Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cigarette lighter outlet

toyo-ka

Hi all! Can I have some help regarding the cigarette outlet please? I have a Yaris Hybrid Excel 64Reg and yesterday I used an inverter to charge my Mavic pro Battery. It was charging while the car was running but when I parked the car and continued to charge, it suddenly stopped working (the outlet). I have no knowledge about electrics but I have only used that inverter to pump my airbed during camping and it was working fine. Can you give me an idea of what happened and what to do to make it work again? Thanks!

Hi,

More than likely the fuse has gone, that could be due to a sudden increase in the current being drawn. It is also possible that the fuse just failed due to age.

Hybrid cars don't have the same power output as non hybrids. Due to having a smaller 12 v Battery.

If the fuse hasn't gone then you may need the help of a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, can I ask where can I locate the fuse and how to replace it if it is gone? Really appreciate the help!

If I am not mistaken that fuse is inside the cabin, behind the glovebox

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

If I am not mistaken that fuse is inside the cabin, behind the glovebox

There should be a tool for removing the fuses in one of the fuse boxes, the fuse might be a blue colour with 15 printed on it. As long as the car is switched off, you can just remove the fuse to check it and replace it if it broken. You can see if the fuse has gone, as the will be a break in the wire between both connectors of the fuse.

I don't know about the hybrid but my accessory socket is fed from the fuse box, in the cabin, behind the dash. Passenger side. There is a plastic cover/kickplate to remove underneath, not behind, the glovebox. Two/three? spring fasteners to release and it pulls down and to the rear. Make sure the locating tab is inserted at the rear when re-fitting that cover.

If you lie down and stand on your head, a bit of contortion is needed, the fusebox can be seen above, grey in colour. The cover pulls off and there they are. There is a diagram inside that cover. Refer to your hanbook too, that will show the location of fuse boxes and what they supply. My car (not a hybrid) has a removal tool in one of the engine compartment fuseboxes.

As in previous post, it is a 15A fuse. Possibly blown, as already mentioned by Anthony.

1 minute ago, mrpj said:

I don't know about the hybrid but my accessory socket is fed from the fuse box, in the cabin, behind the dash. Passenger side. There is a plastic cover to remove under the glovebox. Two spring fasteners to release and it pulls down and to the rear.

If you lie down and stand on your head, a bit of contortion is needed, the fusebox can be seen above, grey in colour. The cover pulls off and there they are. There is a diagram inside that cover. Refer to your hanbook too, that will show the location of fuse boxes and what they supply. My car (not a hybrid) has a removal tool in one of the engine compartment fuseboxes.

As in previous post, it is a 15A fuse. Possibly blown, as already mentioned by Anthony.

Is that where that saying comes from, i can do that stood on my head :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Is that where that saying comes from, i can do that stood on my head :laugh:

:laugh: For accessing that fusebox, without a doubt. My Dashcam is piggy backed off that fuse and it is a contortion. It can be seen with the glovebox removed but from what I recall there is no access to the fuses other than from underneath. It is mounted vertically with the fuses at the bottom.

I remember how much fun it was to remove the glovebox, when trying to see if the usb socket was unplugged. 

Ok guys, I will have a look at it based on your description and see if I can find it. Thank you! 

Have you checked if the socket works when the ignition is on? On mine the ignition has to be on for the accessory socket to work. You said it stopped working when you parked so I just wondered...

9 hours ago, eyemdee said:

Have you checked if the socket works when the ignition is on? On mine the ignition has to be on for the accessory socket to work. You said it stopped working when you parked so I just wondered...

Yea, it is on but the car is just stationary... When I was driving the car, it was working fine but when I stopped it suddenly lost power... And now even the car is running, there's no power on that outlet. I still haven't got the chance to have a look for the fuse box... 

I found the fusebox! Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fingers crossed the blue one in the middle

32 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Fingers crossed the blue one in the middle

I think you are right, it is exactly where mrpj and you said it was. Also, it is gone by the looks of it. Time to look for a replacement. Cheers guys!

image.jpeg

Just remember, if a fuse has failed it is because of one out of two reasons. Either the item you are powering is drawing too much current, or the fuse has failed with age.

Unless somebody can correct me, car fuses have no anti surge or slow blow properties as you get with the fuses inside other circuits.

My bet is on the inverter drawing too much current.:unsure:

1 minute ago, mrpj said:

My bet is on the inverter drawing too much current.:unsure:

I personally would rig up a separate Battery and charge via the lighter socket. I forgot to ask what the inverter was for lol

Hey guys, I basically just used the car to charge the batteries and my phone because there's no electrical outlet in the campsite.  I'm going to take photos of what I did that made the fuse gone and taking some advice for me on better ways to do it next time.

One possibility for you, you can buy an inverter with a Battery built in. Could be an option for when your away from home.

I would not use that inverter in your car as the wiring / fuse is not up to it. Power outlet is fused at 15 amps - the inverter is rated at 20 amps. Result blown fuse - simples! Much safer to use 12v or USB charger for things like phones.

16 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

One possibility for you, you can buy an inverter with a battery built in. Could be an option for when your away from home.

Ok thanks for the advice! I'll have a look for that... 

11 hours ago, eyemdee said:

I would not use that inverter in your car as the wiring / fuse is not up to it. Power outlet is fused at 15 amps - the inverter is rated at 20 amps. Result blown fuse - simples! Much safer to use 12v or USB charger for things like phones.

Oh I see, it's a little confusing because it says DC12v in there too. Do I have to find an input of DC12v.15A MAX? I need something that I can plug a 3 pin so usb can't be used... 

• 6 years later...

power outlet is rated to 12v 10a (120w max) i think