Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many I'm out of front tyres

Joregan75

Hi All

Just a quick question for all , I have a 2009 Avensis overmount d4d , front tyres going bald after 21000km , is that good or bad, what should be a good range for avensis tyres ?? 

I have using Aeolus Precision Ace 215/55/r17 , anybody else use them? Or can anybody recommend a good mid budget tyre ??

Thanks all

1494577257322783464667.jpg

14945773424701956840692.jpg

Just over 13,000 miles. 

13000 miles does seem a bit premature, but I'm not familiar with your particular tyre - maybe it's a 'soft & grippy but quick wearing' type?

My most recent (1.8 petrol) T27 Avensis was fitted with Goodyear Excellence 215/5517 tyres (with plenty tread) when I bought it with 16k miles.  The fronts were nearing the wear indicators approx 20k miles later.  I don't know if they were the originals or not, so they either covered the 20k miles I put on them, or the full 36k from new.

Bear in mind mine was the petrol so the engine would be lighter than yours, and mine also had an easy life with not a lot of quick-off-the-line starts, hard acceleration or hard cornering etc.

• Like 1

Hi Frosty

Is that your mileage, same as mine . And is yours a d4d ?

Cheers 

J

Hi Alan 

Ya I travel a lot of very twisty roads , and the d4d engine is a bit of a weight , I reckon between engine weight , bends and my driving style , I could be averaging around the same as you .

Quite normal, mayby to the low side. The weight of the diesel and the torque power wear faster than petrol models

• Like 1

I would say the tracking may need checking, looking at the tyre.

• Like 2

Hi all 

Actually gonna put a budget tyre for €65 on it , sick of paying €120 plus per tyre , to end up getting the same mileage for the sake of a big brand name.  

My new transit van has 25k on it weights 3 ton lights  up the front tyres at the hint of a damp patch its driven hard most days and the fronts are just over half worn . It's got michelins fitted 225 tyres I'm sure it's got hard as toffee ya nan use to make written on them lol . My avensis has done 24k on dunlops with about 4 mm left . I'm debating wether to fit premium tyres or buget next . It's the wet wether braking that counts for me not how it handles on a red hot track day . 

8 hours ago, Joregan75 said:

Hi all 

Actually gonna put a budget tyre for €65 on it , sick of paying €120 plus per tyre , to end up getting the same mileage for the sake of a big brand name.  

Wrong way of looking at it.

Those tyres are the only thing that's going to stop you when you need to stop. Cheap no name tyres aren't as grippy but do last longer. Grippier tyres don't last as long.

Up to you, but brakes and tyres aren't places to skimp on quality for the sake of a few euro.

• Like 1

The other issue is road nose. I've found budget tyres noisy as he'll on motorways, now I only use Michelin even thigh they are much pricier, and even though the Avensis is a tub they do handle much better with decent tyres!

Decent tyres transform how a car is to live with and more importantly, are consistently better in the wet. I'd rather spend out a bit more on tyres and be able to stop in the wet, rather than crash into the guy in front of me!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

3 weeks with my 2007 T25 T4 Hatch on 215/50/17s and she's a tub alright!

Between 1995 and 2008 owned & drove AWD Scoobies, the last being a MY2003 STi Type UK Saloon. I know the value of good tyres and brakes and they're the only things I don't mess with. Where tyres are concerned, I go for A-rated for wet roads and usually B-rated for fuel economy, then I look at price. The Avensis was fitted with 2 x Khumos and 2 non-descript Nankangs when I bought her. I held back 4 16 inch wheels from the sale of the Fabia VRs and I've fitted these with Bridgestone 205/55/16s for winter. All the brake-discs and pads were replaced when I bought the Avensis and 1 brake-caliper was replaced. That lot should see me safely through the winter and my first test on 1/3/2018.

A tub for sure but she stops in a straight line and the ABS, new brake and tyre combination make her predictable in the wet - no ice or snow tests yet but I'm looking forward to seeing Mr BMW waggling his fat RWD ***** down the road in the white stuff!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mathepac said:

A tub for sure but she stops in a straight line and the ABS, new brake and tyre combination make her predictable in the wet - no ice or snow tests yet but I'm looking forward to seeing Mr BMW waggling his fat RWD ***** down the road in the white stuff!

Come on now lad, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! ;)

• Haha 1

I owned a 2005 Avensis 1.8vvti hatch during the dreadful snowy/icy winter of 2010 up here in Scotland.  It drove great in snow, even tho it had el-cheapo nasty front tyres on it.  

Would the tyres also affect how many revs you need to get up a kerb whether in first or in reverse, seems to require a few extra revs to get into the driveway?