Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power loss

MuchMorepower

I have had my 2003 rav 4 diesel for 2 months now and it's a great car however the past week or so the power has taken to fading out, it doesn't cut out just no power when you push the throttle, if you keep it down the it will burst back into life and be ok for a short time then it goes again, no problem starting or running in general and when it dies it will run ok on a light throttle just no power.  I'm going to change the diesel filter and air filter but any other thoughts??

I would be looking at cleaning the EGR valve and MAF sensor www.mafcleaning.co.uk

Also, check around the air intake hoses for leaks and around the turbo housing for exhaust leaks.

• Like 1

It could also be SCV's, from experience it can be an expensive hit or miss  process, I tried to get a definitive guide from Toyota, waste of time. They are great cars but for the diesel it is the Achilles heel.

Welcome to the Rav 4 power loss club, so sorry u have become a member. 

Thanks guys, I'll clean the MAF tomorrow, 2 questions;

1 where is the EGR on a RAV4?

2 what and where is the sev's

it was fine when I first got it and has only started in the last couple of weeks😢😱

Sorry that should be SCV'S

Well I cleaned the EGR and fitted a new air filter today and it's made no difference, neither were very dirty though, going to try a diesel filter next and see if that works.

34 minutes ago, MuchMorepower said:

Well I cleaned the EGR and fitted a new air filter today and it's made no difference, neither were very dirty though, going to try a diesel filter next and see if that works.

At least you can tick those off your list. Sometimes, just a good old Italian Tune-up can do wonders with diesel engines. Make sure yer timing belt/chain is in good order if you go this route though.

Yep tried that😳 The car runs fine and never smokes no matter how hard I rev it so I don't think it's clogged up, I'm thinking if the filter doesn't cure it then it's the SCV valves, I'll get a pair and try that.

Well SCV valve it was, garage swapped for a new one and all is good again😳👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the 2 scv valves do, the garage changed one and it runs ok but I still have a flat spot at low revs, do the valves do different things throughout the rev range?