Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how easy or difficult is it to add satnav

martin68

Hi guys, Yesterday i bought myself an Auris Excel Hybrid estate 2013/14

It comes with all the toys but when i press the Nav button, I get the message "not activated"

Can anyone please tell me what is involved in order to activate the Satnav?

There is a separate module one has to buy (Go or Go+) rather than it just being activation process.

• Like 1

I understand it's quite expensive but a feature I'm going to be adding to mine, I had a Prius T-Spirit before my Auris and it's a convenience I really miss.

honestly, just buy a Garmin or Tomtom or a large screen mobile phone/tablet running something like Google Maps/Wayze etc.

The maps will be more current & updates don't cost you £100.

6 hours ago, martin68 said:

Hi guys, Yesterday i bought myself an Auris Excel Hybrid estate 2013/14

It comes with all the toys but when i press the Nav button, I get the message "not activated"

Can anyone please tell me what is involved in order to activate the Satnav?

Fitting fairly simple, here is the guide and part numbers required: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/7299a79b-9dc4-4cc8-8907-f7e29851193b/Auris_RHD_Touch_and_Go_Plus_PZ490_00331_B0_AIM_002_585_2.pdf

• Like 2

i wouldnt bother with the removal of the instrument cluster or surround to fit the gps antenna (3,4,5)

when i retro fitted ours i mounted the aerial on the ledge by the lower right hand

securing screw for the head unit and it works perfectly ,within 1/2 an hour you will

be able to retro fit the nav to your car.

remove trim around head unit (1 & 2)

remove 4 securing screws & pull out head unit (6)

disconnect wiring

connect the wiring plug from nav unit to head unit (i) then secure nav with the mounting brackets (J & K)

connect the bridgeing cables (G & H)

reconnect all original cables but this time connect the usb cable to the nav unit instead

route the cable for the gps antenna refit head unit

jobs done

• Like 1

so whats the difference in the  touch and go -vs- touch and go plus?

Also can a touch and go2 be compatible?

the touch & go isnt just plug and play with touch & go 2 as the wiring plugs are differemt

i am sure it could be done if the wiring diagrams are to hand

so if i took the plunge and spent the high amount of money on the satnav add on, what should i expect feature wise? can i put in a full 6 digit post code? as all my previous navs built into cars didn't allow for 6 digit post code entry.

What other features can i expect? 

I don't want an add on, such as a tomtom, I have google maps on my smart phone if it comes to the worst, so is the bulit in satnav as good as doogle maps? I read somewhere that it can show street view.

Also, what procedure is used to update the map? in my Peugeot it was a CD rom.

Touch & Go v Touch & Go Plus https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/toyota-touch.json

Yes, you have full 6 fig. Postcode.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother - even on (infrequent) release the mapping will probably be 1 year out of date & it will cost you ~£100. A large screen smartphone or tablet in a mount running Google maps or similar will be more up to date & have better traffic.

The maps are updated by downloading a file from Toyota, expanding/unzipping that to an USB pendrive & plugging that into the car. It will then take some time to update the car during which the engine has to be running (otherwise the head unit will shut down when the car does for Battery protection resulting in a bricked head unit) - at least they now allow us to update only partial mapping rather than the whole thing at once - that used to take around an hour with the engine running ...

i wouldn't be too bothered about the maps being out of date

even with an old map the nav will get you to the place you want to get to.

we have been looking at houses recently and having the nav on

has helped to locate roads without having to have a postcode

for the property your looking for.

we paid £150 for the headunit from a gt86 that had been written off

so luckily it didnt cost much and i could justify the cost

I read that you can buy wifi  boxes that can tune into your smartphone, I. e Google satnav map and via a wired composite video link it can be mirrored onto the lcd display of the car, so long as the car radio has video inputs. This would be a neat and cheap way of getting satnav on a non satnav enabled head unit, as well as all your other apps from your phone.

The big question is, does the head unit in the Auris have aux  video inputs?

here is a nav unit for the touch 1 system ,if you where interested in it ask them

to include the 2 mounting brackets and the 2 link cables that go from the head unit to the nav unit

the 3rd cable is already in the photo ,on top of that £10 for the gps aerial.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-TOUCH-GO-EU-SAT-NAV-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-MODULE-AURIS-AVENSIS-RAV4-3-/272536450133?hash=item3f74703455:g:7qQAAOSwt5hYiy1A

Thanks for the link, I just bought the one in the first link for £180 before anyone else does.

Can you confirm that it's the correct unit for the Auris, as it states it was taken out of an Avensis 

maybe the mounting brackets won't fit the unit is good . the GPS antenne you stick it up your speedo cluster with tape

i am certain the brackets will fit as the nav unit cant be wider than any unit it is compatible with.

with regards to the nav antenna i located it by the lower right radio screw ours fitted on the little shelf

this will save you removing the dash.

@ Martin 68:

Are going to fit it yourself??

Yes the plan is to fir it 

1 hour ago, G6-R said:

@ Martin 68:

Are going to fit it yourself??

yes the plan is to fit it myself. is there anything i should be aware of? I am an electronics engineer by the way.

No just be carefull and pull the dash straight to you.

This was when i pulled mine out for the toyota subwoofer

005.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 1

My satnav box arrived this morning, i plan to be fitting it later today, so I thought ide ask a couple of questions before i begin.

1, Whats the best procedure to get the dash and radio unit out to allow access to fit the satnav box?

2, can this be done while leaving the 12v Battery connected? if its essential to disconnect the Battery, does anything have to be reset after reconnecting 12v power, such as radio codes etc.? Is the radio coded?

if you dont have trim removal tools then you could use a knife blade covered in insulation tape

as you need to get between the dash and the fascia then the facia unclips with a gentle pull

4 bolts and the head unit is out,unclip the wiring from the head unit attach the nav box cable

to the headunit then fasten both units together,put the aerial cable into the nav box then the

aerial link cable from nav box to headunit the usb cable needs to be fitted to the nav box aswell

all other cables are self explanatory

i'm in the process of fitting the unit now, but because my satnav is from an Avensis, I have discovered that the antenna cable is too short to carry over to the prefered placement above the instrument cluster, I have two options, one is to extend the cable, which i don't really want to do, and the second is to place the antenna above the two central air vent pipes with the cable trailing down between the two pipes which is directly above the radio. If i did the latter, i'm guessing the satellite reception will be just as good? as i'm guessing that the dashboard top is the same consistency above the central vent area as it is above the instrument cluster?