Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Range

Wayne87

What does this actually mean on the trip computer?

Says I only have 15 miles cruise range left when I've got just under quarter of a tank.

As far as I'm aware the cruise range doesn't include the reserve, and is based on your previous usage. If one fills up with less than 15 litres, the range can also show false readings

Depends on previous mpg as to how much is left in the tank when the range reaches 0.  

I usually get about 9L of petrol into car when the range turns to 0 so about 90 miles left to go when range is 0.  Not that reliable but a useful guide!

On 2017-5-13 at 11:27 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the cruise range doesn't include the reserve, and is based on your previous usage. If one fills up with less than 15 litres, the range can also show false readings

Found that it does include the reserve when the tank is full, but as the fuel is used the reserve is gradually deducted from the cruise range; i.e., the fuel consumption figures are non-linear, and you'll get a higher reading of "mpg" with a full tank than with a partially-filled one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cuius - You are right I can confirm this every car range computer is working the same way, is working little like "instantaneous measurement" ( if you quickly accelerate and you driving faster your range drops and if you slow down after while range should increase ), is simply depends from your current driving style

Your range will drop while you are waiting at traffic lights, slowly of course, so it is possible that your estimated range will drop a lot if you do a lot of waiting at the lights. Start and stop feature  will reduce that.

You can also see the range freeze or reduce more slowly, when your driving is more economical.

It's the same way you can observe the fuel gauge rise and fall with demand. If you do hard acceleration, the fuel gauge falls; if you drive really economically, then it rises.

I have generally found that by the time the tank is nearly at the reserve/the fuel light is about to come on, the range is close to zero. It hits zero around the same time as the fuel light coming on. I reset trip B at that point, and allow myself to drive up to another 40 miles, to be sure I don't run out of fuel.

The fuel light at least, appears to be quite consistent. I've found it is hard not to panic though when the fuel gauge drops below R before my estimated remaining distance is covered!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links