Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Touring Sport Hybrid Excel, Real MPG?

martin68

Fortunately the 2nd cat that is often stolen are not monitored by any electronics and will not effect how the car runs. Only more poluting a bit. The main cat on the exhaust manifold do most of the job. 

@Fostel how fast do you drive and how low the outside temperature and how long (minutes) you normally commute?  If you often do very short trip and turn the heater on, the engine will be on in the whole trip. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well for the last few days I am seeing the worst ever mpg on my car, although temperatures are higher in comparison with two three weeks ago my car is struggling to get even 50mpg, seats around 46-48mpg, same roads, same speeds, same fuel., tyres even slightly overinflated. I can feel the car is fighting to accelerate more than ever before.
Either its because of the heavy winds and rain which activity can impact mpg more than anyone else or the car is coming to it’s end. We will see. Anyone noticed anything similar?

Sorted. 
it wasn’t from the winds, although these cause fuel consumption increase.
It turned out to be a stuck brake calliper piston on the front left wheel. 
This morning coming home noticed the burning smell and on checking the disc temperatures see what I found. I did some work on as temporarily fix and hoped it will be ok for the next few months, will be testing later tonight. 
image.thumb.jpeg.45c74a904ec2991d1cef1cf58be8ba12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af20a0e353b9156426f0ee3d08083b10.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c8ad7e2eac0cbc28a77b1277857a78e4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e2026b970a15b6b7037943502de22698.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36973f8fefc10dcb5fcb38bb932acc0b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, AisinW said:

@Fostel how fast do you drive and how low the outside temperature and how long (minutes) you normally commute?  If you often do very short trip and turn the heater on, the engine will be on in the whole trip. 

It seems that the reason for higher consumption was just 'winter' and not cat replacement.

The last two fill ups were 45.9 and 47.9 UK MPG

My average stays around 47 MPG as it was since I've got the car in 2016.

1274442180_2023-05-10_160818.thumb.png.cc16918d8f80b02a0dab96d5df535b3f.png

1888691349_2023-05-10_160904.thumb.png.34782c7ed64118baa28b4deacc59ddf9.png

2023-05-10_16:10:38.png

2023-05-10_16:11:45.png

• Like 2

For 1 year, 16,000 Km average, I got 4.6L/100 Km or 61 MPG (imperial) on Auris Touring Sport.  I live in rural area but 2x a week I went to city that has enough traffic jam.  However, 90% of driving is in suburban or autobahn. I normaly cruise at 60mph and occasionally at 70mph.  4000 miles is in mountainous area in summer.   I had similar situation like what Tony had but not for very long. The right rear pads stuck a bit but I cought it easily because of the mild periodic squaking noise.   In a long drive motorway, I often cruise behind bus for about 100 m away.  it is saver to go on the slow lane than middle lane with a lot of speed changes.  Besides that, the wind drag reduction can drop the mpg 3.5L/100 km easily. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AisinW said:

For 1 year, 16,000 Km average, I got 4.6L/100 Km or 61 MPG (imperial) on Auris Touring Sport.  I live in rural area but 2x a week I went to city that has enough traffic jam.  However, 90% of driving is in suburban or autobahn. I normaly cruise at 60mph and occasionally at 70mph.  4000 miles is in mountainous area in summer.   I had similar situation like what Tony had but not for very long. The right rear pads stuck a bit but I cought it easily because of the mild periodic squaking noise. 

You are not in the UK, aren't you?

I am in London, so yeah... traffic! and speed-bumps! and potholes! Not fun to drive at all.

I carry spare wheel in the boot and the wheels are heavy, low profile 17 inch. I hate them. The Priuses that have 15 or 16 inch wheels are less draggy. The petrol may also be different in the UK

I just checked your profile. My Auris is 2013, yours 2016 which was a facelift model, no?

Is it still 3rd gen HSD?

Edited by Fostel
Added info
  • Like 2

I remember how London roads and traffic are.  It was not really pleasant to drive there. I have 17" too for summer and 16" all seasons (for rainy winter) in Germany. The roads are relatively good, almost like Tenessee or Florida but with tons of hidden Traffict cameras.   My daily commute are on state roads with typical speed of 45mph or 73kmh.  My AC is on all year long to keep humidity down and cool the HV Battery

• Like 3

London speed bumps and potholes are on another level. I had recently traveled up north to Bradford and York, then last weekend down south to Portsmouth and I can tell you as soon as you leave M25 let say 20+ miles you are entering another country, the better and probably the real England, not London 🫢😄 Efficiency definitely killed by potholes, bumps and rough roads along with congestion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure that they are Tony, but I went to Grantham hospital today for a head x-ray.

(Which is handy for when people tell me that I ought to get my head examined 😅)

I went with my neighbour who was kind enough to drive me there in his car, didn't go A1, but the b roads.

He has fairly low profiles on his infinity, and they were crashing into the potholes nearly all the way there and back.

3 lessons learned from that trip.

Take the A1.

Don't order anything with chips from the recruiting sergeant pub for lunch, when you have had recent tooth extractions,bit crispy those chips.

Don't go looking for a new pair of shoes in the giant downtown shopping multi retail outlet unless you are trained in 3 mile route marches.

Two old men with walking sticks don't quite cut it.

• Haha 5

Back to excellent mpg again with weather warms up. I ve got 58mpg the other day and 56mpg after refill this morning. Last night there were super strong winds and even so the car did very well on fuel 👌

image.thumb.jpeg.5901984e9734bc208290ba9ff49efab2.jpeg

• Like 1

Mine's gone up very noticeably too; I nearly had it up to 82 with some more restrained driving on this tank, but I had to take the mother of all diversions to pick up the folks from Stansted yesterday night (They literally closed every onramp I had to take; Not the rest of the road/motorway, just those specific onramps!! Gah!!), and dropped it back down to the high 70s trying to make up time!

• Like 2