Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the front shock absorbers universal for an E11 Corolla?

mickburkesnr

I'm putting together my shopping list for my Corolla, with the intent to get the major mechanical things sorted before I move on to the fun stuff of putting gangster glass in it and new Speakers etc.

The one thing I noticed when driving the car over in Ireland last year was how wallowy it was over the (many) bumps in the road when I was over there. The car dips when I brake, and the back end bounces like a toddler on a bouncy castle when going over a dip. So I thought I'd change the shock absorbers on all four corners for now while I save up for some coilovers in the future.

Thing is, I'm having a real nightmare sourcing shock absorbers for this thing. I've gone to ECP, they have some but they're quite expensive compared to the shocks that Micks Garage offer. However, Micks Garage have been next to useless in helping me purchase the correct shocks for the car. I was told if I have part numbers for them that are on the shock absorbers they can "cross reference" the shocks they stock and supply me with them - which led to an argument from me that if they have access to that information why can't they just stick them on the website in the first place. That's another story! It also means taking all four corners off, something which I don't want to do without having the replacements to put on them.

Anyway, going through eBay this morning (thanks to oldcodger, as he recommended it to someone else looking for shocks for their E12) I found that Toyota supply 3 shock absorbers for the car:

• Front Axle (4851180064)
  • Rear Axle Right (4853080004)
  • Rear Axle Left (4854019295)

There is no indication on that listing though (not that I could see) of a fitting position - hyperlinked above - which is the same problem plaguing my searchs on Micks Garage. Which makes me think is this shock absorber universal between the front left and front right? Very hard to tell!

If anyone could give me an idea I'd appreciate it.

Hmmm, thought it was the other way around, L and R for the fronts, both the same on the rears  .. though not sure for your older model

The prices on Toyotas eBay shop should be the same as your local Toyota dealer , so I would ring the dealer and get prices off them and ask if there is a L R difference. 

( find some parts on the eBay shop hard to identify which car they will fit, but if you use their enquiry link  and give the vin no etc of your car, they do get back after a day  or so,  with the exact part you need, its code and price, even if it does not show up on the site, seems they only put such parts on the site once someone actually buys one)

I'll do that when I get home as I don't have the car with me.

Thing is, and I know you can't always tell, but I'm wondering whether the Front Axle absorber I shared is universal, but it needs to fittings from the current absorber for it to work? It would make sense in a way.

Rightio, so last night I was perusing the internet, and came across a website called Online Car Parts. Had a look on there, and they list all the shock absorbers they sell for the car. But, unlike Micks Garage, they include the fitting information. And they were a little cheaper. Only thing is the site itself has had mixed reviews, mostly down to the fact it's not a UK site but a German one. So I won't be getting my bits in 2/3 days, more like 9/10 days.

But I'm in no rush, but it's all sorted now.

Did you order the packs of new bumps stops and rubber cover ?

Be interested to know how you find those KYG shockers when you get then fitted, and how good that company /parts/ dispatch etc is, they seem very low cost compare to the same part from most UK suppliers

Was thinking about replacing mine as I like a nice smooth ride, though they do not show any real problem /wear,  but as someone else suggested, new dampers might make the ride a lot firmer and not as comfortable...?

000272.jpg

Yes I splashed out on the Munroe protectors. Needed a new one anyway as last time I messed about jacking the front of the car the protector that was on it split.

So far since I ordered the parts, I've had the usual email saying thanks for registering and a reciept for what I've bought. That's about it. Not concerned, as the reviews I read about the place indicate they take their sweet time delivering items. Which suits me, as I don't need these things for a few weeks yet. But it can be unnerving when you've spent nearly £250 on parts and you don't know where they are.

I found them on Trustpilot (which is a site I have misgivings about anyway, but that's another story), and 40% of the reviews were positive, 40% were negative. From what I gathered, the negative reviews were more down to the fact they're based in Berlin and not the UK and that it took ages for parts to come. Everyone expected 2 day deliveries or something like that, and that never happened. I think one person said it took 9/10 days.

