Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking sound while backing up my Aygo

zuh

Hi!

I owned an Aygo 1 with the 1.0 petrol engine. When the car remained parked out for some hours and I started it, I could hear a loud clicking sound during the first minutes of drive. I noticed that this was even more loud when the weather was cold or wet. I was careful to let the engine heat up and the noise would soon disappear as I drove. This did not happen when it was hot or when the car started after being parked inside a parking.

My car apparently had no problem. I guess it had something to do with the oil temperature or the engine/gearbox being too cold. The car was serviced in a Toyota dealership so hopefully, they used the right oil. In an Aygo, such mechanical feelings may be increased by the overall light sound insulation.

Now I have the latest Aygo, still with the 1.0 engine. It is brand new.

And when the car is cold and I back up, there is a very loud clicking sound like "tic-tic-tic-tic"!!!! You can clearly hear it. I suppose there is no problem with the clutch and gearbox as they are new. Again, once the car is hot, I no longer have it.

Do you have the same thing on your Aygo?

What do you think it comes from? Insufficient acceleration, cold engine, hydraulic tappets if any......

Thank you for reading, have a good day!
Nicolas

6 hours ago, zuh said:

In an Aygo, such mechanical feelings may be increased by the overall light sound insulation.

Think you've pretty much summed it up in that sentence right there. The Aygo makes all sorts of noises, which are more noticeable due to the lack of sound insulating material. The A/C compressor engagement is one of the noisiest I've heard in any car I've owned.

It's a great little car, but obviously Toyota/PSA have had to make compromises somewhere, to offer it for such a competitive price.

My girlfriend dropped me off at the train station once in my 107, and I was a good 200 yards away from the car and I heard her lock the doors.

The one annoyance I have is on accelerating I hear a rattle/buzz from the engine. Thought it was the cat but that's been changed and still there. It's always been there. I like to think it's the cars way of telling me "Jesus lad slow down I only want to do 20mph in this 40mph zone".

I, of course, ignore it.

2 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

My girlfriend dropped me off at the train station once in my 107, and I was a good 200 yards away from the car and I heard her lock the doors.

Ha ha, yes, it's mega loud. One thing I've done lately, which has made a massive improvement to road noise, is change the original Continentals to Goodyear Vector 4seasons.

I can't believe how much difference they make, not only to road noise, but to grip and handling too. I was never keen on the Continentals, and thought they were ghastly when the roads got wet.

For the last few years I've ran Toyo tyres. Not so fussed with road noise as long as the radio drowns it out, would rather go around a corner loudly in the wet than aquaplane quietly lol

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

For the last few years I've ran Toyo tyres. Not so fussed with road noise as long as the radio drowns it out, would rather go around a corner loudly in the wet than aquaplane quietly lol

Exactly, road handling is a priority and lower road noise is just a bonus. I just don't think the Eco Contacts are a good choice for the Aygo. They've never inspired 100% confidence in wet weather and I found they were a tiny bit squirmy in cross winds. Even the missus' Aygo was the same, with an earlier generation of Eco Contacts.

My work carpark is a nightmare if it ever snows, so I'm hoping the Vectors will allow me to keep the shovel in the boot. It's a packaway shovel, would never fit a full size one in there :biggrin:

• Like 1

I used to work in Cannock, and there's this huge island there on the way out of the doss hole town to the M6. And I had the car when it was still on Conti's and it was throwing water down from the sky. I go round this roundabout side ways, the rear of the car stepped out and I drifted it. Fun, but I was thinking these are Conti tyres which are meant to be good in the wet. It happened twice after that.

Anyway, read a review on Toyo's, thought I'd risk it as they weren't cheap cheap but cheaper than the Conti's by about £25 a tyre. Stuck two on, then it rained 2 months after on the same roundabout again, I could not put that car sideways again. Tried, failed, but it was enough to tell me the Toyo's were the ones to go with for me.

So yeah, 5 years on and it still has Toyo's all round. 

Hi,

Thank you for your answers! Yes, you are right, the car transmits many mechanical feelings through the senses (vibrations...). Sounds are just one part of them:
- venting when it is on
- the radiator fan when it goes on
- the brakes or the clutch/flywheel when used
- the fuel shaking inside the tank
- winter tires (much more noisy)

But this is not a reproach, I like light cars, when you can feel the car, the road, etc.

5 hours ago, zuh said:

Thank you for your answers! Yes, you are right, the car transmits many mechanical feelings through the senses (vibrations...). Sounds are just one part of them:

clutch/flywheel when used

What noise do you hear when you use the clutch?

On 14/05/2017 at 5:26 PM, fordulike said:

What noise do you hear when you use the clutch?

Nothing to worry about. It is not the clutch problem that affects early versions, if it is what you had in mind ;)

I have no radio. And so, I can hear every single mechanical sound coming from the car: when parts move, touch each other... I hear the clutch. I hear the brakes when they get into friction. Etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links