Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help !

Niall G

Not sure to be honest. I know that peak torque is around 4,400/4,500 so it makes sense to get it to that RPM.

On 13/07/2017 at 11:58 AM, Plob said:

The Aygo's VVTi isn't it?

You need to get the revs high for the ECU to know you want performance over economy, it then starts playing with the valves and timing differently...

Theres lots of good opinions on this thread but the above is not strictly true. The VVTi's primary objective is to provide more low down torque, not increase top end torque. The basic inlet cam profile on the Aygo is not radical by any means, but the VVTi does allow it to be even more conservative at low revs which ups the torque. Without it, the Aygo would feel even flatter up to 3k than it does already. It's very limited though, and simply alters the cam timing dependant on rpm. Honda's are a bit different -  the VTEC's (S2000 for example) run a very different system and use two completely different cam profiles to provide both low and high end torque. The VTEC system is also hugely more complicated and comprehensive than the Aygo as well though, not to mention it operates on both inlet and exhaust cams and also alters valve lift in addition to duration. As you have probably guessed, VVTi is archaic in comparison.

With regards to upping power on the 1KR-FE by any meaningful amount, the only real option is forced induction. I have looked at all available options (even normally aspirated) and unless you are going to spend 3k+ on a turbo/supercharger kit I wouldn't bother. I have fitted a back box but this was purely for looks/sound and have deliberately stayed away from a 'performance' air filter because I know it won't give me an increase in anything other than underbonnet noise, which won't be a 'nice' noise anyway unlike the above VTEC screaming away at 9k rpm.

I'm afraid our little cars 'are what they are' unfortunately. Truth be told, the best bang per buck I can think of would be to transplant the 3 cylinder Fiesta ST 1.6 turbo lump and map that, which would give 215 ponies with impeccable reliabilty. Job done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

I'm afraid our little cars 'are what they are' unfortunately.

Maybe that's why every single "special edition" Aygo only provides different color combinations, visual improvements and different wheels. :-)

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

the VTEC's (S2000 for example) run a very different system and use two completely different cam profiles to provide both low and high end torque. The VTEC system is also hugely more complicated and comprehensive than the Aygo as well though, not to mention it operates on both inlet and exhaust cams and also alters valve lift in addition to duration.

I didn't think much of the VTEC system until Edd China had an S2000 in with a problem with the engine. The way it works, even after reading about it, blows my mind.

Annoys me now though that I didn't take full advantage of the VTEC my old CR-V had. Oh well!

45 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

Annoys me now though that I didn't take full advantage of the VTEC my old CR-V had. Oh well!

You mean rev the b******s off it lol.

1 hour ago, fordulike said:

You mean rev the b******s off it lol.

Well, yeah lol.

Great machine actually, should never have got rid of it. But oh well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links