Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Klarius back box exhaust - raspy/blowing sound?

mickburkesnr

Has anyone bought a Klarius back box from Euro Car Parts for the Aygo? I bought one on Saturday and fitted it to my car, but it seems to be quite raspy, almost blowing? You can hear it a little bit in the car as it sounds like a grumble, but at high speeds it doesn't sound too loud either.

Just interested to know whether this is a characteristic of the back box or not, as it sounds no better than the 7 year old OEM exhaust my car came with from the factory.

I bought this one, not a Klarius, but I'm sure it is of similar quality. I only changed mine because the securing bracket had broken.

TOYOTA AYGO 1.0 Hatchback back box 2005-2014 Exhaust Rear Silencer

Yep, it still has that raspy sound, more noticeable when reversing and window open. I think it's characteristic of the engine/exhaust system and I kinda like it :smile:

Looks identical to the one I bought actually.

I have been so used to how mine sounds for the last 7 years since I've had it, I sort of forgot what it sounded like. I remember it being smoother sounding than it is now. You're right though, it sounds a bit more aggressive, but as long as it's a characterist of the exhaust and not a fault then everything is fine!

I'll just remember to tell the MOT tester on Wednesday that it's meant to sound like that, as you'd be forgiven for thinking the exhaust was blowing.

Hi Michael,

Glad you got your weekend woes sorted out and I have to ask....7 years on one exhaust?  To be honest I was looking at going the Stainless Steel route for when I have to change my exhaust but if you can get 7 years out of a mild steel one, I won't bother.

Funnily enough, I've just been down to my trusty local independant Garage to book mine in for it's MOT.  When I was reversing up to the side window there, I noticed that the offside brake light wasn't coming on and so I mentioned it.

"No bother, we'll throw one on now for you" was the reply and he got straight to it.  Now it's a fiddly job to replace a rear bulb on an Aygo and so, whilst he was at work I asked him how much it would cost......

"If you nip over to the Butty Shop and get me a Ham Salad Bap and a Sausage Roll, we'll call it quits"

Needless to say, I agreed, was delighted and amazed that you can still get great service like that.

Happy Days!! :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Glad you got your weekend woes sorted out and I have to ask....7 years on one exhaust?  To be honest I was looking at going the Stainless Steel route for when I have to change my exhaust but if you can get 7 years out of a mild steel one, I won't bother.

Well when I saw that cat had some holes in it, I thought this will only last a year or two but it's better than the no-name chinese thing I had on there previously. So I thought wait it out for the cat to go again and then get the whole thing changed to stainless steel. But now that I've practically changed the exhaust system on it I'll wait a bit for the stainless steel system. At least now I can save up for it!

I had read somewhere that to get anything like 3 or 4 years out of a cheapo box for these Aygo/107/C1's was about what to expect. There's no rattle of the back box that came off it, but it sounded like it was on the way out. At least now it's done for a few years.

I think that I must have read the same thing, Michael as I was thinking 3-4 years....That's why I was amazed at your 7 year record.

As far as Stainless Steel Exhausts go, there doesn't seem to be a complete "Off the shelf" system available for the Aygo/107/C1.  I've seen plenty of the "Boy Racer" growly back boxes but to attach one of these to a mild steel mid-section, seems daft.....Also, like you, I don't really like the raspy, grumbly sound they give off.

The best that I have come up with is a custom built Stainless steel back box (As it's custom built you can go for standard or sporty sounds) for just over £150 from a place in Leeds (They advertise on Ebay), they can also fit a mid section and even a Cat, although I'm not sure if the Cat is stainless for another £150. So for £300, you get the lot, fitted and guaranteed for life.

I don't need one yet, so I'll keep looking but like I said before, if you can get 7 years out of mild steel, Is it worth it?

Good luck with the Corolla, by the way...You've taught me something else I didn't know...A 19 year old Toyota has a Catalytic Converter fitted...Either time flies or I'm getting old!!:blush:

OOPS!!

