Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

not starting:(

kank

98 avensis wont start on the key but starts with a bump,then starts on the key after running for 5 minutes??

any ideas ??

Hi Kurt, a big welcome to the club. think the first thing I would look at would be the Battery connections i.e. are they clean and tightly connected on each end of the two cables. If they are OK then would wonder about the state of the Battery it's self. How old is it? Do you have a volt meter to connect to the terminals on the Battery? A cold engine demands more from it than a warm one mainly due to the oil being more fluid when warm and after a few minutes running the battery will have been given a boost power wise that may compensate for a failing cell that may mean that you are only getting 10 volts to the starter instead of 12 at first. Most decent battery shops will test your one with a meter that puts a load on under test that is the same as operating the starter which safely checks said battery

Hope this helps a little and you have not done this

Del

• Like 1

Hi Kurt,

Agree with Crofter that the Battery should be your first port of call if you haven't already got to it.

If the Battery is healthy and connections tight maybe consider the ignition switch. Given the age of the car it is a possibility. The switch doesn't give much warning before it packs up (mine didn't) but does give a little warning appearing as an intermittent fault  such as turning and holding the key in the start position and there being a delay before the starter motor turns. Mine did that a few times and then nothing. Turn the key. Dashboard warning lights illuminate. No click from starter motor. Nothing, as if an immobiliser has engaged. The car can be bump started or if you are brave short the starter motor with a screwdriver. I wasn't brave and bump started mine until I changed the switch. Not very good for the Catalytic convertor though.   

Best of luck

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links