Do Not Sell My Personal Information

timing belt

idan 1

hello i have avensis 2005 diesel d4d 1cdftv and th timebelt broke what is the damis can i but new belt in ore are the valves bent

Probably are bent as I don't think these engines are non interference.looks like a new engine needed .

Ain't it 60000 miles for timing belt change on these engines. My Rav,s belt is coming up on that mileage soon.

14 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Probably are bent as I don't think these engines are non interference.looks like a new engine needed .

The D4D engine is an interference engine. I think a compression test and observing the valves (turning by hand with cam cover off), after fitting new belt,  will confirm the damage. Then it is head off. 

6 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

Ain't it 60000 miles for timing belt change on these engines. My Rav,s belt is coming up on that mileage soon.

Yes, 60000 miles or 6 years according to My Timing Belt - http://www.mytimingbelt.com/Results.aspx?ModelId=399

I think the water pump is driven by the timing belt, so should be changed. It is best to have timing belt kit.

• Like 2

Yip I meant to write they are interference engine's my apologies 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Yip I meant to write they are interference engine's my apologies 

You said it correct first time Frank. Just confirming. 

A lot of people are not aware of timing belts and some even think a garage wants their money. It's only when it breaks and the engine needs a rebuild, that some owners become aware. I have seen quite a few cars given up, due cambelt breakage.

Every car I owned that had a timing belt, had them change - either by me or my mechanic. Also they were all non-interference. 

For the OP, it will the balance of cost to repair the car or buy another.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to give up reading lol.

Yes I always get mine done at least  10k miles before its due..I had a vauxhall vectra and they recommend 100k mile belt change the guys on the forum said at least 50-60k. For peace of mind I would get it done.I'm on my 2nd (technically 3rd) got 1st done at 52k and recently at 90k.and both done with water pump.

12 hours ago, frankie406 said:

I had a vauxhall vectra and they recommend 100k mile belt change

I'm getting rid of my Peugeot 3008, and they said it doesn't need changing until 150,000 miles. Not that I care, hateful car glad to be rid of it.

• Like 3

Think they had a typo in their user manual think they meant 15000 miles lol

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 10:55 PM, frankie406 said:

I'm going to have to give up reading lol.

Yes I always get mine done at least  10k miles before its due..I had a vauxhall vectra and they recommend 100k mile belt change the guys on the forum said at least 50-60k. For peace of mind I would get it done.I'm on my 2nd (technically 3rd) got 1st done at 52k and recently at 90k.and both done with water pump.

I'm on my 6th belt now, for a 54 plate d4d cd-ftv . The recommended replace mileage is 60k, every belt that I have examine looked to be in excellent condition. I'm not sure what safety tolerance is built into the 60k figure, so i'll keep replacng when they are due.

• Like 1

Yeah owdjockey the guy who does mine always said the belts are in brilliant condition and thinks Toyota 1cd-ftv engine could go 100k and beyond for belt change.