Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav4 and Bmw engines

kokkios

Hello boys and girls. My first post here!!!

I am looking to buy the new 2017 2.0L Diesel Toyota Rav4  (143hp/320Nm) powered by the Bmw engine to replace my current Bmw e92. 

I am making this change because my 2008 BMW 320i petrol gave me nightmares reliability-wise. Imagine my horror when i found out that the my brand new Toyota already on order is using a BMW engine. Already started thinking about a possible change of my order in favor of the hybrid one (+3000 euros). However i don't want to rush into anything before i have all the facts.  

So i would like to ask if any of you fellow enthusiasts  knows which BMW engine is being used by Toyota. Is it the N47 or the B47? Any insides concerning reliability?

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Toyota are using the N47 diesel engine in the Verso and Auris (1.6), Avensis (1.6 and 2.0), and Rav4 (2.0 litre).

BMW were supposed to have fixed the timing chain issues in 2011. According to reports,Toyota use their own design of dual mass flywheel, stop/start system and a new fuel injection system.

On 17/04/2017 at 7:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota are using the N47 diesel engine in the Verso and Auris (1.6), Avensis (1.6 and 2.0), and Rav4 (2.0 litre).

BMW were supposed to have fixed the timing chain issues in 2011. According to reports, Toyota use their own design of dual mass flywheel, stop/start system and a new fuel injection system.

Thanks mate for the info. 

So is it safe to assume that having the N47 engine around for a decade and working on it to solve issues it must now be a very reliable base for an engine?  

The N47 has been fitted to the Verso since January 2014, the Auris and Avensis from mid 2015, and the Rav4 since November 2015. I haven't seen any particular issues on these forums with the N47 for either vehicle.

5 hours ago, kokkios said:

Hello boys and girls. My first post here!!!

I am looking to buy the new 2017 2.0L Diesel Toyota Rav4  (143hp/320Nm) powered by the Bmw engine to replace my current Bmw e92. 

I am making this change because my 2008 BMW 320i petrol gave me nightmares reliability-wise. Imagine my horror when i found out that the my brand new Toyota already on order is using a BMW engine. Already started thinking about a possible change of my order in favor of the hybrid one (+3000 euros). However i don't want to rush into anything before i have all the facts.  

So i would like to ask if any of you fellow enthusiasts  knows which BMW engine is being used by Toyota. Is it the N47 or the B47? Any insides concerning reliability?

Thanks a lot!

I really do feel your concern. I found out after placing my order it had a BMW engine in! But seems like they have used some improved parts. The idea behind the german engine is that Toyota are now investing in hybrid/electric and no longer interested in diesel, hence outsourced it to a 'reliable' engine. 

Think also that Toyota needed a 1.6 diesel for the Auris/Avensis/Verso for their European market as they had a gap in their engine range, and it was also easier and cheaper to use an existing design from another manufacturer. The co-operation between Toyota and BMW, as well as the use of both 1.6 and 2.0 versions of the BMW engine by Toyota, included the sharing of Toyota's Battery technology with BMW, and the joint development of a new sports car (new Toyota Supra/ BMW Z5 - which will reportedly be built by Magna Steyr in Austria). 

Outside of Europe believe Toyota still use their own diesel engines.

Toyota are still developing their own diesels, having recently launched new 2.4 and 2.8 litre diesel engines for the Hilux in 2015/16. Lexus won't be using the BMW engines.

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The N47 has been fitted to the Verso since January 2014, the Auris and Avensis from mid 2015, and the Rav4 since November 2015. I haven't seen any particular issues on these forums with the N47 for either vehicle.

Three years now should be indicative of the reliability of this joint venture. From what i read the timing chain aside the N47 engine wasn't that bad. 

I think i will stick to my original choice and get the better value more torquey 2.0L diesel manual instead of spending 3000 euros more for the automatic hybrid. Although to be honest i don't feel that confident on reaching my trouble-free half a million kms on this car anymore :) 

With many major UK cities contemplating banning diesel engine cars from city centers because of pollution particulates... I suppose you could park out side these cities and catch the bus in.  I am glad I choose a petrol engine Rav4 when I purchased mine some years ago despite the government of the time extolling the virtues of diesel engines.

No doubt  diesel engine manufactures will be scrambling to improve emissions, but the political will has been cast now against diesels… how times change LOL

Actually, the problem is not so much the particulates (they are already addressed by DPFs), but invisible gases NO and NO2 (collectively known as NOx).  These are much harder to address, and the levels produced on the road are far higher than those measured in the standard tests.

