Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris and Avensis 2014+ rolled out in BMW engines!

LOVEJAP

Hi all,

I've heard different views from people about the 2014 Auris, Verso and Avensis 1.6D has either the mini cooper one diesel, or the BMW 116d efficiency dynamics engine and one go as far as the 116d twin turbo engine lol Does anyone one what one it actually is? Any proof? Toyota confirmed today its the same engine being rolled out in all three models. 

Cheers

The BMW diesel engines are used in the Verso (January 2014 on), Auris and Avensis (mid 2015 on, not 2014) and the Rav4. The Verso and Auris use the 1.6,  the Avensis the 1.6 and 2.0, and Rav4 the 2.0 litre.

The four cylinder diesels are BMW N47 engines, and were used in the last generation Mini and the BMW 1-series up to the end of 2014. The three versions of the BMW engine you mention, are all variants of the N47. The N47 has been modified by Toyota for their use.

Note that the current Mini and BMW 1-series from January 2015, use BMW's 3 cylinder 1.5 litre diesel engines.

• Like 1

Is that a bad thing?

The MG ZT had a BMW engine and it was the 'good one'..... the rest is put together by Toyota

I always thought the d-4d was the weak point anyway - from a performance poitn of view it lacks...well anything and has now low end torque diesels i renowned for.

Having spoken to a few owners & the service dept. of my local dealer it seems to me at best to be a sideways move from the AD series diesels.

I have been running a 1.6 Auris diesel for 5 months now. The engine is OK, torque is reasonable but not massive, personally I think it's a tad noisy and the engine fan cuts in and out even on a cold day which surprisingly I find annoying (must be my age) Comfortable to drive though, seats are good, 

Kingo :thumbsup:

On 5.5.2017 at 9:33 AM, NorthantsPete said:

I always thought the d-4d was the weak point anyway - from a performance poitn of view it lacks...

D4D covers pretty many motor types. CD, ND, AD, KD etc. D4D is just Toyota's name for common rail direct fuel injection, it's not a specific motor type.

I've owned a brand new diesel auris for 3 weeks now with the BMW engine

huh

its nice to drive yeah 

but it's in the dealership injector no 4 failed

new car huh I think I'd rather have an old banger

• 4 years later...

To be safe, get the 1.6d and take a stage one chip tune on it. Its fast enough for 95% of your use.

The 1.6d is made entierely by TOYOTA and is a good engine. 

Driven it like an idiot for 80.000km + now over 200.000.km and in that time i have done THREE oil changes.....

No maintance on the engine whatsoever exept air filter.

I would say the engine is close to bulletproof.

37 minutes ago, Richard Toyota said:

To be safe, get the 1.6d and take a stage one chip tune on it. Its fast enough for 95% of your use.

Driven it like an idiot for 80.000km + now over 200.000.km and in that time i have done THREE oil changes.....

I would think that it must be bulletproof, given the poor maintenance record 😡

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, Richard Toyota said:

Isn't the 1.6d a BMW Engine?

14 minutes ago, davidif said:

Isn't the 1.6d a BMW Engine?

Yes - both the later (2015 on) 1.6D4D and 2.0D4D are based on the BMW N47