Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Position Lights

zetor

I have a 2011 Auris and one of my front position lights has gone, I managed to just squeeze my hand in and remove the plug but can't reach the bulb base to turn it, I tried with pliers but due to the angle it sticks out it wasn't possible to turn it, anyone have any tips?

I do believe they twist lose and then pull they can be stubborn bit will come loose 

Hold on, position light? I've always thought the we the side lights. These are wedge base and pop out with the holder. The offside one can be a right pain, Battery out on my 2011. 

The headlamp bulbs need an anticlockwise quarter turn and can be stiff if they've been in a while. Again the offside ones and be a pain - air intake pipe in the way. 

Jez

Position lights/sidelights/marker lights/ parking Lights

Many people and countries have different names for them they can be awkward and stiff, once the holder is free the bulb will come free with a little wiggle and a pull 

My manual calls them front position lights but of course they are really side lights:) I don't think my fingers are that short but I can barely just touch the end of the lamp let alone try and turn it, I did try and turn it with the holder still on but no luck, I believe it is the air intake restricting my hand, I had an idea to use a small sprung clamp and will give it a go later.

What's confusing me is that say you've removed the plug.

The side/position lights have a bulb holder you remove from the light unit itself (anti clockwise turn) and the bulb is held captive in that - its wedge based and just pulls out, like on the rear lights.

The headlamps - dipped and full beam have a plug which you remove and then the bulb requires a quarter turn to remove.  

Of course in my original post I mean "near side" is the real pain to do - all of the bulbs. The off side is merely awkward. Combination of little access and short cables. The rears are just as bad on mine.

Jez

I'm sure we are talking about the same lamp, my manual does say ""Turn the bulb base counterclockwise" and shows the cable and plug still connected, I had no joy doing this, maybe just not enough room to turn my hand so if you press the spring wire it does come off the bulb socket leaving the bulb still in place where I could then not reach, guess my hands are too big, will have another fiddle later.

If you can pull the plug off the bulb that's a headlight bulb. Either dip or main beam. Easier to get plug off then remove bulb, not like it shows in the manual. 

It's hard working by touch alone! 

Jez

I managed to get the bulb out using a small sprung clamp not much skin left on my wrist! Although putting it back should just be a simply reverse procedure it's not quite that easy as trying to turn the bulb clockwise is proving very difficult as the space is too small to turn my wrist, I may have to remove the headlamp unit. Attached 2 photos to show bulb.IMG_20170421_201042.jpgIMG_20170421_201101.jpg

Well have got it sorted, by removing all the screws and plastic fasteners from the very top of the bumper I was able to just get my hand inside to turn the bulb holder into place.