis (1.6 and 2.0), and Rav4 (2.0 litre).

BMW were supposed to have fixed the timing chain issues in 2011. According to reports,Toyota use their own design of dual mass flywheel, stop/start system and a new fuel injection system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2017 at 7:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota are using the N47 diesel engine in the Verso and Auris (1.6), Avensis (1.6 and 2.0), and Rav4 (2.0 litre).

BMW were supposed to have fixed the timing chain issues in 2011. According to reports, Toyota use their own design of dual mass flywheel, stop/start system and a new fuel injection system.

 

Thanks mate for the info. 

So is it safe to assume that having the N47 engine around for a decade and working on it to solve issues it must now be a very reliable base for an engine?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The N47 has been fitted to the Verso since January 2014, the Auris and Avensis from mid 2015, and the Rav4 since November 2015. I haven't seen any particular issues on these forums with the N47 for either vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kokkios said:

Hello boys and girls. My first post here!!!

I am looking to buy the new 2017 2.0L Diesel Toyota Rav4  (143hp/320Nm) powered by the Bmw engine to replace my current Bmw e92. 

I am making this change because my 2008 BMW 320i petrol gave me nightmares reliability-wise. Imagine my horror when i found out that the my brand new Toyota already on order is using a BMW engine. Already started thinking about a possible change of my order in favor of the hybrid one (+3000 euros). However i don't want to rush into anything before i have all the facts.  

So i would like to ask if any of you fellow enthusiasts  knows which BMW engine is being used by Toyota. Is it the N47 or the B47? Any insides concerning reliability?

Thanks a lot!

I really do feel your concern. I found out after placing my order it had a BMW engine in! But seems like they have used some improved parts. The idea behind the german engine is that Toyota are now investing in hybrid/electric and no longer interested in diesel, hence outsourced it to a 'reliable' engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think also that Toyota needed a 1.6 diesel for the Auris/Avensis/Verso for their European market as they had a gap in their engine range, and it was also easier and cheaper to use an existing design from another manufacturer. The co-operation between Toyota and BMW, as well as the use of both 1.6 and 2.0 versions of the BMW engine by Toyota, included the sharing of Toyota's battery technology with BMW, and the joint development of a new sports car (new Toyota Supra/ BMW Z5 - which will reportedly be built by Magna Steyr in Austria). 

Outside of Europe believe Toyota still use their own diesel engines.

Toyota are still developing their own diesels, having recently launched new 2.4 and 2.8 litre diesel engines for the Hilux in 2015/16. Lexus won't be using the BMW engines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The N47 has been fitted to the Verso since January 2014, the Auris and Avensis from mid 2015, and the Rav4 since November 2015. I haven't seen any particular issues on these forums with the N47 for either vehicle.

Three years now should be indicative of the reliability of this joint venture. From what i read the timing chain aside the N47 engine wasn't that bad. 

I think i will stick to my original choice and get the better value more torquey 2.0L diesel manual instead of spending 3000 euros more for the automatic hybrid. Although to be honest i don't feel that confident on reaching my trouble-free half a million kms on this car anymore :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With many major UK cities contemplating banning diesel engine cars from city centers because of pollution particulates... I suppose you could park out side these cities and catch the bus in.  I am glad I choose a petrol engine Rav4 when I purchased mine some years ago despite the government of the time extolling the virtues of diesel engines.

No doubt  diesel engine manufactures will be scrambling to improve emissions, but the political will has been cast now against diesels… how times change LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the problem is not so much the particulates (they are already addressed by DPFs), but invisible gases NO and NO2 (collectively known as NOx).  These are much harder to address, and the levels produced on the road are far higher than those measured in the standard tests.

The harder the industry tries to clean them up, the more complicated and less reliable (and therefore more expensive to run) they become.  I can anticipate a time when any car found to have the EGR blanked will be impounded and crushed.  The writing is definitely on the wall for diesels.

 

Mine's a petrol :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The New 1.6 Diesel engine are Euro 6 emission Which passed the https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone . 

All cities outside London will follow the ULMZ planned- 

: Diesel Cars meet the Euro 6 emission will not be charge for entering the ULMZ area. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kitkat-HK said:

The New 1.6 Diesel engine are Euro 6 emission Which passed the https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone . 

All cities outside London will follow the ULMZ planned- 

: Diesel Cars meet the Euro 6 emission will not be charge for entering the ULMZ area. 

The cities outside London have lower concentrations of NO2, and won't have the same measures as London - for example London has the highest class of Clean Air Zone (class D), Birmingham and Leeds are Class C, with Derby, Nottingham and Southampton being Class B.  There aren't plans to either implement an ULEZ outside of London, nor charge private cars entering Clean Air Zones outside of London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kitkat-HK said:

The New 1.6 Diesel engine are Euro 6 emission Which passed the https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone . 

All cities outside London will follow the ULMZ planned- 

: Diesel Cars meet the Euro 6 emission will not be charge for entering the ULMZ area. 

 

It won't last long - Euro 6 cars on-road emissions are many times higher than those measured under the standard test conditions.  Be prepared for Euro (7+x) which will be so hard to achieve that the car makers will just give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated news !  Only those diesels cars before 2005 will be included on the diesel scrappage scheme up to £2000.

any Diesel cars registered after 2005 won't be eligible and faced losing 40% car value : ( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kitkat-HK said:

Updated news !  Only those diesels cars before 2005 will be included on the diesel scrappage scheme up to £2000.

any Diesel cars registered after 2005 won't be eligible and faced losing 40% car value : ( 

These are only proposals at present - the Government hasn't announced whether or when they will introduce a scrappage scheme, nor what the terms and conditions of the scheme will be. It is thought they may announce a scheme shortly, but until they make an announcement,everything is conjecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully not long before the government announcement. 

By the way, normally I drove around to 330 miles n then last lights start flashing !! 

On my last full tank , I driving like a old man , so smooth n driving around 55 mph on motorway with many lorries taking over me. 

This time I managed to get 380 miles and still got 3 lights left on the dashboard. The on board computer says still got 110 miles range. 

Wonder how many more miles I can get before the last lights start flashing? 

How many miles per full tank u guys can get ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you hijackers wants to comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine other than to say that whilst lurking around on this and other RAV forums I haven't seen many reports of issues - and you would assume that folk would get pretty vocal if there were fundamental flaws in the design. That said it hasn't been around in the Toyota form that long either ...

As I understand, the 2.0L Rav4 diesel comes with front wheel drive and a manual gearbox only - i.e. it is effectively a 'standard' estate car focused on fuel efficiency.

The petrol and hybrid versions offer AWD and automatic options ... but I suspect that you knew all that when you made your original choice ... :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, philip42h said:

I can't comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine other than to say that whilst lurking around on this and other RAV forums I haven't seen many reports of issues - and you would assume that folk would get pretty vocal if there were fundamental flaws in the design. That said it hasn't been around in the Toyota form that long either ...

As I understand, the 2.0L Rav4 diesel comes with front wheel drive and a manual gearbox only - i.e. it is effectively a 'standard' estate car focused on fuel efficiency.

The petrol and hybrid versions offer AWD and automatic options ... but I suspect that you knew all that when you made your original choice ... :smile:

Thanks for your opinion man. I chose the diesel version (although its a manual and i would love to have an automatic) mainly because of the better torque and being 3000 euros cheaper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now