At the moment, if these parts come in 10 days, I'll be happy because a local motorfactors near me wanted nearly £80 per KYB shock absorber. Yeah I could go there and buy it there and then, but I'm on a budget and I don't mind waiting as I'm in no rush to get the car running.

I'll let you know how I get on with the new shocks, especially as I'll have them fitted before I head off around Ireland for 2 weeks in the car. I saw a review on the Subaru forums that the KYB's tend to be slightly softer or equivelent to OEM ride quality. So I think in any case the car will be firmer over bumps, but that's because we're both used to what the cars are currently. I'm fully expecting a firmer ride, I want a firmer ride, and these shocks will provide it without being too much of a boneshaker ride.

Also looking in to changing the suspension bushes too, seeing as I'm taking the shocks off. But I will hold fire on them until these parts turn up.

Expect some of the delay will be them ordering in the parts from their sub suppliers, rather than actually holding masses of stock....?

Not sure about dealing with other EU countries, do Paypal  / Credit cards still offer the same protection as you get with Uk firms ?

Replacing the bushes,did also think of that when considering new shocks, seems the simplest way on the front is to replace the complete front wishbone with its new rubber bushes and bottom ball joint, seems the wishbones can rust badly from inside.

Renewing the little drop links and the antiroll bar bushes can help stop lots of knocking sounds.

Some folk will say replace the rubbers with the poly bushes, but seems the do not give such a smooth ride, more for the TSport boys.

On the rear, the big trailing arm rubber bushes look a difficult one to replace.

Who knows. I would think though that given the prices they would have a stockpile bought cheap, rather than buy from another supplier.

I paid via Credit Cards and they do offer protection over £100. Interesting fact I learnt the other month, the £100 doesn't have to be on the Credit Card. The purchase needs to be over £100. So if you bought a TV for £200, you could pay £199 in cash or another means, but stick £1 on the credit card and the credit card company has to provide you the protection.

I did read that about the wishbones, I might do that if the prices are right. I was considering poly bushes as I wouldn't mind a firmer ride. But we'll see, especially if the trailing arm bushes are difficult to replace.

There is no knocking from the suspension I might add, it's just while I'm there I thought I'd do it.

Update on this website.

I got an email from someone called Autodoc.de (the owners of the Online Car Parts website). They want me to provide a photo of the card used (with only the 4 last digits showing, the rest covered) and ID of the purchaser and of the person taking delivery. 

Bit dodgy, but I think it's a good anti-fraud system. Plus the reviews I've seen haven't been negative about dodgy ID requests, but for wrongly sent parts and the delay in receiving them. I've passed them the details though, so lets see how we go.

2nd day waiting, 10 to go (probably)

Edit: Not 10 minutes after sending it, I get a thank you and another email with my receipt of payment.

NOW I can start timing them.

Hmmm, can see the relevance of those checks but think I would still fire off an email to your credit card company to see if they agree.

Would think most big suppliers will have access to credit / address checking facilities, partic if the delivery and invoice address are the same, was your different ?

Where I work we often get fraudulent sales. They will go through our system, and the credit card company OK's it. It's just from the nature of where the person's delivery address is (often Estonia) and the value of the goods being purchased alerts the guys in sales to it being fraud. So they then notify the credit card company, not the CC company themselves.

I think it'll be ok. But I used my credit card anyway so it should be OK. Besides, with the amount of hacks etc of Talk Talk etc I'm more than certain my personal details are already out on the internet unfortunately.

The parts, all of them, turned up at my door yesterday. So from ordering to delivery, it took 7 days. I don't think that's actually that bad. Plus the parts I ordered (so far) are the ones I requested. I had read other reviews saying they ordered Blue Print but got Aisin or something like that.

Going to update the Paddy Corolla post with the haul, as I've other bits and pieces to show off and a list of stuff to get done.

But yeah, I'll use onlinecarparts.co.uk again.

Sounds good.

Might be worth taking a lot of pics when you fit all those parts and add them to your post and / or sticky tutorials, sure they will help others.

• Like 1