Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Yaris Hybrid MPG - so true!

javnas

Now your challenge, is to get that on all of your trips ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Impressive! I'm waiting on delivery of my yaris hybrid, what mpg can I expect sitting at 70mph with cruise control on? Cheers 

60ish if you are lucky... (long motorway journey)

Really? That's impressive! From what I'd seen previously about hybrids on motorways Id have thought a constant high speed run would be 50mpg ish so 60 would be great 

Came home from my mum's last year (125 miles ish) having filled up and reset when we left. Journey was roughly 90% motorway and with cruise control on for the majority of the journey at an indicated 70 (probably closer to 65 mph). The in-car gauge indicated 64.5 mpg as I pulled in to our driveway which I have usually found is about 5 mpg optimistic from a brim to brim fillup...

PS. note that the figure you currently see in my sig below is the first fill-up of a new car which I have found is always bad...

Edited by CPN
PPS. As you can now see below, the PS. above is out of date...

What is more impressive, is the way the range can freeze during roadworks. Last year I came back from a trip to South Wales and I wasn't going to make the whole distance. I was 30 miles short.

For a couple of miles stop start, I was amazed by how far I could go on the electric, coupled with a diversion of the motorway. I manage to get to my destination with still 20 odd miles range left.

Since then I reckon I could get another 50 miles next time.

I have managed 470 miles on 30 litres in summer. That's better than I have got in my Auris. 480 miles on 36 litres.

5 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

What is more impressive, is the way the range can freeze during roadworks. Last year I came back from a trip to South Wales and I wasn't going to make the whole distance. I was 30 miles short.

For a couple of miles stop start, I was amazed by how far I could go on the electric, coupled with a diversion of the motorway. I manage to get to my destination with still 20 odd miles range left.

Since then I reckon I could get another 50 miles next time.

That's awesome, what sort of mpg have you been getting on motorway cruises? 

In the Yaris I get about 65, where it's been fairly level. Last year in the Auris with a roof box on, I still got 56, driving at 70 without trying.

60's is still pretty good for a Yaris HSD; I'd also expected 50, maybe 55 based on what people have said in the past!!

That 90 is pretty amazing tho' - How the heck did you get that!?
The highest I'd seen anyone here get before was that girl who was getting 80's on her ?commute? which was a mix of town and A-roads IIRC.

My Mk1 D4D can hit that but only on long motorway journeys - The 200-mile round trip to my bro's costs my D4D 3 blocks on the fuel gauge which is roughly 15 litres. Weirdly, I've been finding that 70mph gets me better mpg than 60mph - I just wish the road noise wasn't so horrific at such speeds!

Hi ,

As i mentioned in my other posts. 

Whenever you see window opportunity and feel vehicle is coasting , just feather apply the brakes and you'll be charging the Battery most of the time. 

To understand this, try applying the slightest brake pressure while vehicle is stationery. Brake light won't come on but the same procedure charges the Battery while coasting or approaching roundabout or obstacle. Planning and anticipation is the key.

I've noticed the more you charge the Battery, it will in return be useful assisting the engine and also staying for longer on electric while in traffic situations. 

On a last note, it'll run for longer on EV mode as i get the battery level to be full most of the time too.

Hence 90+ MPG. 

Hope it helps!

Hi,

Did a long-ish journey yesterday. OAT was +11 C. 80 miles each way. 70 MPH with cruise on the way out - 53 MPG. On the way back at 70 MPH without cruise, 62 MPG.

Notes: journey out is more up-hill. Cruise control very aggressive (IMHO) though it maintains speed, it seems to apply a lot of power vs. me, but I allow the speed the vary and use the terrain. Cruise will go into the powerband, whereas I will stop at the ECO/POWER tick mark, and let the car decelerate (I use the downhill to regain speed).

I have also found while it is sometimes neccessary to go into the powerband, I seem to do this to a lesser extent than cruise does.

Caveat: wholly unscientific testing. I'm not magically getting power out of thin air - I'm just more willing to let the car decelerate whereas cruise will hold the speed at any cost.

I'll be doing the same journey soon, so will try the other way around (no cruise on the way out, cruise on the way in).

The car definitely uses more fuel at 70 MPH, and terrain makes a bigger difference here, too. At 50 MPH I can avoid the powerband even up-hill, whereas at 70 MPH it is necessary.

On Saturday I took the motorway back from the supermarket, a 10+ mile journey, with 2.5 miles of A road (40mph). Just about 56mpg, didn't help having to overtaking a slow car in front. Going into the power definitely hit the mpg, dropped to 32 :-(

32?? Even if I drive like I'm in a rally car (I did it once just to see), I don't see anything below 48 MPG (basically any acceleration used WOT).

I haven't found a way to get around the high consumption during warm-up. This is definitely where efficiency is lost on shorter trips. Even being light on the throttle and driving a bit slower initially doesn't really do much for consumption (anywhere between 35-45 MPG almost regardless of what I do for the first few minutes).

I still have yet to figure out why SOMETIMES I can get great MPG during warm-up (computer reported 70+ MPG) during initial driving. I'm not sure if this is related to Battery SoC/temperature (generally by the time I park, the Battery is 3/4 full).

It also sometimes will switch to EV during low speed driving in warm-up, and other times, not. I haven't really established any pattern to it.

O/T: I think the car was doing some kind of HV Battery maintenance again last week - higher fuel consumption and requiring more throttle to drive the car for around 50 miles. It's driving normally again now. I'd like to know what exactly it is doing! During this period it was biasing the battery towards empty; downhill segments that would usually result in high SoC, were having negligible impact.

32?? Even if I drive like I'm in a rally car (I did it once just to see), I don't see anything below 48 MPG (basically any acceleration used WOT).

I haven't found a way to get around the high consumption during warm-up. This is definitely where efficiency is lost on shorter trips. Even being light on the throttle and driving a bit slower initially doesn't really do much for consumption (anywhere between 35-45 MPG almost regardless of what I do for the first few minutes).

I still have yet to figure out why SOMETIMES I can get great MPG during warm-up (computer reported 70+ MPG) during initial driving. I'm not sure if this is related to battery SoC/temperature (generally by the time I park, the battery is 3/4 full).

It also sometimes will switch to EV during low speed driving in warm-up, and other times, not. I haven't really established any pattern to it.

O/T: I think the car was doing some kind of HV battery maintenance again last week - higher fuel consumption and requiring more throttle to drive the car for around 50 miles. It's driving normally again now. I'd like to know what exactly it is doing! During this period it was biasing the battery towards empty; downhill segments that would usually result in high SoC, were having negligible impact.

The 32 was just after accelerating hard to 70, needed to overtake a car that was going to cause me to slow down and loose momentum. That was at start of the motorway. In the 7 miles of the motorway stretch it had climbed back up to 48, that was with 2 hills to go over.

From my observations if I have a full Battery the warm up phase mpg is better than a flat Battery. I see both engine and electric working at the same time. Until the Battery is flat, by then you have started to build up momentum and the load on the engine is lessened.

• Like 1

When i get my tablet to login into my email, then I can take a look at this weeks hybrid assistant data from the weekend. To see how the car and I performed on the motorway.

• Like 1