Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.6 valvematic tapping/knocking sound

Søren Hansen

Hallo all. 

A week ago our family got a new used Auris sport tourer 1.6 valvematic 132 hp. And it runs great. It is a 2014 with 13.000 km on the clock. 

It does however have a noise from the engine that worries me a bit. It is a tapping/knocking noise that's sounds like it is coming from the back of the cylinder head. It goes away when you raise the rpm's. it it only notacible when the bonnet is open. But quite clear to hear when the bonnet is open.  I have found videos of other valvematic engines on YouTube, that has that sound. But no one can say if it normal or bad.  I do however have a hard time believing that a Toyota engine will develop engine knocking in 13000 km. I cannot find anything on Danish websites( I am Danish ) 

But what does the experts here say? Any one here have an idea what I might be facing? 

Thanks you all. 

And have a great day. 😊

Søren 

I posted the same a week or so ago.

I have the same engine and a tapping/mechanic noise from the back of the head. I think it's from the VVT unit.

Mine seems worse when hot. But doesn't affect performance and can't hear it when revs are picked up.

Hi Wayne. 

Apparently it is a common thing on these engines. And nothing do be worried about. I was at the Toyota dealer today. And a mechanic came out and explained that the sound is from a vacuum pump mounted on the cylinder head.  And that it is more noticeable at idle because of a wide open trotthlebody at idle. He assured it was completely normal and all was good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Søren Hansen said:

Hi Wayne. 

Apparently it is a common thing on these engines. And nothing do be worried about. I was at the Toyota dealer today. And a mechanic came out and explained that the sound is from a vacuum pump mounted on the cylinder head.  And that it is more noticeable at idle because of a wide open trotthlebody at idle. He assured it was completely normal and all was good. 

Spot on. My 1.8 2ZR-FAE Valvematic does exactly the same, and I remembered that the engine inlet cannot produce vacuum, just like diesels. Because it is petrol, the ticking is more noticeable compared to a diesel. All Valvematic engines are the same.

Exactly what he said. And nice to hear from others that it actually is normal. 😊 I was a bit worried to be honest.  Also because I got mine at a good price because it hat bin standing at the dealer for a yeah. Even though it had bin stored inside there used cars showroom. I was worried something had bin damaged from being shut off for a year. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links