Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Head Unit?

Sigma365

Hello to all.

I've had my 2010 Auris Hybrid for a year now and apart from adding a DAB system, I've done very little to it. For some time now though, the installed B9030 sat nav unit has been getting on my nerves and more and more I want to replace it.

I've been looking at getting an Android head unit but I've come to realise its not as simple as it should be, I've taken the unit out for a quick look what I'm playing with and I think I've worked out so far:

(far-near)

Aerial, GPS, Steering wheel controls & camera, rear Speakers, front Speakers & power and what I assume to be the reverse gear sensor?

IMAG0102.thumb.jpg.9532ed4d17154e94048c8d32324f000f.jpg

Then I started to look for a head unit. They all seem to be RCA connections? Some even state not suitable for hybrids? So far I've found very little in getting from the plugs I have to a different unit. 

Is this a Toyota thing? A hybrid thing? 

Any insight, help, assistance, words of warning greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm looking for answers that don't exist! 

Thanks in advance,

Shaun.

Oh, and trying to find any information on the B9030 is akin to banging your head on a brick wall. 

1 hour ago, Sigma365 said:

Aerial, GPS, Steering wheel controls & camera, rear speakers, front speakers & power and what I assume to be the reverse gear sensor?...

Hi Shaun, 

Apparently it's complicated to replace the head unit, but actually is not. 

If aerial connector is not the same, you can find an adapter; regarding GPS system, new head unit must have it's own antenna. 

Unfortunately, you lose steering wheel audio controls unless you are lucky to find an adapter for that... 

For power and Speakers (those two big connectors in the middle of head unit) Toyota - ISO adapters can be used, the most of media players have ISO connectors. 

For rear camera you can cut the existing connector, and solder a RCA. +12 V signal for camera can be taken from reverse lamp switch situated above gear box and route the wire from engine compartment to head unit through the fire wall grommet. 

Good luck ! 

• Like 1

Thanks Tavy, I'll look into that. 

I'll have a look around and see if I can get hold of an adapter for the steering wheel controls first.

I've seen this: 

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-auris-2007-double-din-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-and-steering-stalk-control-black.html

Looks like what I'm after?

I'd like to keep any cables in one piece if I can, so I'll have to look at cutting into the cam connection 'down the line' in case I need to swap back again. 

Other than that, I feel a lot closer than I was, thanks again. 

Do the Android head units drain the Battery? That's the only reason that I can think of that some of them are:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Hybird, SE and system with JBL are not compatible with this unit"

If the head unit is proper installed, whether it's with Android or not, won't drain any Battery

I don't think that an Android head unit isn't compatible with Auris Hybrid 2010, because I saw few cars like this equipped with various after market head units, even with a MP3 Toyota player like mine (the simple one, without navigation). 

AH1.jpg

AH2.jpg

Excellent. Looks good. I've found one what doesn't have that warning text now so I feel a lot better after finding that & getting your reply.

Right, I'll get my shopping list compiled then. Don't hold your breath for them, but photos of the fit will be incoming. 

Good luck again ! 

I hope the audio controls adapter to be 100% compatible with Android head unit. 

FKIT-TOYOTA.jpg

Hi, I have a standard 2011 auris head unit and I have bought a touch screen unit from a 2012 both E15 model cars. Just found out the connections for the steering wheel controls don't fit the newer unit, any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

I think, actually I know, I have wimped out here on so many levels.

Looking into an Android head unit I kept hearing warnings about dodgy units and numerous reports of them becoming useless in no time. They were all only on eBay and I'd like to get my hands on one and see it working before I commit £400+ to the project. I'm struggling to find a steering wheel control that is reported to work as well.

I also kept reading about Android Auto compatible units so I looked into those and felt a bit more at ease with known manufacturers and high street sellers. Along side these reports, I read about the Android Auto app.

I installed the app, set it up, got in my Auris, started the car and the app fired up. OK so it's a bit of a faff having to remember getting my phone out and cradle it but it serves as a temporary measure while I look into things more. 

I'm still on the look out for a new unit, but it's a lot of cash to Shell out with no guarantee it will all or part work, so a lot more digging to be done. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links