Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT Failures now passes? Can someone explain

ABToyota

So Last year my car was an MOT Failure :

001 Brake Pipe excessively corroded offside rear.

002 Brake Pipe excessively corroded (both front to rear)

With Advisory

Nearside front (wishbone rear starting to separate)

This year

It passes 

With Advisory

001 Brake Pipe slightly corroded Nearside Rear.

002 Brake Pipe slightly corroded Offside Front 

Both these MOT's were done at the same garage but different testers. 

So what was an advisory last year (wishbone) is not an issue anymore? Also does that mean the breakpipes were not repaired properly last time as they have corroded again in a years time?

As with any MOT, presumably it is down to the opinion of the individual tester.

• Like 3

When certain brake pipes are corroded it is usually just those specific pipes which are replaced, they don't re-pipe the whole car. Last year they presumably replaced the offside rear and both of the front to rear pipes, but the others were OK at that point. This year the nearside rear and offside front pipes are now also beginning to show signs of corrosion, but not yet bad enough to be a fail.

As for the wishbone bush, things like can be a matter of opinion whether it's an issue or not. It's not at all uncommon for different testers to have different opinions on the degree of wear on a particular component. Take a car for MOT's at five different garages and you may well get five different results!

• Like 3

if the pipes where replaced last year then i wouldn't be concerned

as copper does corrode but this is normal for copper when its exposed to the elements

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, eygo said:

if the pipes where replaced last year then i wouldn't be concerned

as copper does corrode but this is normal for copper when its exposed to the elements

From the details given it sounds like the pipes they replaced last year aren't the same ones they are now saying are corroded. Last year it failed on offside rear and 2x front to rear. This year it's got an advisory on nearside rear and offside front. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

As with any MOT, presumably it is down to the opinion of the individual tester.

Very true! my brother had a noisy suspension on his Renault Grand Scenic for well over a year or more. He pointed it out to the dealer when he took it in for service and MOT. He got the car back with the pass and less noisy suspension. Well a couple of days ago, he decided to use the council garage where he works. it failed on a broken spring!

I changed the spring for him last night and the car is now quiet. The noise was where the broken spring rubbed against the H part of the suspension. It broke at the very bottom so could be the reason why it was not spotted by the previous tester. 

20170504_170153.thumb.jpg.baffed24be1dfa908329d9541d07ee19.jpg20170504_175054.thumb.jpg.131bf6a2710b104dcaafd4b341901deb.jpg20170504_171412.thumb.jpg.25d690bb16585ed56f434e49ae98d23f.jpg

On another note, I questioned my brother why is a taking an 8 year old car to main dealers, so he made the change. Still cheaper than the main dealer including the spring change, by a huge margin! 

MOT testers are only human.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links