They don't actually include the Catalytic converter but I have found the listing on eBay....It's £279 for the system from Cat to tailpipe or add another £125 for the Cat if needed, so £404, all in. Even when I was writing my previous post, I thought £300 sounded too cheap.

I can't give you any feedback on the firm but they do seem honest enough. Anyway here is the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AYGO-NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-/172612357970?hash=item28307f8f52:m:m1JfoQ4SIOodFAUgUNKFUNA

Looks like I might have to put a few more spare pounds in the Piggy Bank!

I would spend £300, even £500, for a catalytic converter for these cars if they were built in a way that meant they wouldn't fail after 3 years. The weld that joins the mainfold to the converter is forever cracking, meaning a replacement every so often. But if I get 7 years out of the new system then by that time I should have enough put aside for a proper stainless system for mine.

Also, this raspy sound has been identified - the joint where the front pipe meets the back box is leaking! Fantastic!

So tonight I'm going to go under the car for a third time and seal it up for a third time with heat resistant silicone. Aparently this is better to use than paste as it allows some sort of movement - which on cars like ours there is a lot of movement with the exhaust. I've also bought two new clamps for the car, so if whatever I do tonight with the new clamp and silicone doesn't fix it for good then I can give it to the mechanic who's doing my MOT tomorrow morning and he can sort it out.

But I think it'll be OK with the silicone and new clamp. Just highly annoying when you're blessed with a gravel driveway and a very thin piece of a camp mat to lay on.

The very best of luck to you, Michael.....I'm sure you won't need it as you seem to have everything covered.

The Exhaust system that I linked, I  said was the "Best that I have come up with".  By that, I didn't actually mean the best, quality wise but the best on price and as you have pointed out, that isn't always a good thing.  Like you, I am quite prepared to pay more for quality and durability but the thing is, you can't seem to find it.

I have searched high and low for a high quality, tried and tested, stainless steel system, specifically made for the Aygo and I just can't find one.  When you consider that if you take the Aygo/107/C1 as one car for a product like this (It would fit all three) and then consider the amount of the three variants on the road, then surely the market for high end, durable replacement parts must be there.

I really don't think that there is just you and me, Michael, looking for quality upgrades, rather than bolt-on goodies.  You sound like you are going to keep yours for a few years, as am I....For example, when I booked mine in for it's MOT, yesterday, I asked them to underseal it at the same time.  Underneath, our cars are just finished in primer, which seems to work as after 4 years mine is still OK, but whilst it's on a ramp, getting some underseal/stone chip under there can't hurt, can it?

Anyway, I sound like I'm having a rant, which I'm not so I'll look forward to finding how you get on tonight.

All the best and good luck.....Be careful on that gravel! :wink:

It's a strange one. Fairly stupid reasoning too. But the old fella was in hospital dying about 4 years ago, and my sister would drive to the hospital. Her car broke down, and I could feel my car's clutch starting to go. I sat in the car on the way to the hospital and I said to it "If you don't break down and get us through this bit I'll never get rid of you" - based on the idea that I learnt in boxing that if you look after your equipment it'll look after you when you need it most. About 4 days after that the old fella then died, and there was a lot to sort out etc and the car was brilliant. So I've kept my end of the bargain and have kept it all this time, and intend to do so until I !Removed! well die!

The beauty with the Aygo/107/C1 is that it's only the body panels and some interior bits that are different. Mechanically they're all identical. I bought a cat from a Toyota Aygo, manifold gasket from Citroen, the other exhaust gasket from Peugeot and it will slotted together on my 107. So you're right, there is a market for it. But I think the problem is that the cars are seen as basic runarounds. The Aygo, in my opinion, is luxury compared to my 107. Better seats, better steering wheel, more Speakers!

I didn't consider the underseal, however I've studied the underneath of my car a lot over the weekend (and this evening!) and apart from the odd scratch underneath where the girlfriend hasn't seen the kerb (that's happened twice) it's perfect for a 7 year old car. But you're right too, stone chip for a car you will hang on to for a few years or indefinately is worth it.

I'll report back tonight how I get on.

