Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm a wheel moron....

Darth IQ73

Hi all,

There is probably a simple answer to my question, but I'm no techie or very knowledgeable on wheel dynamics if I'm being honest.

A while back (few years now) I treated myself to some 17" Momo Quantum's for my IQ1.

I absolutely adore these wheels and will not change them. I think 18" may be just TOO big.....

My question is.... When I reverse, or turn at slow speed, normally at 45 degrees or more, there is a grinding noise when turning. What is this?

i get that it might be tyre or wheel connecting with the wheel arch or something, but what EXACTLY would the noise be?

The tyres are fine, no sign of wear or degrading, the brakes work fine, so what would be grinding against what ??

Thanks for any help. Once again, I won't be losing these wheels or changing them, I'm invested in these babies......I'd just like to know what the noise IS, and maybe if I can get rid of it ?!????

Cheers all

Matt

When you upgraded the wheels did you increase the width of the wheel as well? You can do this, but sometimes the wheel can fowl the suspension and other components in the wheel arch if the tyre is too wide. The remedy for this would be to use a boss on the wheels, increasing the track width (basically pushing the wheel away from the hub by 1cm or 2). However you need to make sure the wheels don't protrude too much from the wheel arch or this will be an MOT fail.

Thats my 2 cents. I got lucky the one time I upgraded any wheels as the wheels I went for fit perfectly on to my car, even with the increase in width.

• Like 1

If the tyres are wider but not touching the car still, it may just be the extra width causing them to scrub against the ground at high turning angles. The Mk1 Yaris does this even on stock tyres!

• Like 1

What size tyres are you using?

I run 17" Oz Racing wheels with 205/45 17 tyres. I can't remember now what offset the wheels are but I don't get any rubbing problems even on full lock.

The thing I do get though is the wheels jumping or skipping on the road at low speeds when turning tight. It's hard to describe and happens more in reverse but the design of the iQ steering allows the wheels to turn so tight they can't move together on the right path so either the inside or outside wheels has to change line in order to keep rotating. you hear it first as the wheels slide on the surface then you get a bump as they move back into line. 

It isn't anything to worry about and only happens on full lock so hopefully not too often and only at very slow speeds.

Craig.

Check your arch liners for signs of rubbing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links