Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Engine RPM

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Something I wondered for a while, and reminded as the result of another post:

How is engine RPM regulated on a Hybrid?

I understand the basic engine is rated to 6000 RPM, but the power/torque characteristics are such that maximum torque is developed at 4700 RPM.

As a result of the overall way a Hybrid works, is the max engine RPM 4700 RPM under hard acceleration rather than 6000 RPM, or..?

It doesn't seem to make much sense for it to exceed max torque RPM.

Hi,

I don't have the answer to your question, but, as a general point about engine rpm, regen. rates and a whole load of other relevant information that the dash doesn't show, if you haven't already got it, I'd suggest buying an ELM327 OBDII adapter (£5-£10) and putting the Hybrid Assistant app. on a smartphone or tablet to use with it.

It is very good, free, and has no adverts.

Battery, inverter, MG temperatures and loads more. I'd be surprised if it wasn't fully compatible with a Yaris Hybrid, their website can confirm that. It works fine on our Auris.

Yes, any rpm above peak torque is a bit wasteful with the engine friction etc. that that entails.

• Like 2

Hi,

I don't have the answer to your question, but, as a general point about engine rpm, regen. rates and a whole load of other relevant information that the dash doesn't show, if you haven't already got it, I'd suggest buying an ELM327 OBDII adapter (£5-£10) and putting the Hybrid Assistant app. on a smartphone or tablet to use with it.

It is very good, free, and has no adverts.

Battery, inverter, MG temperatures and loads more. I'd be surprised if it wasn't fully compatible with a Yaris Hybrid, their website can confirm that. It works fine on our Auris.

Yes, any rpm above peak torque is a bit wasteful with the engine friction etc. that that entails.

Great app, despite not understanding everything it tells me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my Yaris, it will never go over 4,800 rpm even with your right foot flat to the floor and accelerating as hard as it will go. This is governed by the complex relationship between the ICE/MG1/MG2 which cannot be overridden. (I use Torque (also no ads) and an OBDII adaptor)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for ODBII adapter? Will any do (as long as it supports the car)? Anything to be careful about (e.g. accidentally reprogramming something)?

For me all the WiFi one's work fine, not had the same luck with the bluetooth ones.

I had the WiFi ones for other apps on iPhone's.

The cheaper ones have a slower data transfer rate, but should still work ok.

As for the reprogramming, I don't thinks its something that you can do by accident. More like you would have to bring up a terminal to send commands in order to change things. With hybrid assistant you can change the fan behavior, not sure if it is permanent.

If you are using an Apple phone or tablet, you'll need a wifi one as iPhone doesn't support Bluetooth(?). I can't suggest one in that case.

For all Android users, you could try this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ijq/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Android-OBD-Bluetooth/B01AC7I7BO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493734526&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=u480+elm+327+obd2

Although the price has recently gone up (I'm sure it was £8 just before Xmas)!  I think I have this one (it was a present).

Strangely, the one above used to look exactly like this one, as many of them do, including mine:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B014WHK27W/ref=pd_vtph_263_lp_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E906MXR9R6WMGW919HSJ

I have no idea as to if they are different 'under the skin', there are just so many clones about. I'm only showing Amazon ones as the reviews are so worthwhile.

Both these are usefully short, so they don't hit your knee when you're driving.

Things to look out for?  If you leave any of these plugged in, then they will slowly discharge your 12v Battery, even though they take very little power, the OBD2 port is permanently powered up, so they'll eventually flatten it after many hours of the car being parked with this left in.  Certainly less power than, say, an interior light. though.  I think Mr. Poli mentioned flattening his Battery over a weekend once after doing this.

It may be worth having someone else to drive your car whilst you study Hybrid Assistant, there is so much useful info, you'll struggle to not be distracted!  Changing the Battery fan speed, mentioned above, is only temporary, I'm sure.  And the apps that allow you to configure the car (i.e. Carista, Torque)  need you to pay for the 'pro' version before they'll let you do any of that AFAIK, so no problems there.

HTH.

• Like 2

The hybrid assistant is something that you look at live or afterwards using the reporter app.

I use it to see how much fuel the trip has used and what percentage of the trip was in EV.

I use the cars display while driving and the app later to see how well or bad my drive was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

iPhone/iPad support bluetooth.

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

iPhone/iPad support BlueTooth.

They support bluetooth, but, short of 'jailbreaking' either of them, they won't recognise a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter, by all accounts. I would recommend checking this before you bought one.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerg said:

They support Bluetooth, but, short of 'jailbreaking' either of them, they won't recognise a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter, by all accounts. I would recommend checking this before you bought one.

Oh... I see...

15 hours ago, Gerg said:

They support Bluetooth, but, short of 'jailbreaking' either of them, they won't recognise a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter, by all accounts. I would recommend checking this before you bought one.

Yet another excellent reason why not to buy Apple products! (sorry... couldn't resist :blush:)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links