Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does CVT have build in protection?

nielshm

Weather it's hybrid or regular CVT, do they have build in safety features, so they won't break, if some one pulls the gear shifter? My wife very rarely drives my car with normal CVT, but she often rests her hand on the gear stick, almost as she's about to change gears. What would happening, if anything? Is the gear stick locked in place when the car moves or what?

Another dumb question, when changing into reverse, does it change the rotating direction of the CVT belt, or is the reverse direction changed in other parts of the gearbox? 

i would ask your toyota dealer about this one i certainly wouldnt put it to the test and try reverse whilst moving forward.

the gear shifter isn't locked as you can freely move it to B whilst driving,i'm  sure if you

held it in the N position for a few seconds it would go into neutral.

1 hour ago, nielshm said:

Weather it's hybrid or regular CVT, do they have build in safety features, so they won't break, if some one pulls the gear shifter? My wife very rarely drives my car with normal CVT, but she often rests her hand on the gear stick, almost as she's about to change gears. What would happening, if anything? Is the gear stick locked in place when the car moves or what?

Another dumb question, when changing into reverse, does it change the rotating direction of the CVT belt, or is the reverse direction changed in other parts of the gearbox? 

I have heard and read that resting hand on the gear lever/shifter, can cause wear to the internal components. Also for proper control in the case of an emergency, both hands should be on the steering wheel. 

• Like 1

When I got the car at first, there was the odd moment that my hand moved, but the Prius style selector. moves like a game controller and you can't only select N or B without putting your foot on the brake. I have read on here, if you were to press P it will go into N instead.

I think on the hybrid at least, it won't actually select the mode if it detects vehicle motion.

If you put the hybrid in reverse, apart from maybe being very uncomfortable (if it did anything at all) you can't break anything.

On a conventional CVT, it engages a reversing gear, so this gets more interesting.

Saw a movie on youtube where someone in USA tried it out on his ford automatic.  No cvt.

Nothing happened due to electronic protection.

I am sure toyota managed to implement the same form of protection but I am not going to try it out.

Every command on the hybrid is 'fly by wire' and computer checked. Just try using the throttle in an aggressive way when your car is not moving but warming up. You will get a beep and the warning that your car is not in gear.

• 2 months later...

The normal CVT has'nt got protection against fools. Today I managed to push the gearstick into N instead of M +/-, I was on the motorway, downhill at 70 mph. Now what to do? I did'nt push it back into D, but stopped completely in the enmergency lane, before putting it back to D. Propably the right thing to do, every seems to work as normal. But I do wonder what would happen, if I by mistake pulled into D while driving at high speed. 

On 7/30/2017 at 7:18 PM, nielshm said:

The normal CVT has'nt got protection against fools. Today I managed to push the gearstick into N instead of M +/-, I was on the motorway, downhill at 70 mph. Now what to do? I did'nt push it back into D, but stopped completely in the enmergency lane, before putting it back to D. Propably the right thing to do, every seems to work as normal. But I do wonder what would happen, if I by mistake pulled into D while driving at high speed. 

Good question... I wouldn't try it as it's a one-way trip for the engine if it tries 1st gear...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links