Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Up Display (HUD)

martin68

Hi guys, as many of you know, i'm a very proud owner of an Auris Hybrid Sports Excel, (I never thought id'e ever be able to afford one!)

Ive had the car for 2 weeks and LOVE driving it, this weekend I installed a satnav box and it works perfectly.

I'm always thinking about what else I could add to the gadgets to improve the overall function and styling of my Auris, and I came to realize that a head up display (HUD) would be a perfect add on as it's often more informative to see your Mph in digital form. On my Peugeot I had a digital Mph readout as well as the analog needle, and this is one thing i miss on my Auris.

So I was looking on eBay and found several HUD units, some work off GPS, others plug into the service connector on the car.

Can anyone please suggest a good unit which will work in the Auris if plugged into the service connector? if not, I may go down the GPS type route. 

I use an ultragauge device which can give you a lot of information on your car. I have stopped looking at the needle to read my speedometer... I only trust on the ultragauge for this information. The ultragauge is connected to the obd diagnostics thing under the steering wheel.

I programmed it to show me at all times : revs, engine coolant temp, speed, instantaneouso consumption. 

First three : the car doesnt show it but i want to know. For the last one : always need to show 4, 6 or 8 things,... I chose this one to keep the display avaluable for other information.

I  know its not a head up display but it gives more useful information.

A good thing for speed from the ultragauge as well as head up display would be to see the exact speed. Taken from obd or from gps, both would be a lot more exact than the car's speedometer. For example : my car shows me 111 km per hour on the clock when I am really doing 98. This is a normal product characteristic in our market.I don't know about UK. 

Sorry that I can't really recommend any display like you wanted. Saw them online at sites like alibaba, all made in China, but haven't tried any yet. I would just go for the most fancy one. I think I saw them on eBay too. That would be easier for ordering.

• Like 1

If you have a Smartphone that runs off Android, you could download the "Torque" app from the Google Play Store.  There is a free version (Torque Lite) that you could try but for about £3.00 you can get the full (Torque Pro) version, which is what I have in my Aygo.

I use an old Samsung phone that has no sim card so it runs as a sort of mini tablet (running a very old version of Android) that was stuck in a drawer and use that as a dedicated "guage" in the car to show Coolant Temperature and a digital speed readout on the same screen and I find that it is brilliant.  You can also get many other guages such as a revcounter, fuel, distance until empty, voltmeter and also on the Pro version is the ability to reverse the display to project a Heads up display onto the Windscreen or one of those little HUD phone mounts that you can find on Amazon or eBay.

You will need a bluetooth OBD2 transmitter to plug into the OBD port, under the steering wheel but that can be found at the above places for £5-£10.  It's a system that I use all the time on my Aygo and it also gives a very accurate and easy to read display and for £3.00 odd plus a transmitter is much cheaper than the HUD screens that you have been looking at.

Honestly, it's worth a go and if I didn't like it, I wouldn't recommend it and it works with the GPS on or off as the info comes from the OBD port.

All the best!:smile:

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, eygo said:

Hi Eygo

That looks interesting.   Is it capable of showing mph etc - all the british readings.

yes it can

Untitled.png

Just ordered one off eBay - £19.99,, you can get other displays that give more info, anything up to about £38.

I liked the simplicity of this unit - mostly I want the MPH being displayed digitally, and would be nice to see what the rpm is in the Hybrid.

ive orderd one off eBay too, I chose a simple gps version, that way i'll know the Mph is smack on, as I read that some give false readings when compared to the speedo needle.

I only want it for mph, as i find all the other clutter looks tacky on some after market HUD units.

When it arrives, I plan to wire it in permanantly with an on/off switch in the blanking spot to the left of the steering wheel.

martin68

if your going to wire it in permanently why dont you take your feed from an ignition controlled

source,this will save you drilling holes and a quicker installation and if you sell the car can easily

remove it leaving no damage.

10 hours ago, martin68 said:

ive orderd one off ebay too, I chose a simple gps version, that way i'll know the Mph is smack on, as I read that some give false readings when compared to the needle

I am afraid the gps version will deviate from the needle speed too as the needle itself deviates a lot from the real speed. It's a common complaint from auris drivers and can be seen as normal for this car.

