Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glove Box Cooled

Mr Wolf

My previous car was a Kia Ceed 2 Sportswagon and fitted as standard was a air-con cooled glove box. With the air-con on it seemed the temperature was much cooler within the confines of the glovebox than the rest of the car and was ideal to use to keep drinks and food cool. Not being technical I presume the air-con output was directed separately into the glovebox. I wonder if other cars have this feature? And I also wondered how easy it would be to achieve the same thing in my Avensis?

Our current Hyundai i20 has a cooling function within the glovebox, which can be turned on or off as required - as did our previous i20. Not a feature that is included on the Avensis, and I don't see how it can be achieved without altering the way the air con works, which would cause issues with the warranty. 

If it was out of warranty I'd look at diverting the footwell vent on the passenger side. Or cutting a hole and forming a duct from another pipe behind dashboard.

Only for the summer months - you might want to blow hot air during colder times. 

An alternative may be a 12V peltier cooler. These seem to be available on a large online retailer named after a South American river. This might be a better option as it could be installed in a "reversible" way, given warranty considerations. 

Jez

A 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Ghia has a cooled/heated glovebox.  The 'feet' air outlet at the passenger side has a tube feeding it.  A Zetec Climate spec Focus of the same age didn't have the feature, so I assume it was only the top spec.  I've no idea if the current versions have it or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links