Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My car failed it's MOT today.....

SanaYusuf

Hey guys,

I can't believe my car failed today because?!

Exhaust is to load!!!

Oh and headlights not aligned properly.

I will realign the headlights obviously but exhaust 😣.

The garage said that they would need to replace the whole exhaust with one from Toyota, you can guess what i told them!

I have been reading up on this, specifically in regards to the Cherry Bomb exhaust, about whether loud exhausts can fail the MOT. This is the rule in the MOT Bible (or whatever book they get their rules from): 

Regulation 54(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986 as amended: ‘Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.’

So you have fitted an aftermarket back box (at least) and and that's the cause of the noise. But this is only a guess as I've no idea what you've changed.

The ruling is subjective, so what is loud to one won't be to another. But I think from reading about these things is that if it's loud enough to draw attention to you then it's too loud. I do see their point, as it's not the nicest of things to be falling asleep at 11pm on a Sunday night to hear some clown drive past the house with Jeremy Clarkson shouting out of his exhaust "POWEERRRRRRRRRR".

It could be an idea to go to another MOT testing station and see what they say, whether they pass it or not. There's plenty of people who have had a brake light blow out before the test, and the tester will either instantly fail it (because he loves having a bit of power to ruin someones day) or they'll fix it before they test it (because it's nice to be nice). 

8 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

I have been reading up on this, specifically in regards to the Cherry Bomb exhaust, about whether loud exhausts can fail the MOT. This is the rule in the MOT Bible (or whatever book they get their rules from): 

Regulation 54(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986 as amended: ‘Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.’

So you have fitted an aftermarket back box (at least) and and that's the cause of the noise. But this is only a guess as I've no idea what you've changed.

The ruling is subjective, so what is loud to one won't be to another. But I think from reading about these things is that if it's loud enough to draw attention to you then it's too loud. I do see their point, as it's not the nicest of things to be falling asleep at 11pm on a Sunday night to hear some clown drive past the house with Jeremy Clarkson shouting out of his exhaust "POWEERRRRRRRRRR".

It could be an idea to go to another MOT testing station and see what they say, whether they pass it or not. There's plenty of people who have had a brake light blow out before the test, and the tester will either instantly fail it (because he loves having a bit of power to ruin someones day) or they'll fix it before they test it (because it's nice to be nice). 

It's a cat back exhaust, it's load yeh but they passed it with the same exhaust last year though!

I can see why so many garages have a bad rep as they are just out to make money no matter what, £65p/h plus vat plus the cost of the whole exhaust from Toyota.

I will just try another MOT station but will ask them about the noise level and wether they would pass it before I put it through.

It's a silly rule in my opinion. It's not like emissions where they stick a probe in and take a reading from the exhaust, and if it's above a threshold then it's a fail. They could do that if they wanted to, take the dB of the exhaust and if it goes above a specific threshold it's a fail. At least then you could accept that the machine had it too loud, so it's probably too loud. 

But the Police don't have volume meters, the testers dont, it's all reliant on point of view and opinion.

Trust me though, after spending the weekend changing my exhaust, if you can afford the labour for a mechanic to do it I'd do it! It's a proper P.I.T.A.

31 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

It's a silly rule in my opinion. It's not like emissions where they stick a probe in and take a reading from the exhaust, and if it's above a threshold then it's a fail. They could do that if they wanted to, take the dB of the exhaust and if it goes above a specific threshold it's a fail. At least then you could accept that the machine had it too loud, so it's probably too loud. 

But the Police don't have volume meters, the testers dont, it's all reliant on point of view and opinion.

Trust me though, after spending the weekend changing my exhaust, if you can afford the labour for a mechanic to do it I'd do it! It's a proper P.I.T.A.

They MOT tester was miserable and looked in his late 50's or early 60's, probably hates modded cars full stop.

Taking it to kwik fit to ask wether they would pass with current exhaust, I'll see what they say.

That's crap mate. I have two friends that both own garages and both do MOT tests. And they have all sorts of cars going through. One of our friends has an Impreza with the Nur Spec R exhaust (straight through). Loud as hell let me tell you. But as they say, long as the emissions are ok they pass it. Being loud isn't they're concern. 

I wouldn't swap your exhaust no chance buddy. I heard it on your YouTube video. Yeah it's loud but come on, failing that is just petty IMO. Hope you find a good MOT tester soon. (Shame your so far away from me) I'd sort it for you 👍

Although no specific noise measurements are required to be taken, if in the opinion of the individual tester an exhaust is too loud, they can issue a fail. Subjective - yes. Also what one garage may fail, another may pass.

One of the best places to get a fair MOT is usually a local authority (council) operated MOT testing station - depends whether your local authority has any though.

MOT passed yesterday with 1 advisory ....

"slightly noisey exhaust" ha ha.😎

To news buddy👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 its only loud in tunnels 😂😂😂😂😂😉

7 hours ago, RazzerRazor said:

To news buddy👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 its only loud in tunnels 😂😂😂😂😂😉

Cheers dude.👍🏻

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links