Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warranty/Service question

martin68

I bought my Auris Hybrid on the 1st May 2017 and love driving it.

but I have a couple of questions regarding the 5 year Warranty and Service intervals.

The car was first registered in January 2014 and I have service History up until October 2015

The hand book says that 5 years or 60000 miles Warranty, but my car has already done 79000 miles.

Does this mean I no longer have a Warranty on the Hybrid parts? 

I read somewhere that the 60,000miles was changed to 100,000 miles.

If its the case that 100,000 miles now applies, but the last known service history entry was October 2015 does that also now mean my Warranty is void due to it not having been serviced since?

Finally, Is it essential to take it to a Toyota dealer apposed to a non dealer for a service and hybrid check? How much should this likely to cost?

Prior to 1st June 2010, vehicles sold by Toyota GB were covered by a 3 year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first) new car warranty.

Vehicles sold new by Toyota GB since 1st June 2010 have been covered by a 5 year/100,000 mile (whichever occurs first) new car warranty.

As your car is a 2013 hybrid, the hybrid components warranty is the same as the new car warranty - 5 years/100,000 miles. However the hybrid Battery is covered for 8 years/100,000 miles (whichever occurs first).See - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty.json

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. There is one month or 1,000 miles (whichever occurs first) leeway on servicing. As your car was last serviced in October 2015, the service is overdue by months, and the warranty will probably be affected - although just how, is difficult to determine, until a warranty claim is made.

Hybrid health checks are carried out by Toyota dealers free of charge when a service is undertaken. Alternatively, if servicing is undertaken elsewhere, the owner can buy a hybrid health check from a Toyota dealer - around £39. Any hybrid check done outside the Toyota dealer network, won't have the extended Battery warranty.

If the hybrid Battery warranty has expired, a hybrid health check will provide an extended battery warranty of one year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The hybrid health check battery warranty can be extended up to the vehicle's 10th birthday, and if a hybrid health check is undertaken immediately before the 10th birthday, the battery warranty effectively provides up to 11 years cover.

As regards cost of a service, it depends whether the car has been serviced on the time or the mileage basis, and what service (Intermediate, Full or Full+) is due. For example if less than 10,000 miles are covered within a year, servicing will be on the time basis. If more than 10,000 miles are covered within a year, servicing should be on the mileage basis (ie every 10,000).

See the following for what is covered for each service, and service costs - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

if bought from a toyota dealer you should have a 12month warranty on it anyway.

I bought mine from an auction, so i had no warranty although i got it cheap for only 8.5k.

Though there is nothing wrong with my car, I checked the oil and its golden on the dip stick, also all fluids are topped up, so i'm guessing it must have had a service recently or who ever had it before me (it was a fleet car) looked after it well, but that contradicts why the last known service was in Oct. 2015

I think I will have to pop into my local Toyota dealer to ask them what options i still have regarding the warranty.

If you use the my Toyota app it will give you a breakdown of any work done within the Toyota dealer network so you would see if it has had a recent Toyota service.

• Like 1

I went to my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me 3 service prices; £185- intermediate (not sure what this invloves), £355- full and  £395- full plus

What does intermediate include?, I was told that full plus included new spark plugs.

I found this very expensive as I bought a Hybrid car to save on fuel costs, yet it seems the savings i'll make will now go on servicing costs, so i'm not really gaining anything.

I was also told that a Hybrid health check is £39, but free with the service.

If I took the car to my cheaper local garage to be serviced, they stressed to me that it's extremely important to use the correct oil, so that makes me wonder if they are just trying to put me off taking it to my local car garage. but i'm sure my local garage can get the correct oil.

I was also told that the Battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but forgot to ask what the clauses are, so if i only use Toyota dealer to do an annual hybrid health check, but not a service, will this keep the Battery covered for 8 years?

One more thing, I only do about 2000 miles a year, and on my Peugeot i used to have a spanner symbol flag up on the dash board that a service was due, does the Auris flag up a service reminder on the dash board? and with doing only 2000 a year, 12 months seems too soon to keep servicing it at such high costs that Toyota want.

The bit about the oil is, it should be 0-20w.

You can use 5 -30w as a temporary measure and should be changed at the next service.

No service indicator, like other makes.

Using my Toyota, you can find out what history Toyota has on the car. Recently all the history is now online, so it doesn't matter how many owners the has had, you can see what has happened to the car from the 1st owners purchase.

Ask at the dealer for a quote on a service plan, you can spread the cost of service and mot over several years.

I get mine serviced every 12 months, despite only doing 3000 miles per year. The service costs are less than my old car and one key difference, no clutch to replace.

The Auris doesn't have a service reminder. 

As I said previously Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The Intermediate service is done at year 1, 3, 5, etc The Full service is done at year 2, 4, etc.

The Full+ service includes additional service items not done under either the Intermediate of Full. The frequency of the Full+ depends on the model. For example spark plugs are due to be changed at 6 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first; coolant is due to be replaced at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Replacement of these are covered in the Full+.

The following web page includes downloadable pdf's which state what each of the service levels include - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

Without knowing which services the car has had to date, whether it was serviced on the time basis or the mileage basis, or whether up to October 2015 it had a Toyota service history, it is difficult to say which service this vehicle should be due now.

I would say that the hybrid Battery warranty, as with the new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles) would be subject to the vehicle being serviced in accordance with Toyota's requirements - ie every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. 

The hybrid health check extends the hybrid Battery warranty, once the original hybrid Battery warranty has expired. So in your case, as the vehicle has an 8 year/100,000 miles hybrid battery warranty, the hybrid health check won't extend the hybrid battery warranty until either the 8 years or 100,000 mile limit has been exceeded.

Must confess that on an annual mileage of only 2,000, I would imagine fuel savings would be fairly minimal.

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Must confess that on an annual mileage of only 2,000, I would imagine fuel savings would be fairly minimal.

yes lol, im aware that my fuel savings will be minimal, but after being used to driving a diesel i wanted the same if not better mpg that my diesel Peugeot 407 gave me, but i could not go for another diesel because i don't do long enough motorway journeys to clear out the soot and as a consequence my dpf filter became so blocked, that my garage told me it was like a lump of coal stuck inside it, and that joke cost me £600, not to mention so many other faults mainly electrical that the car kept getting, and on top of that it had 126000 miles on the original cam belt, so it was time to get rid and upgrade to a hybrid. It wasnt about the fuel saving but i also didnt want to go back down to only 30mpg which is the average petrol car, also i like the technology of being able to run on Battery, im the envy of all my friends just because my car is different to theirs!

i'm loving it so far, but theres always questions and advice to ask for as there is with any car.

• Like 1

With petrol and diesel roughly the same price these days, I like to rub it in at work, that it only costs me 40 quid to fill the tank from empty.

Some of them don't even get near to 400 miles per tank, some even hate the fact my road tax is 0.

5 hours ago, martin68 said:

? and with doing only 2000 a year, 12 months seems too soon to keep servicing it at such high costs that Toyota want.

The warranty is dependent upon you servicing according to Toyota's standards & schedule (the same as applies to any other manufacturer) but it doesn't have to be done by a Toyota dealer.

Once it hits  5 years old it will become eligible for the reduced cost Essential Care at Toyota dealers