Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla E12 Front Shock Absorber advice?

kuljit55

Hi guys, i just got my mot done on my 2003 1.6 manual e12 corolla, and had a advisory for the front driver sider shocker. It has a slight leak. I was looking to replace it anytime soon, so wanted some advice on this. 

I am checking on Euro Car Parts and im finding 2 brands of front shockers which are: 

1. Sachs Shock Absorber (£131.99)

2. Kayaba Shock Absorber (£125.99)

Can someone please suggest which one would be a better option to go for out the two? Or suggest any other decent ones i could go for? Also which brand are the genuine ones on the corolla? 

Thanks

Hi,

Don't know who made the original shocks for the Corolla.

Those ECP prices look high, other places a lot lower including Toyota, eg £80 ish !

Check with your local  Toyota dealer or their eBay shop for your exact model, sample link here -

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ToyotaOfficialStore?_fsub=4563088012&_nkw=Corolla&_nkw=2003&_nkw=&submit=SEARCH&LH_TitleDesc=1

Edit  - forgive mentioning as expect you know, but you must replace both front shocks as a pair.

You might also want to get some new rubber covers and bump stops to protect them.

000269.jpg

On Sat May 06 2017 at 8:56 PM, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Don't know who made the original shocks for the Corolla.

Those ECP prices look high, other places a lot lower including Toyota, eg £80 ish !

Check with your local  Toyota dealer or their ebay shop for your exact model, sample link here -

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ToyotaOfficialStore?_fsub=4563088012&_nkw=Corolla&_nkw=2003&_nkw=&submit=SEARCH&LH_TitleDesc=1

Edit  - forgive mentioning as expect you know, but you must replace both front shocks as a pair.

You might also want to get some new rubber covers and bump stops to protect them.

000269.jpg

Thanks for the reply, just rang local toyota dealer, got a quote for £76 which is alot better than ECP, also asked if should change both sides. The rep suggested to do only side that needs replacing, he said some people tend to do both but its not essential. 

Im also getting a quote for Kyb branded shocker for £65, would that be a good choice or should i consider the £76 one from Toyota?

Also asked about the spring coil which quotes at £118. So was wondering if i brought the shocker from Toyota, and the spring coil from ECP, would they fit on together? Or you have to get the same brand as the shocker? 

1 hour ago, kuljit55 said:

Thanks for the reply, just rang local toyota dealer, got a quote for £76 which is alot better than ECP, also asked if should change both sides. The rep suggested to do only side that needs replacing, he said some people tend to do both but its not essential.

I wouldn't listen to the rep about that. Your car is 14 years old, and let's just say the shocks are the same age. It's my understanding that if you put a new shock absorber on the left hand side, that side is going to handle bumps far better than the 14 year old shock absorber on the right hand side.

It's a different story if you're changing front shock absorbers, you don't really need to change the rear at the same time. But I think you should always change both shock absorbers.

• Like 2

When you get your old shock  out and compress it by hand, then do the same with the new one, the difference is dramatic.

Yes, you can fit them one off, but can you imagine what the handling would be like one side soft , one firm  ??

Anyone saying its good practice to fit just one to a car that age should be re-trained.

Kyb better than Toyota  , who knows, its almost impossible to say unless you have actually fitted and used both yourself, plus the actual manufacturers and parts in the shockers will change  over  the years.  The Brand Name on a part does not mean they made it.

If the springs are not broken or badly corroded,  do they need changing  ?  another very hard to answer question, again never found a clear cut answer to that.

• Like 2

I had KYB on my impreza for about 3 years.  I had no problems with them. Quite comfy to and not too hard! 

So many out there though now. Take you 6 months to choose 👍

• Like 1

Just from looking for shock absorbers for my E11 last night, came across onlinecarparts.co.uk. They seem good value for money, and they have tonnes of choice so it will take you 6 months to choose! Which isn't too bad, as they're a German company so they'll take nearly 2 weeks to post you the order.

But, to back what Razzer said, I've heard good things about KYB's from other forums etc, saying the same thing about them being comfy and not hard. So much so I bought 4 of them for my rolla!

Okay i have managed to get both front side shockers at a good price. The brand is called: Ashika, not heard of them before but will report after i have them fitted on. Thanks

Hope they work out for you buddy 

• Like 1

Not heard of the Ashika  brand before, but seems they are a sub division of JapanParts.

• Like 1

They're a cheaper brand than JapanParts, which worries me a little as JP are already cheap.

Okay so what happened was, i got the shockers and went to my mechanic friend, he started removing the shocker by undoing the Anti-roll bar link nut and realised there is no oil leak or mist of oil what so ever, he advised me not to change them and ring the mot place

So i rang them and they said at time of mot, when the tester touched the shocker, he must have got a stain of oil on his finger so put it on advisory. 

I said my mechanic checked it and theres no sign of oil what so ever, they said it might have re-sealed it self after. They said they cant give me a clean certificate. They said its nothing to worry about. So thats that.

However as my mechanic had losen the anti roll bar link nut, which was a struggle being old original one, he said i think we have disturbed the anti roll bar by undoing it, even though he tightened it up, i now get a slight knock when i go over bumps. 

So any advise to if i should change them now? Thanks

I think you've got the parts, you've started the job, you might as well just replace them and don't bother giving that MOT any of your money in future.

I mean sooner or later they're going to need replacing, especially after 15 years. So it wouldn't be a foolhardy exercise to do so.

In terms of knocks, might be bushes. They're a few pence so again, while you're at it you might as well do it.

• Like 2

I agree with the above 👍