Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CLUTCH JUDDER-Concerning

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi all, i have a concerning issue sadly, i previously put up a posting in regards to it on this site but cannot seem to find it in order to revive it.

Okay, so we own a manual T27 2010 diesel with approx 68000 miles on her, purchased a year ago private and purchased an extended warranty from our local Toyota dealer who highly recommended that we did, had our first service via them not so long ago to keep in line with the warranty.

Moving on, our issue is that after a long journey say 150-200 miles, coming off a motorway for example, we all of a sudden experience a terrible judder from the clutch when pulling off, its pretty violent and worrying, we over come it by fighting to balance the clutch with higher revs, otherwise normal town driving seems to be okay, the issue arises after a longish run.

Finally made an effort to book it in at the dealers today, vehicle tested, no issues experienced by them and difficult to replicate by them but they seem pretty certain its a part that exists between the clutch and the fly wheel thats failing, i have no idea what this part is called, claim presented to the warranty people by my dealer, they requested photo evidence, the dialema is if my dealer strip the entire gearbox down, and the warranty people deny an issue with the part, or put it down to wear and tear, it means us having to pay our dealer for their time and a new clutch kit plus fly wheel if that has an issue, total bill 1500-2000 potentially. Its a gamble really, do we say yes, let them strip it down and see if the warranty people agree to it, or live with the issue till we get rid???

We are so confused, what was the point of taking out the extended warranty if such a fault will cost us more. A friend at the dealers recommended that we contact Toyota customer services ourselves to argue out the matter, but shouldnt it be the warranty people that we need to speak to, i have no idea what the part in question is, and its all so distressing for us, last thing we need is a big bill, or should we get a new clutch kit installed privately for much less in cost.

Any input is most appreciated guys PLEASE, i hope all this makes some sense when reading.

sammy

Hi Sam again. Is the follow the post you were trying to use? -

If you have read my recent post, I had the clutch changed and it has made a difference to how the car drives. I know you have diesel so have the dual mass flywheel, but it could be a worn clutch. I have heard a failing DMF which rattles. A worn clutch either slips or judders, or if the pressure plate is faulty, that can cause judder too. Where is the biting point on the pedal? Another component is the concentric slave/bearing unit. When I had the clutch changed, that was changed too. Overall the clutch pedal feel/action and weight, improved a lot. I used to stall my car a lot, and now not at all. The pedal is extremely light. Moving off is smooth and I can use less revs, with no threat of jerking and stalling. The strip down would check to for any leaks too - the rear crank oil seal.

Basically it is a replacement clutch (and DMF). I know you did not expect to have to do this, but may be the only way to sort the issue.

Konrad    

• Like 2

Extended warranties provide cover for issues that are attributable to manufacturing faults.

Suppose what the warranty management company is saying to the dealer is that a photo of the 'suspected' faulty part will enable them to determine whether the part has a manufacturing defect, and if so, is part of the supporting evidence for a valid warranty claim. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

Spoke with my dealer again today, they do tend to look after us since we know them personally for many years, the cheapest part quote for the clutch kit including fly wheel comes in at 600.00 including vat, labour at 500 including vat, however after speaking to a local mechanic he recommended we buy the parts from Eurocarparts Luk branded and he'd charge me 140.00 labour.

Considering which way to go now And considering that the judder isn't really an issue except on a long journey and I assume the clutch is really hot. We did a 300 mile round trip,this weekend and experienced hardly any judder at all.

We did have an excessive white smoke issue too with this vehicle which my dealer carried out a software update yesterday for free and that appears to have rectified that issue fingers crossed. 

Any thoughts guys

I'd go private and save £££'s. 

A mate of mine had dual mass fly wheel and clutch done at an independent garage on his 53 plate avensis d4d for £1000. Main dealer quoted £ 1500+.

Most of the cost is labour so,if one part is failing you may aswell have the whole clutch assembly done,and have the peace of mind that it will not have to be fettled with again.

Don't fancy your chances with the warranty, but you can try.

Good luck

Sorry you posted while I was typing my reply.

Yeah ,Konrad C did the same thing bought the parts of the net £250 plus £ 200 labour.

Hes put a thread on here about it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I know it is probably to late and may not even be related to the same issue you have. I have a 2003 zz1 avensis and since purchase about 3 months ago, i need a lot of revs to pull away from stand still or it tries to stall or judders like a mad thing.

I found a pipe with a hole in it, very tiny almost pin hole. Replacded this and it cured the judder.....

Cars are strange mothers.....

12 hours ago, Donnyboy said:

Hi, I know it is probably to late and may not even be related to the same issue you have. I have a 2003 zz1 avensis and since purchase about 3 months ago, i need a lot of revs to pull away from stand still or it tries to stall or judders like a mad thing.

I found a pipe with a hole in it, very tiny almost pin hole. Replacded this and it cured the judder.....

Cars are strange mothers.....

What was this pipe? It may be specific to 1ZZ engine and not the later Vmatic petrol or AD diesel engines. Sam the OP has owned a few Toyota's, and I think this is her first diesel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links