Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spacesaver spare

Jezclax

Well I bit the bullet and went to the breakers. 

Space saver from 2012 Avensis bought. 17 inch wheel (correct PCD and bore) with 145/70 17 tyre. Slightly wider than the standard Auris one but fits nicely in wheel well and is the same rolling radius as the standard tyre, according to online calculators. 

Even nabbed the hold down bolt.

Of course this now means it'll never get used. But more I've said that it will. And I'll have nowhere to put the wet, dirty full sized wheel 😉

Jez

IMG_20170420_184623.jpg

If you check the manual you'll find that there is an illustration for some markets where the car is supplied with a full-size spare wheel. So in theory it could fit in the well, but you'll probably lose the lower storage area

• 6 months later...
On 21/04/2017 at 11:02 PM, cuius said:

If you check the manual you'll find that there is an illustration for some markets where the car is supplied with a full-size spare wheel. So in theory it could fit in the well, but you'll probably lose the lower storage area

Ever since Renault released the Fuego way back in 1980 I’ve never agreed with the name ‘Spacesaver’ for that reason. They should be called ‘Costsavers’.

Two seater Lotus’ carried a VW Beetle wheel and a plastic bag. The passenger had to place it on his/her lap for the remainder of the journey!

Whatever happened to Safety First?

1 hour ago, ColinCK said:

Ever since Renault released the Fuego way back in 1980 I’ve never agreed with the name ‘Spacesaver’ for that reason. They should be called ‘Costsavers’.

Two seater Lotus’ carried a VW Beetle wheel and a plastic bag. The passenger had to place it on his/her lap for the remainder of the journey!

Whatever happened to Safety First?

Sacrificed in the name of economy (lower weight) & the fact that tyre punctures are relatively rare these days.

Whilst I was fiddling around with the spare wheel on our car, I realised I was finally able to compare the weights of a safety spare (Auris), a 15" alloy wheel (Auris), and a 15" steel wheel (with the same size tyre as the alloy: 195/65 x 15, on a VW wheel). So, to that age-old question, which one is lightest, and by how much?

Picture 1 - Toyota safety spare - 12kg

Picture 2 - Genuine Toyota 15" alloy wheel with tyre - 16kg

Picture 3 - VW Caddy 15" steel wheel with  tyre - 14kg

P1130964.JPG

P1130965.JPG

P1130966.JPG

So having the space saver wheel instead of a full size wheel only saves you 4 kg? Blimey, I can save that much weight just by breathing in and holding my stomach in. :rolleyes: Still, both are better than the pump n' dump job arrangement that I've got at the moment.

3 hours ago, Countrylad said:

So having the space saver wheel instead of a full size wheel only saves you 4 kg? Blimey, I can save that much weight just by breathing in and holding my stomach in. :rolleyes: 

Yes, but all these savings add up & the penalties for car manufacturers not meeting mpg/emissions minimum standards are very high.