Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lights on - VSC. ABS. TRC OFF

Charn

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2006 Avensis, T3-X, a few days ago the VSC, ABS and TRC OFF lights have come on.

I was trying to check the ABS fuse but I cant locate it, then I was thinking off buying a OBD2 code reader to see what it could be, I have been advised that it could be dirt in the ABS sensors.

Any thoughts on a DIY solution please?

Thanks

Charn

What engine? If diesel then the EGR will need cleaning. All engines, check your rear stop lights. A blown bulb can trigger this.

If none of the above, then a diagnostic will be needed. 

• Like 2

Hi thanks for your reply, it's a petrol 1.8

Look at this post -

Hi, when I get these warning lights its usually a blown brake light bulb as others have mentioned, however once it turned out to be a faulty Yaw Rate sensor which needed to be replace, the part cost £220 from Mr T and it is located under the trim between the two front seats - my OBD scanner did not identify this fault, it was only diagnosed at the garage

If it is this part I'd try and source from a breakers first as its silly money!

• Like 1

Hi I have just checked when I jack the car up the tyres (both front ones checked) spin freely does this indicate the abs sensor or something else.....any thoughts welcome please 

You  need to get codes from the ABS/TRC/VSC ECUs to find out what is happening. You will need get someone with a diagnostic scanner that reads ABS/TRC/VSC, not just engine management. There was a way of using the paper clip trick - using a piece of wire to link terminals 4 and 13 of the OBD port, and reading the two number from the ABS lights. I don't know if it will still work on later Toyota cars.

Image result for Toyota self diagnostic wire link obd socket

Looking at the socket use a piece of wire to link pins 4 and 13, then turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. The ABS light should flash in a Morse code style, if supported. The following link as the index to the two number codes on the third page.

http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2 spyder/References/Technical Training/05 - Brake Systems/20.pdf

To deleted the stored ABS codes, the brake pedal has to be pressed 8 or more times within 3 seconds. The only time this will not work is if the ABS ECU has totally failed! I had this happen to me a few years back, and I manage to replace it with one from a scrapped car (Another story).

See how you get on. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 5:22 PM, dransfield said:

Hi, when I get these warning lights its usually a blown brake light bulb as others have mentioned, however once it turned out to be a faulty Yaw Rate sensor which needed to be replace, the part cost £220 from Mr T and it is located under the trim between the two front seats - my OBD scanner did not identify this fault, it was only diagnosed at the garage

If it is this part I'd try and source from a breakers first as its silly money!

I had a problem like that while on holiday, by the time I on route back home, the fault had cleared.

• Like 1