Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement engine

Kind Panda

Thinking of replacing the engine in my 2004 1.8 VVTi petrol oil guzzler. 

Is there a reliable more recent motor that would be a direct swap for the engines with defective pistons / piston rings? Also wondered how long the job may realistically take.

Any Avensis T25 Mk2 from 2006 to 2008, face lift version. It should be a straight swap. Don't use Celica engine as it has a slightly different tune and setup.  

Edited by Konrad C
additional info
  • Like 1

Hi Konrad,

would:

"Any Avensis T25 Mk2 from 2006 to 2008, face lift version. It should be a straight swap. Don't use Celica engine as it has a slightly different tune and setup"

be suitable for my 1.8 vvt-i 2001 T22 estate?

thanks

Drew

It should be the same, as the engine was carried over from Mk1 to Mk2 practically unchanged - same power and torque figures. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So a 

2003 1ZZ t 52 Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI Engine wont fit? Or just the head isn't suitable? 

Why don't you look for a post '05 Avensis engine? Then you know that the block will have the reliable modifications. The Celica block has to be okay - not oil burning. I am not sure what  differences in the head, but there is 10 hp difference. Will the ECU work with it?

Basically, you need to know that the donor 1ZZ engine block is the fixed later 2006 onward, and that rules out the Celica since production stopped 2005. Any 1ZZ built before the modifications will be a lottery, because unless it comes with verified documents, the condition, mileage, did burn oil or not, was it a replacement engine, year of build, history - you could back at square one! 

If I was in your position, I would be looking for a late as possible (2006-2008) T25 1ZZ engine, which has lowish mileage. That way you reduce the risk of going back to square one.

Sorry to repeat myself.   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The inevitable happened last week when the engine completely and utterly shat itself on the M6. Not a good day. No testament for the perceived Toyota reliability.

How long is an engine change going to take me and how complicated is it? Extent of my mechanics include changing shockers, replacing brake pads and an alternator, and ultimately, is it worth it?

kaput.png

1 hour ago, Kind Panda said:

No testament for the perceived Toyota reliability.

Then again the car is 13 years old ....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Then again the car is 13 years old ....

I'd expect it to last more than 73k miles

1 hour ago, Kind Panda said:

The inevitable happened last week when the engine completely and utterly shat itself on the M6. Not a good day. No testament for the perceived Toyota reliability.

How long is an engine change going to take me and how complicated is it? Extent of my mechanics include changing shockers, replacing brake pads and an alternator, and ultimately, is it worth it?

kaput.png

How unlucky. What are you going to do? The choice would be buy another car (make/model), or get a secondhand engine from a 2006-2008 write-off Avensis. It depends on the cost. 
That is why I jumped from the lean-burn 7AFE to the 2ZR-FAE Valvematic. I would have bought a late 1ZZ hatcback/estate, but my budget enabled me to get the Mk3.
When I first had my Mk1 lean-burn, I was envious of the face-lift and the 1ZZ - it had more power, and no cambelt. The cambelt was not a problem, and in normal driving the leanburn was fine. Later I found this forum and learnt about the 1ZZ oil burning issue. I then felt fortunate with my choice of car, which I sold with over 150,000 miles. The biggest problem was the transmission. The car is now 19 years old and still going! 
I hope my current car goes as long. The 2ZR engine is good on oil, and servicing is very simple. The only item I have yet to change is the ancillary belt, and I have a spare in the boot. I did have the clutch changed - wear and tear item and previous driver style.      

4 hours ago, Kind Panda said:

I'd expect it to last more than 73k miles

Yes indeed .but with the necessary checks ie oil water/coolant etc you could of caught it early.I had a 2003 T25 1.8vvti that burnt oil as quick as petrol but I kept on top of it and I had it for 2 years with 135k miles on it. Hope you get sorted they really are a brilliant car!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links