1 hour ago, fordulike said:

This is the stuff I used to seal my back box. Good stuff, easy to work with :wink:

BLACK HIGH TEMPERATURE SILICONE ADHESIVE SEALANT 20ml HEAT RESISTANT 300'C

You use this on the joint? And how long does it last you?

• Like 1

Crikey, Michael....That doesn't sound strange or stupid, in fact it sounds all too familiar.  A few years ago, just after we bought the Aygo, my Mother-in-Law suddenly passed away, something that hit my Wife like a brick.  Like you say, there is so much running about and sorting out to do after something like this happens and for us, the little Aygo was just brilliant.

Now, whilst the car hasn't replaced the old Girl. it seems to have become part of her memory and has a very dear place in the heart of my better half.....I think she would get rid of me before she sold it so. like you, I aim to keep it.

When we got it, I foolishly described the colour as "Irn Bru Orange" after which, my Wife has always called it "Baby Bru" and she has an attachment to it that I could not and would not shake off.  To be honest, the longer I keep it, the more I love it, so I can't argue against heart over head, can I?

We chose the Aygo over the C1/107 for the exact reasons you have given, the Fire has a leather steering wheel/gear knob and the seats are trimmed in better (In my opinion) cloth than on the Peugeot and look better than some of the strange designs on the C1 and, yes they are comfy. About a month ago we spent the weekend in Cromer which is a fair treck from North East Lancashire and it was effortless.  It returned 60mpg over the trip and we got there and back in comfort....Not bad for a car which, as you rightly say, is seen as a "Basic Runaround" is it?

Good luck tonight!

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

You use this on the joint? And how long does it last you?

I'll be honest and say that I haven't tested it long term, maybe only over 5000 miles. But I will say two things. Firstly, it appears to be far better than the dedicated Holt's Gun Gum putty I've used before. That stuff just flakes, cracks and drops off :blink:

Secondly, I use the silicone stuff on my pedal bike, in all weathers and temperatures, and on joints that flex hundreds of times every ride. It's resilient stuff.

Of course it's personal choice on what you use, but I would choose a high temperature silicone sealant, over Gun Gum type products, any time.

• Like 1

Called mine Rocky, as the first week I had it me and 3 mates (all heavyweights) went up to the Lake District and went camping in it. Since then we've been as far west as Oban in Scotland and as far East as Budapest in him.

Right so, jacked it up and took off the old clamp. I smothered the joints and the clamp in the Instant Gasket sealant I bought from Halfords. Left it alone with the intention of not driving it until this morning. However, the fiancee wanted picking up from the train station so I had to drive it. It sounded better than it did, so I'm back to the raspy slightly blowing sound of the Klarius back box. Tried it again this morning, the awful blowing it was making yesterday has gone.

MOT is in an hour and a half's time, so it should be alright now!

• Like 1

Good Luck, Michael!

Is it just me, or has anybody else got this vision of a bloke pacing around an MOT Station in the West Midlands, biting his nails, like an expectant Father?

We've all been there haven't we?

• Like 1

Well it passed - just! The sidelight was out, but he hit it and it came back on. Other than that, no advisories, everything passed.

He was a nice bloke actually, and up against it I think. So I ended up helping him with the test. He'd stand outside ask me to put hazards on etc.

It was the first time since doing the exhaust that I could get under it properly. The silicone has helped, but after a day driving it it's starting to sound loud again. But sod it. It's passed the test, I'll leave it to rust up and have a build up of carbon on it, it should quieten down. I was worried that it'd be a big leak but no, the emissions were sound as well.

It's not unheard of for me to be like that to be honest. I put my Corolla in last year, only had it 3 months at that point. £250 going through an MOT without much of a chance to look at it. Passed alright, advisory on the exhaust which, as I said, needs doing now as it's fallen off.

But yeah, happy bunny today!

• Like 1

Phew, Michael....We were worried about you:wink:

I'm glad that after all your efforts that you got a pass....and a pass is a pass, isn't it?

You can relax now, grab a cold one out of the fridge and enjoy it. 

Well done. :smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links