Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking oil and servicing. Neighbour who thinks something is wrong when I check my car, yet they have wrecked their engine!

Konrad C

There are some people who never check their cars, between servicing, or even never do any servicing. I have a neighbour and he would ask me what was wrong with the car when i was checking the oil and other fluids, or doing a service like an oil change. He would say I don't need to do anything unless something comes up. I don't know if he was joking or not.

Last year, his Vauxhall Meriva had a loud noise, and they seem to ignore it. Then one day on a long journey the engine blew resulting a hole in the block! They had to be towed home. They bought a Nissan Qashqai 61 plate with 1.6 petrol engine. A couple of days ago, I saw my neighbour with the bonnet up :shock:. So I went to ask him what he was doing. He told me the low oil light has come on, so he was going to top it up, using the full litre of oil he had with him. He also stated that is what the breakdown man did, when it happened before. I said check the level on the dipstick to see what the level is, but wait for the engine to cool to get a more accurate reading. He said it was cool enough and poured the complete bottle, as the breakdown man did before! 

Now those who are aware of the 1.8 1ZZ oil burning issue, this is now something of the past. It seems other manufacturers are having similar high oil usage on newer engines. The other point is that my neighbour is reacting to a warning light and not being proactive with the checks. This light is saving his car of ending up like the Meriva.

For me the joke is on him if he has bought a problem car. :hammer: 

• Like 2

Hi Konrad,

I reiterate my earlier statement that lack of oil is still the most common failure of engines even today. I, like you, check mine weekly, even though it has never used a drop. There may come a day when that changes and I don't want to be taken by surprise.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Duggerz said:

Hi Konrad,

I reiterate my earlier statement that lack of oil is still the most common failure of engines even today. I, like you, check mine weekly, even though it has never used a drop. There may come a day when that changes and I don't want to be taken by surprise.

Very true Duggerz.

Also some car owners are relying on a low warning indicator, but if that fails then it is the same result as cars without that warning!

I have a friend who bought a Hyundai Accent from his father-in-law-to-be for £17.50 - that was the price of a bag of tobacco aparently. I went to see him, as it's his first car and barely has mental capacity to get dressed properly in the morning let alone check the oil. I show him how to do it, and the first time I looked at the dipstick (the oil dipstick, not the friend) it was bone dry. I thought it was odd, as he said it had been serviced. Dipped it again, same result. I checked the air filter and it was black. The car hadn't been serviced.

I drove him to Halfords and told him to buy a big jug of oil, which he did. I also told him to ask where they kept the engine salt. He asked what it did and I told him it would stop the engine freezing in the winter. Fair play to him, he asked the bloke and the guy serving was looking at him funny. My friend turns to me, I turned away because I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, drive him back and I fill the oil up for him. He said he's checked it a few times since, especially as I showed him the video of Tim Shaw driving a Proton with no oil in it. The car is still going, apart from the £25 jug of oil I don't think he's spent any money on it. But thats more because he's no interest in the car, rather than forgetting about it. I also think he's of the mindset that the car was under £20, so its a throwaway. I told him he'll never get a car that cheap again so he should look after it.

But this is the thing. People these days are buying brand new cars under an illusion that they don't have to do anything to the car. When it needs a "service", they'll bring it in to the dealership because they get it with the money they spend every month. And because it's a "modern" car they don't need to check the oil every week - unlike older cars aparently. My sister is guilty of this. My old man asked her when she was learning to drive how would she change a tyre, and she said "Call the RAC"! I've said it myself on Facebook too that it's pathetic that able bodied people can't change a tyre. The manufacturers provide you with the kit to do so, so there is a level of expectancy to do it! Queue a load of people getting all upset and saying "I'm keeping someone in a job" by ringing the RAC to change a tyre. I am sure those men and women who work for the RAC and AA spent their youth dreaming of changing tyres by the roadside.

• Like 1

Let's not get me start about changing tyres and spare wheels. I have read that a lot of call outs are due to punctures, unable to change wheel for various reasons, no spare, sealant not working or rare double puncture. Add the waiting time for the assistance. I last changed a puncture in under 15 minutes.