I think you will find that speedo readings in most/all cars are ahead of the real speed. Manufacturers do this on purpose. Can you imagine someone going along at an indicated 50mph, in a 50mph area, and they get done for doing 55mph? Manufacturers would be in court every other day.. So they set the speedos to read more then the actual speed so they always on the safe side.  Using GPS signal will give a very accurate reading. When I am using my TomTom I can have 32mph showing on my speedo but only 30mph on the TomTom - TomTom is the more accurate one - due to GPS

What you say is true. All speedos lie a bit. The Auris European make with left steering wheel seems to do more than its fair part. For example : 111 km per hour is 98 in reality. I am not alone with that complaint in my area. The deviation is simply too much and more than on most cars.

Will help to get great mpg though.

I am just looking at the ultra gauge for my speed.. The reading on obd is nearly perfect and so is the one on gps navigation system.

I have the almost the same unit but it never works when the hybrid system kicks in/ or in EV mode. It doesnt show you the speed. Or maybe mine is an old version. But works fine on petrol/ diesel engine

I think you need to change settings, if possible. Seems to work dependent on engine on/off which is not good for your use in a hybrid car. I read something before about scangauge / ultragauge that had the same problem. Change settings to hybrid is the solution there but maybe yours hasn't got that possibility... setting the update speed to slow or fast could solve the problem.

How is it wired ? Just connected to obd ?

What unit have you got ? Ultragauge ? Search settings for hybrid function.

Example from faq scangauge  :

""Set the fuel type parameter to HYBRID in the Basic Setup Parameters, ScanGauge will automatically set the Sleep Event parameter to COM.""

Well, I got my HUD unit earlier this week, but not had time until today to offer it up.  Really wished the manual was in proper English instead of some loose interpretation, would be easier to understand. I done a few teaks like mph, centigrade, found the hybrid setting. Tonight I am going out so will be able to turn it on proper for the first time, may not work proper, may need a tweak, or then again it could be just right, time will tell.

I would love a Hud too but i would have to find an adapter first to connect 2 devices to the obd...  but I don't think it works like USB in that way.

Good you already found the hybrid setting, cat lover.  Good there was one on it.

Whoooho, mighty pleased with the HUD.  Went out in daylight and it was difficult to read, needs positioning correctly and I wasn't using the film that you fit on the inside of windscreen to project display on. It was all a bit wobbly because I still to find a good place. Coming home at 9:30 the display was nice and clear on the windscreen. This display is one of the more basic ones, displays mph, revs and bars for Battery condition and water temperature.

Everything was working! Amazed me, thought I would have problems being in a Hybrid. Really good being able to see speed digitally. When doing 40 digitally on the screen the speedo was reading 42, which is 5% high, about right. The 40 will be what I was really doing, I will test it against my TomTom soon. The rev counter only displays when the petrol engine is running, and goes to zero when Battery takes over, so that working well. The display auto starts when I turn the car on, and auto shuts off when I lock up.

Still got to find the best place for "fixing" it down, lies on a sticky pad (provided). The cable provided is a flat cable but scratching my head as to how best to run it. Problem with a 2010 Auris is the top of the dashboard is not flat, you get the two humps for the dial cowls, then towards the windscreen goes up, ending with a flat piece close to the windscreen. Difficult one.  But yes, please it working well, for just £20 !

• Like 1

you can also use the app :biggrin:, for iPhone I have "Speedometer" (for free), I have check against Sat Nav and is pretty accurate (is using GPS as well as SN)

• 1 month later...

Please post some pictures.

1 hour ago, muurman said:

Please post some pictures.

What of ???

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

What of ???

of the image that is projected onto the windscreen i think.

yes by daylight and also how it looks on the dash

OK, I didnt know whether you meant the app on the smartphone someone said they using. 

There is a photo on another thread, but I will take another one, hopefully a bit better.

Here is a photo taken the other day.  It is said a camera never lies.....maybe so, but it also doesnt always tell the truth. The screen display is usually brighter then what the photo shows. Obviously get the sun coming onto the windscreen and it sort of takes a lot away from the display. The HUD I bought does have a sensor, similar to a TomTom, that dims at

night, so the display is not distractingly bright.You can see the speedo is at rest, you can see the two vertical bars, one for Battery condition, one for water temperature, and just above them the rev counter is at rest. The HUD unit needs to be close to the windscreen or the display is to high up and I find distracting. Hope you like.P1010666.JPG.896d8d10e78830563c73498c5246dfd1.JPG 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links