Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Energy usage/Wh explanation

Jamie O

HI Folks,

First time post from me. Looking for some insight

I recently bought a Auris Hybrid Luna 1.8l.

I had a 2.0D4D Avensis Diesel and was getting sick of the expensive repair costs so decided to go for something more green and cheaper to run.

First thing I noticed is that instead of €25 per week on diesel we are now spending €20 per week on petrol so that's a good saving. There is a difference in petrol / diesel cost of approx 7.5%. So My €5 saving per week is a 20% saving.

Anyway.......what I would really like to know is how can I translate the screen on my energy monitor into € savings.

If I have 30Wh, or whatever the number is on those bar graphs, how can I translate that into litres of fuel saved and then euros saved.

I realise there are some variables that  will make the numbers not precise but surely Toyota can advise that for this size car regenerating x amount of Wh is approx equivalent to x litres of fuel saved.

Any takers on a calculation.

I think one of the important numbers would be what does 1 litre of fuel equate to in Wh (approx) for this car.

One could have a look at the standard calculation the US Environment Protection Agency use for electric and plug-in hybrids and make adjustments accordingly (remember they use US gallons).

• Like 1

3.785 litres to a usa gallon

I hope you won't be disappointed, but the 30Wh unit that Toyota use's on the displays is a very small amount. To help you put things into perspective with my 2010 Auris has roughly 830Wh of energy maximum and that is equivalent to 200ml of petrol. So the 30Wh is a drop in the ocean. Using something like the hybrid assistant and reporter apps on a android device, you can see what proportion of your journey has been made on electric only, fuel used and economy for each minute. 

It's more interesting to find out how far the Battery will move you before the Battery is empty and needs charging. Considering Toyota only let you use 40% of the Battery capacity, I am amazed by how far the battery will take you when you use it economically. 

For example my best is 5 miles or 8Km, with the ICE only use to get unto speed from the traffic lights.

On 16/05/2017 at 11:59 AM, Jamie O said:

HI Folks,

First time post from me. Looking for some insight

I recently bought a Auris Hybrid Luna 1.8l.

I had a 2.0D4D Avensis Diesel and was getting sick of the expensive repair costs so decided to go for something more green and cheaper to run.

First thing I noticed is that instead of €25 per week on diesel we are now spending €20 per week on petrol so that's a good saving. There is a difference in petrol / diesel cost of approx 7.5%. So My €5 saving per week is a 20% saving.

Anyway.......what I would really like to know is how can I translate the screen on my energy monitor into € savings.

If I have 30Wh, or whatever the number is on those bar graphs, how can I translate that into litres of fuel saved and then euros saved.

I realise there are some variables that  will make the numbers not precise but surely Toyota can advise that for this size car regenerating x amount of Wh is approx equivalent to x litres of fuel saved.

Any takers on a calculation.

I think one of the important numbers would be what does 1 litre of fuel equate to in Wh (approx) for this car.

After looking it up, 1 litre of petrol is the equivalent to 9.7Kwh.

So each ml is 9.7Wh, so the 30Wh is roughly 3ml worth of petrol

• Like 1