Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Central locking problems.

craggle

Anyone here ever had central locking issues? 

Went out today, locked the car as normal but when I got back I couldn't unlock the car. Had to use the emergency key in the drivers door but once inside the car started as normal. 

Still cant lock the doors, unlock them and the boot lid won't work at all. Don't think there is a manual way to unlock the boot either so no chance of putting anything in there anymore! 

I will pop past the dealer sometime to see if they can read any fault codes on it but just curious if anyone has seen anything similar? 

Craig. 

Could it be that the fob Battery needs replacing?

Does the little LED flash on the fob when pressing the button?

Is this issue just with keyless entry or using the fob buttons as well?

Hi Mark

Unfortunately I have just put a new Battery in the fob and it happens if you press the handle or the key fob buttons. The light does flash on the key fob and the lights on the car flash but nothing more happens. 

I know I have a problem with the drivers door lock occasionally not locking and I have a new one ready to fit so my plan is to get that fitted in the car this week and see if that makes a difference. 

I remembered I have an OBD reader at home too so will plug that in and see if any faults have been recorded and clear them if there has been.  

It seems strange to me though that the boot lock and the passenger door has packed up as well as the drivers door? Just hope the dodgy drivers lock hasn't damaged the locking ECU and I end up having to replace that. 

I'll keep you posted on progress.

Craig. 

Tried the other key fob with a brand new Battery, same problem still. 

Hopefully this afternoon I'll get time to plug in the OBD reader and see if any faults are recorded and change the known dodgy door lock assembly. Fingers crossed that sorts it as I have things in the back I need to get out! 

Craig.

• Like 1

Sorted it!

I changed the drivers door lock for a new one, well, repaired one. The central locking is driven by a small electic motor about 20mm round and 25mm in length. They only turn a few rotations to unlock and then a few rotations in reverse to unlock again. Both of mine have now needed to be replaced as they fill up with carbon and the comutator gets burned out.  If anyone needs help in doing this let me know and I'll write up the procedure. 

Anyway, I fitted the repaired lock to the drivers door today so now I have both doors fitted with new motors but it still wouldn't work. Dropped into the dealer on the way home and booked it in for diagnosis Monday morning but when I got home I decided to keep on playing. 

Looking at the wiring diagram I noticed there is more than one fuse that operates the central locking so I checked all of them, 3 in total and the last fuse I checked, a 15 amp one, was blown. I popped up the road to Halfords to buy the worlds most expensive micro blade fuses at over £1 each, got home, popped a new fuse in and hey presto, everything working again. :biggrin:

All I can guess is the electric motor in the drivers door lock was at the point where it was drawing so much current to turn, that it blew the fuse. Odd thing was the fuse to unlock the doors was still good so the doors were still making the unlock sound but the blown fuse seemed to stop the doors from locking and stopped the rear door doing anything.

The fuse in question was D/L No.1 (15 Amp) and is located under the dashboard in the passengers foot well.

Craig.

• Like 3

Nice one Craig, good to know for the future.

• 11 months later...

Hi any one can help me pls I have the same problem and did new Battery to the key and checked the fuse that you said and still the door is not opining

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links