Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Spring Map Update is available for download

thecaretaker

I have decided to not do the update until there have been more reports of successful upgrades. 

It was with some reluctance that I decided to try the sat nav update a second time. I was concerned that it might cause further problems but then thought, it doesn't work anymore so I don't really have much to lose!

Inserted the USB stick in the port and sat nav screen came up with message: did I wish to reconfigure? Ticked yes and 5 minutes later message advised that update was finished and that I should remove USB stick to complete. Pleased to say that update worked, map details have returned to the screen and sat nav now functions as it should! I was not required to use the activation code and have no idea why the update did not work the first time, why I subsequently “lost” my sat nav map screen and even less idea why it all worked perfectly second time around.

I have 2 further free annual updates available but have very serious doubts I'll bother to use them given my experiences.

Thanks to all those who offered advice to me – much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi I have been using the USB for 2 days on recorded CDs ,talking books and single songs and so far everything is working correctly pity the traffic sign recognition has not been sorted every speed from 5mph to 130 mph even when no road sign is around its not worth having on

3 hours ago, ian rooke said:

Hi I have been using the USB for 2 days on recorded CDs ,talking books and single songs and so far everything is working correctly pity the traffic sign recognition has not been sorted every speed from 5mph to 130 mph even when no road sign is around its not worth having on

Which Traffic speed symbol are you talking about?

The one one the nav screen is not RSA it shows a speed limit when near cameras or if you have set over speed warning based on info in the map software, if so is your nav set to KMH rather than MPH as 130 mph is a bit high

or the speed symbol on the dash display this is RSA which can read speed limit signs using the forward facing cameras, this would not be updated by a nav software update

Hi its the RSA which is giving me trouble I don't know if the camera is reading a distorted image but it is wrong 60%of the time.the. The Sat Nav is right 99%of the time I was hoping that the Sat Nav update would have a effect on its accuracy but it has not. Pity Toyota do not include a log of changes in the upload.The Sat Nav  is set to miles although I has reset itself to Kilometres twice on its own one of the many faults that have appeared in the year I have had the car all to do with the head unit which is why I hoped the update might effect the the RSA.

Ps don't bother to contact Toyota customer services they rarely reply

The RSA is not connected to the Nav in any way so updating the Nav would have no affect on the RSA.  The RSA looks for speed limits signs e.g Red outer rim white background and black text stating speed, as 5 mph is used regularly it can and will display it if it see's the sign in its path, quite where 130 mph is coming from is a mystery though. There are no reported issues or fixes for this so would need to go into the dealers for diag ( if you can note when, where the 130 mph issue occurs and even take a pic this would certainly help )

As for the update log on your Nav what software did you have previously? As Toyota do list the fixes on a technical bulletin to assist dealer diagnosing/repairing based on a customer complaint, for a customer updating through My Toyota they assume it is just a map update as if you had a fault you would be going through the dealer.

Oh well I've downloaded the update & for those that were having problems you must choose to unzip the update to your USB stick which should as instructed, be formatted to FAT32. The unzipped file cannot be saved to the stick hence the messages about there not being enough room on the stick! I'll probably update from this stick next week & hopefully there'll be no problems. Devon Aygo, the RSA from my experience is a bit flakey. A 40MPH Road I use regularly, shows as 130. The sat nav correctly shows the speed limit as 40. It seems to me that the sat nav is more reliable. Personally it a bit of a nuisance but I'm not too fussed about this & reckon it'll eventually be sorted. Didn't have RSA in my previous Prius so it's new to me anyway. 

7 hours ago, Harters said:

I have decided to not do the update until there have been more reports of successful upgrades. 

I will do the same, based on my experience with the previous update. I'd like to be reasonably sure that there aren't any unexpected problems.

The last update was mostly a distinct improvement:

• The maps are much clearer.
  • The cursor now has its arrowhead at the current position, rather than somewhere ahead of the current position.
  • Destination entry is much better than the woeful system that was delivered with the car. Still not very good, but better.

However, the USB playback was a disaster. I listen to a lot of audio books, where it is a really good idea for tracks to be in the correct sequence, and without anything being skipped. Some books are split only by chapters, which can be up to 30 minutes long.

The feature introduced with the last update was the undocumented requirement to switch the audio off before switching the car off. If not,then when you next start the car, the audio picks up randomly at any of: 

• the correct position,
  • the start of a nearby track
  • the start pf the book

Splitting into shorter tracks of around 3 minutes seems to have fixed the problem, but has been a pain in the neck, with the need to change all the mp3 id information.

Hi Devon Aygo thanks for your insight about the RSA I do have photos of the display at 5 MPH and 130MPH also a shadow around the display all this has happened on 30 MPH roads we have only 1 5mph road round here which it displays correctly , I have been to 3 dealers with the  faults and photos and got nowhere as you can see speedo is in MPH limiter is in MPH so I assume the RSA should be in MPH as well.this is a safety system so to me should be 99% accuratenot as hit and miss as it is   

img1.thumb.jpg.badb15111e54b8592a53d6dd85d7575e.jpgimg002.thumb.jpg.948652a88152bef3002f6c212ff84afa.jpg

"The RSA looks for speed limits signs e.g Red outer rim, white background and black text stating speed"

There are a number of these on the backs of vans and lorries.

"quite where 130 mph is coming from is a mystery though"

Those from the continent have km/h values like 90, 110 and 130.

Hi that is what is so annoying the 130 MPH was in a 30MPH area and I was the only car on the road I have also had the National speed limit with a red 90 on it and thiese faults are not once in a while they are every day.

1 minute ago, ian rooke said:

Hi that is what is so annoying the 130 MPH was in a 30MPH area and I was the only car on the road I have also had the National speed limit with a red 90 on it and thiese faults are not once in a while they are every day.

I agree.

I'm surprised Toyota sell the Prius with the Road Sign Assist feature, as IMHO it's nowhere near sufficiently developed to be ready even for Beta testing (in the hands of selected volunteer users).

I would say they same about the auto high-beam, and as for the auto lights, they really should offer a way of switching it off altogether.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I agree.

I'm surprised Toyota sell the Prius with the Road Sign Assist feature, as IMHO it's nowhere near sufficiently developed to be ready even for Beta testing (in the hands of selected volunteer users).

I would say they same about the auto high-beam, and as for the auto lights, they really should offer a way of switching it off altogether.

I can live without the RSA, LKA, Auto lights, Auto high beam and Auto wipers. 

RSA misreads or doesn't read  more signs than it reads correctly.

LKA  doesn't see some lines and when it does see them it warns you after the line has been crossed instead of before.

Auto lights can't be turned off and frequently come on at the wrong time, e.g. going under a bridge just before a side road, light come on, traffic waiting at the side road thinks you're flashing them to come out.

Auto high beam slow to react and makes it awkward to flash someone as the stalk has to be pulled back further from the high beam position.  

I take them as gimmicks which don't work very well, they're just a very basic taste of things to come. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kithmo said:

I can live without the RSA, LKA, Auto lights...

I'd LOVE to live without the auto lights!