Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

fuel guage

mrrusty

well that was a close one!

empty tank and 0 miles left.

car had been in for a service, no problems reported and car is fine. low fuel light only came on at 18miles remaining, usually much higher.

so assumed had at least 30 miles left and was 12 to next garage, no worries i thought, but you do worry when it displays nothing in gauge!!

anyone else had this happen?

20170505_123036.jpg

20170505_123032.jpg

Toyota tends to be conservative as regards fuel range and low fuel warning lights. With the Aygo, when the low fuel light comes on, it Indicates you have approx 5.25 litres remaining.

• Like 1

Adding my two cents on the topic: The cruising range seems to be really depended on your driving style, especially the latest one(s). I have noticed that a correlation between the actual amount of fuel in the tank and the estimation of the screen is hard to achieve. Since I got the car I keep track of the distance covered by each one of the fuel tank blocks (as displayed in the small screen), and I can see significant differences for each one of them between different fill-ups, depending on the traffic, the route (e.g. uphill routes), my driving style (e.g. aggressive vs. easy going), sometimes the type of fuel etc.

I always (and I mean always!) keep the remaining fuel above the minimum so I only got the fuel warning light a couple of times (the first was when I got the car from the dealer. when it was as displayed in the image above - shame on them) and the 2nd was when I intentionally almost drained it as I wanted to check the amount of fuel for a full fill-up.

• Like 2

I totally agree with you, Vassilis and, like you, I have only heard the low fuel warning "beeper" on my Mark 1 Aygo once and that was when I deliberately drained it to find out just how much petrol it needed to fill up. When the beeper sounded I risked about 8 miles (About 12-13 kms) before I filled up and got just under 35 litres in the tank, so I was very close to empty.  I have never done this since and tend to use the "Tripmeter" as my fuel guage, filling up at between 250 and 300 miles and usually I have about 2 blocks left on the guage.

I agree that the blocks do not show an even use of fuel as when the tank is full I can go about 120-150 miles and it still registers full, after that the top block goes out and the second fuel block can disappear after another 60, 70 or 80 miles.

I do have the "Torque App" from Google Play on an old smartphone, connected to the OBD port by a bluetooth transmitter and on that (Once you get the app calibrated for weight, engine size and fuel tank capacity) the fuel used and distance until empty readouts are very accurate and you can rely on them more than the Aygo Fuel Guage.  If you have an old smartphone which runs off Android (Even old versions) you can download the free version or the Pro version (Which costs about £3.00) and have various displays without the need for a Sim Card in the phone.  I got it to have a Water Temperature Guage in the car but there are many guages to pick from and show, such as a revcounter, voltmeter. MPG display, clock, Digital speed readout and many more.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I thought it might be of interest to some people.

• Like 1

It is common for dealers to keep fuel levels to the minimum even when the car is due to be collected by the customer.

Fuel gauges in a few Toyota models (Auris, Aygo, IQ, etc) operate in a similar, non-linear fashion, and the following thread is a good example of how they operate -

Owners of the Mk 2 Aygo are spoilt now.

Us with the Mk 1's have to contend with a beeper and a flashing bar to indicate how close to empty we are. We don't get no fancy fuel warning lights! :laugh:

But with mine as soon as it started beeping I would get 40 miles out of it. 

I did an experiment with my new aygo since she shows how much range mileage she's got left before an empty tank. I let her get as low as 14 miles range left and the fuel gauge actually got to no black markings left, and when I drove her up to Asda petrol station I could actually start to smell petrol fumes and she just felt like she wasn't driving with full power. When she first puts her low fuel light on its about 20 miles left. I'm not doing that experiment again but it was quite interesting.

hadn't planned it, but things happen and you say i 'll do it tomorrow :smile:

like most of you i usually fill up before the low fuel warning.

don't plan on doing that experiment again :biggrin: not unless i am giving the car to Toyota

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links