Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Touring Sport Hybrid Excel, Real MPG?

martin68

I love the warm weather.

20170509_085207.thumb.jpg.0fbe05d86f7a6d2d56eae330eb4076df.jpg

20170429_155145.thumb.jpg.bd2d26340cce2c4f177122b24ece8b64.jpg

Both on 15 mile trips on overall flat gradient.

• Like 3

Shame the older models, just show the chart and not the end figure. :tongue:

• Like 1

I've done two trips today - average of 75 MPG (computer reported). :D

The fuel gauge hardly moved (48 miles total).

• Like 1

My average over 3000 miles is  5,2 liter per km, which equals 45,23 miles per gallon (US).      =       54,32 miles per gallon UK.

Best tank to tank figure was 67,26 miles per gallon UK.
Worst one was 45,93 miles per gallon UK.
Must be aware that this was all winter driving so it should be getting better in summer.
Also : i am a calm driver and really do the best i can to improve the MPG numbers, trying to drive electric whenever i can.
This is my first hybrid car and these are my first miles on it. I bought the car in november 2016, second hand, with 16 miles on the clock.

All numbers were measured from tank to tank and based on the amount of petrol that really went in.
Sorry for the previous numbers I posted , I always seemed to calculate to miles per gallon US, but found out now that UK uses an other figure.

UK uses imperial gallons, which is 4.545 L per gallon.

67 MPG is more like it! Auris is supposed to be slightly more efficient than the Yaris, and you can comfortably achieve 65 MPG (tank average) without doing anything special.

This evening I drove like a loony, and still achieved a computer reported average of 58 MPG after 36 miles. :laugh:

• Like 2

I thought the Yaris was more efficient. Ours seems to be, I drive it the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think if you look at official consumption, Auris is technically more efficient. I thought this did translate in real-world, too.

6 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I think if you look at official consumption, Auris is technically more efficient. I thought this did translate in real-world, too.

From my Fuelly figures, it appears the Yaris does better. Now that could be down to it doesn't get used for the cold early morning journeys. Just Shopping on Saturdays, which clocks up 30 miles with 4 separate stops.

Shame I never recorded the same shopping trip in the Auris, the time I wanted to get my car cleaned.

You lot are making even more jealous. I plan to keep my Avensis for another 4 or 5 years, but reading your fuel returns which almost doubles mine, rubs it in. I am in the mid to upper thirties in town driving and in the forties or more on longer journeys. 

So here is the picture I will have to stare at :- 

20170510_125413.thumb.jpg.fb36a13d313d2530fd4b6b4bbcbdeda7.jpg

What I would like to have and what I own.

I have a full size alloy, so the space saver is in the shed. If and when I get an Auris TS, I can use the space saver - same PCD.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

You lot are making even more jealous. I plan to keep my Avensis for another 4 or 5 years, but reading your fuel returns which almost doubles mine, rubs it in. I am in the mid to upper thirties in town driving and in the forties or more on longer journeys. 

So here is the picture I will have to stare at :- 

20170510_125413.thumb.jpg.fb36a13d313d2530fd4b6b4bbcbdeda7.jpg

What I would like to have and what I own.

I have a full size alloy, so the space saver is in the shed. If and when I get an Auris TS, I can use the space saver - same PCD.  

Sorry, I was just trying to see how my driving compares to others. :happy:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

With my AURIS EXCEL tourer with 17 inch tyres  I find it possible to run to 30 mph in pure electric mode once vehicle has been operated around 10 minutes prior to this it knocks off at 20mph I also find I achieve my best economy whilst having done 80 -100 motorway miles then back to urban around 50-53 mpg whilst driving pure  urban with a small mixture of motorway and fast roads  I average around 46-49 mpg 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jet1969 said:

With my AURIS EXCEL tourer with 17 inch tyres  I find it possible to run to 30 mph in pure electric mode once vehicle has been operated around 10 minutes prior to this it knocks off at 20mph I also find I achieve my best economy whilst having done 80 -100 motorway miles then back to urban around 50-53 mpg whilst driving pure  urban with a small mixture of motorway and fast roads  I average around 46-49 mpg 

If you are pressing the EV button, then the car will do what you are describing.

The car will still run in pure electric without pressing EV, and will work above 20 mph. Sadly Toyota didn't do a good job of explaining driving on pure electric only.

Accelerating while keeping the power dial below the middle of the C in the word ECO, you will remain on electric. This will continue roughly up to 50 mph, after that the ICE will keep running.

Probably someone will explain things much better than I have.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-24 at 11:24 PM, jet1969 said:

Please ignore the previous reply, after reading your post a second time, I realised my previous reply wasn't answering you.

I would recommend using something like fuelly.com if you don't already.

The figures provided by the car can be misleading.

My overall average is 56+mpg, but half of my urban journeys are over that and reach into the 70s.

Since having my hybrid and got used to it, one thing has changed. I no longer pull away as quickly and avoid going into power part of the power dial. This has helped my average creep up.

Motorways is one area that I probably need improve on, as I don't do as many miles on them at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've yet to check my tyre pressures (I'll do it in the morning), but it seems quite sensitive to tyre pressure (especially if they're low).

My MPG is slowly dropping and my thought is that the front right tyre is soft (it looked softer than the front left when I looked the other day) so my guess is that is the culprit. That it looks soft suggests it might be really quite soft (low-profile tyres don't deform much until the pressure gets low). TPMS hasn't triggered yet though which is good meaning it isn't VERY low (< ~20 psi).

Would like to give a plus to car builders who make the tyre pressure visible on the screen exactly for each tyre.
Better than to just be waiting for the system to give an alarm about it .. or not.

