Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it time to give up on diesel?

Ben93

I am wondering if these new rules over the next few years are going to outright ban diesels in the uk i have an 06 corolla d4d and i dont kniw what euro emmissions it meets but fron what i can gather by 2020 euro 6 diesels wont be excempt from new rules either. 

Is it worth gettng the 2k scrap from gov scheme and putting it towards a newer petrol? 

What does everyone else think about it i think its just more money making if they didnt make roads impossible to drive round up london cars wouldnt be sitting still polluting. Plus diesels burn less fuel than petrol and my work vans diesel. 

Dont see how its gonna work no one who works in n a trade can work without a van. 

I think when it will only really affect cities. So inner London, Birmingham, Manchester etc where there tends to be a lot of congestion and infrastructure for CCTV/APNR cameras will have this ban come in to force. A lot like how the Congestion Charge operates.

I would, however, wait to see whether May gets booted out who wins the General Election first, and what response/fight the pro-Diesel groups will come out with before making a decision.

Yeah im not being funny but how can them putting a couple pf grand to you actually get you anything newer. My corolla gets mega high mpg for a 2 litre turbo good performance etc. My old petrol that was no where near as powerful or decent did a quarter of the mpg how is burning that much fuel in comparrison good. 

And all this stuff about electric cars etc. Where do we get our electricity from.......... Burning coal etc.  The government and countries a joke im hoping as im outside central london that it wont be a whole ban over the country. Would love to see the lorries vans busses taxis trains etc run on somethijf else.  

When a decent performing hybrid comes into my price range of 4k thats not mullered i might consider it. But i dont want some super slow thing trying to merge onto a motorway in a Battery powered box.  

Nobody is going to ban Euro 5 or 6 diesels, it is scaremongering, how the hell is anything going to get delivered in the country if you ban diesel cars/vans lorries. There may be a case to ban older polluting cars/buses/lorries from city centres, and there may be some sort of scrappage scheme but it wont affect anything new, not for a long long time, I would be in no way worried with my new Auris diesel for a long time to come

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben93 said:

When a decent performing hybrid comes into my price range of 4k thats not mullered i might consider it. But i dont want some super slow thing trying to merge onto a motorway in a battery powered box.  

You have never driven a hybrid then? Why do you think they put electric motors in trains? They pull like errr.......trains 

Your Corolla is Euro IV.

As regards any scrappage scheme, the Government is said to be considering a scrappage scheme for later in the year. However the amounts of money involved, eligibility and the extent of any scrappage scheme is pure speculation at present.

Under EU legislation, the UK needs to set up Clean Air Zones in five cities by 2020 which will encompass older commercials (buses, etc), but how this will be affected by Brexit is unclear, and probably won't become much clearer until nearer the time. Passenger cars are thought to be unaffected by Clean Air Zones, but there is a legal challenge against this, being mounted.

So currently:

1. There has been no scrappage scheme announced.

2. We don't know the scope that any scrappage scheme may have (eg. which vehicles are affected, grants, timescale, areas covered, etc).

3. There is a presumption the Euro V and VI diesels will be OK as regards any pollution controls in cities, etc

4. We don't know which European Legislation will become part of UK law when we leave the EU, so we don't know what standards we will have as regards pollution.

Diesels may have better fuel consumption than petrols, but the amount of pollution (particularly Nitrogen Dioxide and particulates) produced tends to be greater with older diesels.

So my cars going to be to old then so may as well be rid of it and buy somethibf new? What are some cheap ish reasonably decrnt hybrids. Will my euro 4 diesel be banned just in citu centres? Or everywhere? 

19 minutes ago, Ben93 said:

So my cars going to be to old then so may as well be rid of it and buy somethibf new? What are some cheap ish reasonably decrnt hybrids. Will my euro 4 diesel be banned just in citu centres? Or everywhere? 

Don't do anything at present.

Wait to see whether a scrappage scheme is announced, and if one is announced, see then what the terms and conditions are.

There is no point changing now because you don't know whether your area may be affected.

• Like 1

Yeah i suppose. Hoping its just in cities like london manchester brimingham etc. I think its fair enough but dont see why banning them everywhere is fair. And it could all become alot more lax once were out the eu and also alot of people will kick up a stink. 

Older diesels can be just as polluting wherever they are. 

I would have thought that Government will tackle the areas they have to first, before considering anything on a national basis.

At the end of the day it may be a case of either living longer and paying more, or paying less and dying earlier.

Just annoying when they were encouraging diesels originally now theure encouraging hybrids or full electrics but sre not encouraging but forcing it. How much would a hybrid thays the same sort of performance as my 2 litrw d4d going to set me back? Payed 2k for mine with 74k miles full service history. And do the older hybrid cars evade this? I dont like prius just not my cup of tea or most of the hybrids they look to futuristic or are trying too. 

I like the auris t hybrid but not sure how it performs and looking at the price theyre at alot more than i payed for mine with 150k plus miles by the time id of finishef paying the car off wil be long dead.  *sigh* maybe will resort to not driving in a few years or maybe win the lottery. 

I bought the diesel purely as i love travelling the country. 

From what I read recently, the Labour government encouraged diesels by offering low vehicle excise duties based on CO2 emissions, due to advice from vehicle manufacturers who promised cleaner vehicles a lot sooner than they have actually been able to. 

So it isn't just the fault of government

Ill just put some money aside every month incase. 

I suspect a 2006 built diesel car, or maybe even a 2017 built diesel car, will be physically worn out long before the time comes when they are actually 'banned' in the UK! Yes older diesels will pay a higher congestion charge in London, and so will even older petrols for that matter, but any talk of them being banned altogether in the foreseeable future is just scaremongering. Personally I would enjoy your car and stop worrying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

instead of banning us from using them they should but the pressure on manufacturers.

So, from today, anything new needs to be hybrid/electric and affordable