Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Removal

jaycornyn

Hello,

I'm just wondering is it difficult to remove the alternator from a 06 avensis. I read that the drive shaft needs to be removed to get it out. Is there a manual or walk through on how to do it. I've no lift or 'special' tools, basically just a socket set and spanners.

You are going to need more tools, the alternator is right down the back of the engine, at least for the diesel ad engines. You will indeed have to remove the driveshaft if yours is an ad.engine. I don't know about the other engines, unfortunately your profile doesn't give much away re which model you have, at least via tapatalk.

Sorry about that. In a bit of a panic to get it done.

it's an 06 2.0 D4D Avensis. Indicators in the mirrors so I think it's the newer one. Not sure the exact engine type but the alternator is on the back drivers side of the engine. Down quite low but at the top of the pulley setup if the makes sense.

Yes it's either 2.0 or 2.2 ad engine and you'll need to remove the driveshaft. You'll have to pop the bottom ball joint on the offside to get that off.

It doesn't sound like an awful job. Maybe a bit harder without a lift. Really hard to get a second hand replacement. Rang more then 10 breakers and can't get one so was hoping to take it off and get it rebuilt/refurbished.

Thanks Duggerz!

If it's the rectifier pack I know these are available, I just checked on fleabay. Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.

I'll keep you posted!

I have a manual here, it goes through the full break down of the alternator but not actually removing it. Anyone know where I could get a manual on removing the alternator?

Thanks!

You will need to buy plenty of PlusGas spray. I tried to get the alternator off my Corolla last year, and it had been on there for 10 years probably and would not move. Soaked the bolts in the stuff, and it came away so easy.

WD40 has nothing on PlusGas.

Update..

Decided not to go at it myself. Couldn't get a second hand alternator anywhere. Rang about 15 breakers. So, decided to get a new one. New alternator was 220 euro garage price. Got all done and new gearbox oil for 285 euro. All going good now. Apart from a flat tyre today!

Thanks for your help!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links