Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 petrol not starting

Russell@home

Hi,

My dad put his 2003 1.8 auto through the MOT yesterday. It passed with a couple of advisories which we knew about but after driving the car home, it won't start. Not even turning over.

When we tried last night, turning the ignition on caused the dash lights to come on as usual & go out when the starter should engage but the starter doesn't spin or even engage.

He called the breakdown company out who couldn't see anything obvious so I suggested charging the Battery as the indicator was black which he has done. This morning when we tried, I hear relays click (one is in the drivers door mirror!) & what I presume is the fuel pump as it's from the rear. But still nothing from the starter or engine.

What's your thoughts? could it be the ignition starter switch even though the dash lights go out as normal?

hi,

ignition switch could be the culprit. I had to change mine a couple of years ago on my 1998 Avensis. Just before the switch packed up altogether there would be a delay before the starter motor turned when holding the ignition key against the spring in it's last position.

This only happened a couple of times and then packed up without warning. I used my recovery policy and the breakdown mechanic bump started the car.

There is a thread with photos on how to change the ignition switch with part numbers which I found very useful. Apparently a common wear and tear issue.

Changing the switch took about half an hour and the switch was about £60 from main dealer but that was probably three years ago.

Good luck

• Like 1

Yeah ignition switch wud be most likely thing. Had to change a few myself. Easy enough to do. U can get them on eBay bout 40 quid. Genuine Toyota wud be lot more tho. Second hand switch in my experience are a waste of time and money. Dash Lights will go out as normal - it's just the car will not start.

• Like 1

Could also be a dead cell in Battery.or starter motor.

Battery is only about a year old but will check the starter motor.

Hopefully a ignition switch will be arriving next week too.

I think the switch will cure. Starter is possible but in my experience it usually muck's about on u beforehand. Kinda let's u no it's on it's way out. Switch more or less quit's without much warning.

Well, the switch is out & tested with a screwdriver & still doesn't work.

Since it's relatively cheap it seems sensible to replace it. Nearly had to regardless as I dropped it under the dash & almost couldn't get it out!

How tested with a screwdriver By using screwdriver to start car with the switch removed ? If I thought it was def not switch I wud not replace it. If it's not, then prob is elsewhere.

With the switch removed, I used a flat blade screwdriver to turn it. Same result butI did notice that some of the dash lights went out when I wiggled the screwdriver.

Here are previous posts: -

When I had ignition switch failure, I manage to change the part in around 20 minutes, due to having dismantled and discovering that you don't need to do any unnecessary extra work.

For those with the Mk1 and this may apply to later models, remove the upper and lower steering column coverings. IMG_5190.thumb.jpg.c7bbb29d845db2f53c0a0174bf5604d8.jpg

Then from the left look for the switch under the column and locate the the two philips screws and also the connector plugs.

IMG_5210.thumb.jpg.66969c777c46dbb358138a82c9e5d20b.jpg  

Another view from a lower position

IMG_5186.thumb.jpg.02f499fc19da4714cb1231af1bee850f.jpg

Unplug the switch then with a suitable small screw driver undo and remove the screws

IMG_5221.thumb.jpg.386d1cf82dab3c866e633d1d183ab322.jpg

The switch 

IMG_5214.thumb.jpg.4605c141657bbefbac2b0a3195af7e2e.jpg

I have got the extra practice because I bought a third party ignition switch, and found out it was wired different internally. See the following:-

So make sure the switch is right before installing by checking the connections! 

On 4/21/2017 at 8:48 PM, Russell@home said:

Hi,

My dad put his 2003 1.8 auto through the MOT yesterday. It passed with a couple of advisories which we knew about but after driving the car home, it won't start. Not even turning over.

When we tried last night, turning the ignition on caused the dash lights to come on as usual & go out when the starter should engage but the starter doesn't spin or even engage.

He called the breakdown company out who couldn't see anything obvious so I suggested charging the battery as the indicator was black which he has done. This morning when we tried, I hear relays click (one is in the drivers door mirror!) & what I presume is the fuel pump as it's from the rear. But still nothing from the starter or engine.

What's your thoughts? could it be the ignition starter switch even though the dash lights go out as normal?

I was having the same issues and it turned out to be the switch, Bought a new switch a few weeks back for £25 and fitted. All starting issues stopped. Took the old switch apart, I do mean apart to bits. Cleaned it up, removed the old grease I found in there and sprayed with switch cleaner and tested that switch back in the car. Fired up with out any hassle. For the amount of work required it is not in your interests to take the car to a dealer, will cost an arm and a leg. Just a few screws and a small amount of time. Anyone with this issue in my home town can come and see me

• Like 2

I'm trying to find one but all the ones on ebay have 2 screw holes. The original one I have has 1 screw & a plastic clip.

It looks like 84450-02010 is the 7 pin version, I need the 6 pin one. 

Does anyone have the part number please?

I assume your car is Mk2 T25. The part number on the following site is showing as 84450-05040

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2003/avensis/zzt251r-alpekw/3_273550_057_223W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/5#84450

The switch is one screw a you described.

So after a bit more investigating, it was the starter. A bit of wood & a couple of carefully placed taps with a hammer & it's alive!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions :)

• Like 2

Glad you got it sorted! 

That is great mate. Starter motors !!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links