The harder the industry tries to clean them up, the more complicated and less reliable (and therefore more expensive to run) they become.  I can anticipate a time when any car found to have the EGR blanked will be impounded and crushed.  The writing is definitely on the wall for diesels.

Mine's a petrol :wink:

The New 1.6 Diesel engine are Euro 6 emission Which passed the https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone . 

All cities outside London will follow the ULMZ planned- 

: Diesel Cars meet the Euro 6 emission will not be charge for entering the ULMZ area. 

1 hour ago, Kitkat-HK said:

The New 1.6 Diesel engine are Euro 6 emission Which passed the https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone . 

: Diesel Cars meet the Euro 6 emission will not be charge for entering the ULMZ area. 

The cities outside London have lower concentrations of NO2, and won't have the same measures as London - for example London has the highest class of Clean Air Zone (class D), Birmingham and Leeds are Class C, with Derby, Nottingham and Southampton being Class B.  There aren't plans to either implement an ULEZ outside of London, nor charge private cars entering Clean Air Zones outside of London.

2 hours ago, Kitkat-HK said:

It won't last long - Euro 6 cars on-road emissions are many times higher than those measured under the standard test conditions.  Be prepared for Euro (7+x) which will be so hard to achieve that the car makers will just give up.

Updated news !  Only those diesels cars before 2005 will be included on the diesel scrappage scheme up to £2000.

any Diesel cars registered after 2005 won't be eligible and faced losing 40% car value : ( 

3 minutes ago, Kitkat-HK said:

Updated news !  Only those diesels cars before 2005 will be included on the diesel scrappage scheme up to £2000.

any Diesel cars registered after 2005 won't be eligible and faced losing 40% car value : ( 

These are only proposals at present - the Government hasn't announced whether or when they will introduce a scrappage scheme, nor what the terms and conditions of the scheme will be. It is thought they may announce a scheme shortly, but until they make an announcement,everything is conjecture.

Hopefully not long before the government announcement. 

By the way, normally I drove around to 330 miles n then last lights start flashing !! 

On my last full tank , I driving like a old man , so smooth n driving around 55 mph on motorway with many lorries taking over me. 

This time I managed to get 380 miles and still got 3 lights left on the dashboard. The on board computer says still got 110 miles range. 

Wonder how many more miles I can get before the last lights start flashing? 

How many miles per full tank u guys can get ?

Any of you hijackers wants to comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine? 

I can't comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine other than to say that whilst lurking around on this and other RAV forums I haven't seen many reports of issues - and you would assume that folk would get pretty vocal if there were fundamental flaws in the design. That said it hasn't been around in the Toyota form that long either ...

As I understand, the 2.0L Rav4 diesel comes with front wheel drive and a manual gearbox only - i.e. it is effectively a 'standard' estate car focused on fuel efficiency.

The petrol and hybrid versions offer AWD and automatic options ... but I suspect that you knew all that when you made your original choice ... :smile:

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

I can't comment on the reliability of the new 2.0L Rav4 diesel engine other than to say that whilst lurking around on this and other RAV forums I haven't seen many reports of issues - and you would assume that folk would get pretty vocal if there were fundamental flaws in the design. That said it hasn't been around in the Toyota form that long either ...

As I understand, the 2.0L Rav4 diesel comes with front wheel drive and a manual gearbox only - i.e. it is effectively a 'standard' estate car focused on fuel efficiency.

The petrol and hybrid versions offer AWD and automatic options ... but I suspect that you knew all that when you made your original choice ... :smile:

Thanks for your opinion man. I chose the diesel version (although its a manual and i would love to have an automatic) mainly because of the better torque and being 3000 euros cheaper 

• 4 years later...

We have 2016 Rav4 now using 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles 

avoid at all costs

Thats a lot of oil. I would trade it in i think. 

16 hours ago, Esther mcaleer said:

We have 2016 Rav4 now using 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles 

avoid at all costs

I don't get it... Firstly why bump a post from 4 years ago? As we've established it's 2021, RAV's come with a 5 year warranty which means it's either in main warranty and you're covered and should be dealing with the dealer to see what they suggest, or you're just out of warranty, but if it's serviced by a franchise dealer you get a 12 months/10K warranty extension, that is unless NI is subject to a different policy?

To inform people not to buy a second hand Rav with a bmw engine i imagine.  She's obviously not a happy Toyota customer.

If the vehicle was bought in the Republic (the poster is in Northern Ireland), it would have had a 3 year/100,000km new car warranty - which would have expired by now. No detail on mileage - so it could be outside the UK new car warranty.

Bit of a pointless post.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for bringing an old thread back to life, but has there been any recalls from Toyota on these engines? BMW have had at least one on the EGR cooling, perhaps two. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links