Same with the daft idea to take temperature gauges out of dashboards and replacing it by blue and red light.  
Or giving speedometers more than 10 procent deviation.

Car builders should stop assuming that all customers are idiots.

On 05/05/2017 at 2:08 PM, DarrenM said:

have you reset the average Mpg otherwise you will be combining your driving style with the previous owners style

do a reset then after a few days you will have a proper Mpg reading for your journeys

• 2 months later...

I have had my car just under 4 weeks now and been filling up and recording mileage on my spreadsheet.  Urban journeys to and from work and around town I have returned 50.33 and 52.66 over 255 and 165 miles respectively. I have also been down to London from Sheffield (M1) and returned 67.66 mpg over 355 miles and just got back from Norfolk where we have covered 545 miles and returned 70.58 mpg which I find better than my expectations. The vehicle trip computer seems to estimate about 2mpg better than I actually got. Really pleased with my change to a hybrid

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Average from over 6 years and 50k miles is 47 MPG (UK) or 6L/100km

https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/auris_touring_sports/2014/fostel/527271

Now after the cat replacement it seems to be lower but I haven't make my judgement yet as the outdoor temperature is lower and I am doing only a short, few mile long trips. Will  monitor this though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fostel said:

Average from over 6 years and 50k miles is 47 MPG (UK) or 6L/100km

https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/auris_touring_sports/2014/fostel/527271

Now after the cat replacement it seems to be lower but I haven't make my judgement yet as the outdoor temperature is lower and I am doing only a short, few mile long trips. Will  monitor this though.

That’s a realistic figures and very typical for your usage. Those pictures above from past posts are actually  too optimistic and not achievable in real world driving conditions with Auris., Prius or Yaris perhaps can do. 
For Auris hybrid 1+2 gen and Lexus CT200h and the 7 seater Prius + 50mpg and anything above are brilliant numbers 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s a realistic figures and very typical for your usage. Those pictures above from past posts are actually  too optimistic and not achievable in real world driving conditions with Auris., Prius or Yaris perhaps can do. 
For Auris hybrid 1+2 gen and Lexus CT200h and the 7 seater Prius + 50mpg and anything above are brilliant numbers 👍

I know. I knew it before I purchased the car that Toyota claims of 70MPG are far fetched.

The average at 47 MPG calculated is very accurate for my car as I only used full tanks, mostly even the same pump. But mind that I drive Touring Sports that is a estate body and I believe it to be heavier. Also, 17 inch wheels with a low profile tire and a spare wheel in the boot does add weight.

• Like 1

For MPG number, EPA USA Goverment website did much better real life test with high speed wind Drag effects and AC.  Generally speaking, all MPG in Europe are never that accurate because of what EPA stated in 2008.  They do the test in non real condition.  Cars pre-2008 had mpg changes by EPA. For instance the Nissan Altima 2002 becomes 27 MPG in 2008 from 32 MPG in 2002.    

Prius 2010-2015 is 50 MPG (USA) or about 4.7 L/100 Km. Prius  has better drag coefficient than any Corolla or Auris. Therefore, we never get better than 4.7 L/100 Km in real driving condition (mix 50/50 city/interstates).  So, if you can drive less than 5.5L/100 Km, you do a very good job in economical driving.  If I drive my Auris TS less than 120km/h or 70mph, I always can get less than 5.5L/100 Km but not when driving at 130km/h (recommended speed in Autobahn).  Driving in state roads ~ 80-100 Km/h is better. I get about 4.5-5 L/100 Km at that speed range. 

• Like 2

One more thing to add about some Aurises and Prius + is that they have heavier driveshafts, brake components on front axle  and suspension set up, close or similar to  rav4 from these years, where standard Prius and ct200h has lighter set up on the front. Noticed that when looking for spare parts. 👍 

• Like 1

Good point Tony.  Prius has aluminum knuckle, 5x 100 mm wheel pattern not 5x114.3 mm, smaller brake disc, thinner tires  215/45R17, torsion beam suspension, aluminum hood, drag coeff. 0.25 not 0.28 (in auris), exhaust coolant heat changer.  

I still prefer Auris TS with larger trunk and much better handling than Prius or Prius +. Prius+ is the heaviest and lowest MPG for obvious reason. The Auris fall 2015 facelift  has better insulation and safety sense 1 (sign recognition, emergency breaking, auto high beam, collision avoidance, etc.). Something that even Lexus NX 2015 do not have.

It is much harder to find prius here than Auris so I decided to get Auris TS instead of Prius. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I promised to keep you updated. I just done another full fill up and it burned 7.6L per 100 km what calculates to MPG: 31.1 / UK MPG: 37.4

I am not a happy bunny as this is the highest consumption I ever had.

Since I had cat replaced with a generic one I noticed that the car computer always starts from 0MPG and climbs slowly up. You can imagine that on the short trips it does not go far up. I ignored the computer readings and waited for the true calculation from the pump.

Will see how it behaves later as we had low temperatures and I did not cover the intakes this year.

Anyway, I am happy that the thief's will never came back for a generic cat that is visibly welded on. Even if, peace of mind is more important to me than petrol consumption.

• Like 1

Is that much worse than before? I wonder if it is over-fuelling to try and heat up the cat faster but is doing it too much because the cat isn't sending back the right sensor readings?

I have heard that insurance companies initially replaced stolen cats with third party ones, but due to them causing lots of expensive problems which the insurance company then had to rectify, a lot of them now just send cars to Toyota dealers to have Toyota cats installed.

• Like 1